IGNORED

tattoos

keltoi

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This the only advice I'd give about tattoos. I suppose I'll have this talk with my kids at some point:

1. Have it represent your lifelong persona, memories, interests - don't make it look like your Netflix queue or Spotify feed

2. Symbols and pop culture is always in flux - something apolitical or innocent one day could become a fringe sociopolitical dog whistle or even an overt symbol of something very negative. 

That said, even as someone who will likely never get one, I find it fascinating how much social acceptance has shifted toward accepting them. They really used to be a divisive symbol of class or subculture or both. As a kid if I saw an elderdy person with tats I assumed they had some stint in the military or some rough and/or interesting part of their life. Now at some point they will be a very typical sight. Not saying it's a bad thing at all but it's def a big change.

Strange, innit m8? Used to be ultra-fringe. Now, like, even my mom has 3 tats (albeit small). BTW, great advice. The missus and I have talked it through (partly for future child rearing talks) and came to the same basic points. Oh, a good #3 you might add (credit my Taiji teacher): 3. Make sure you are ABSOLUTELY SURE what something means in another language before you get it tattooed on your body 

There's a pretty good series on Netflix called Explained (by Vox magazine) that has a good episode on tattoos:

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/1/17635652/tattoo-explained-netflix

That show looks dope! Like that the episodes are very short/broken up to focus on specific topics. 

1. Have it represent your lifelong persona, memories, interests - don't make it look like your Netflix queue or Spotify feed

This is exactly why I never got one. I don't want one that badly and I have a real hard time thinking of something that I'm not going to get sick of but also isn't too on the nose. The ones I got closest to getting were "persistence is all" (I also considered 頑張れ) on my wrist but then I have to think of a font and I'd also feel like kind of a poser because although I like Coil, I'm not their #1 fan and I'm also not Japanese. So, yeah, I got nothin'.

well they tour around, they'll be in San Francisco November-December, so I'd have to travel if I wanted to catch him soon, just not overseas..

this is actually the second time I've inquired for a tattoo, and rather then get an automated email, I got in contact with his manager..

anyway I still think their tattoos are the best for their particular style. if you check, there's another artists who does some Jackson Pollock-esque ink, which looks really sick. although a bit too extreme to consider on myself

https://www.instagram.com/black_ink_power/

those pollock jizz ones are pretty nice

but with wrinkly skin they might look like a dermatological problem

Archived