which would probably classify it as 'swing'

which was the dominant strain of jazz in the 20's 30's and early 40's

early 'bebop' was conservative in that way too

though a bit more syncopated

i'm not sure when that tune's actually from

the sound quality seems more 50's than 30's

Edited by LimpyLoo

Guest murphythecat8

that is like in the transition from cool jazz to hard bop. definitely a recording from at least the 50's, my guess is mid 50's

Edited by murphythecat8

Guest murphythecat8

I'll check out your guitar list, Murphy the cat.

well they are all classics by now. the joe pass is for real maniacs fan who like to really try to understand the solo.

wes, kenny and grant green and much more accessible.

Edited by murphythecat8

Joe Pass is indeed virtuosic but he's a bit of a lick machine

the problem with the history of jazz guitar

is that pretty much all the guitarists lagged behind the horn players and pianists in the chops department

Guest murphythecat8

is that pretty much all the guitarists lagged behind the horn players and pianists in the chops department

I dont see and hear any problem with joe pass, his virtuosic lines are so virtuosic that I love it, but its for real maniacs I guess.

pretty much all the guitarist? not my opinion, Wes, Green, Metheny, Burell all hold their own as much as horn players but I agree that guitar jazz has much less top/original players then horns or piano players.

I dont see and hear any problem with joe pass, his virtuosic lines are so virtuosic that I love it, but its for real maniacs I guess.

pretty much all the guitarist? not my opinion, Wes, Green, Metheny, Burell all hold their own as much as horn players but I agree that guitar jazz has much less top/original players then horns or piano players.

Metheny is where the guitarists start catching up in chops imo.

Guest murphythecat8

I agree, BUT not all Metheny album are born equal. He has one of the most large discography of jazz guitarist, the biggest actually.

you have to know what to listen from him, otherwise you are lost

Guest murphythecat8

For 2 years, Ive listen to 100% jazz all the time. I had gave up on electronica and well I can say I know my jazz.

Metheny is the most intimate, most emotional player out there. For non jazz fan, he is THE guitarist to listen. he is able to take jazz and turn it into something more accessible, while staying in the tradition. A genius imo.

heres a top 5 metheny:

Bright size life

Watercolors

Rejoicing

Questions and answer
trio live

I could also make a top 5 of Green or Wes if anyones interested!

Edited by murphythecat8

I agree, BUT not all Metheny album are born equal. He has one of the most large discography of jazz guitarist, the biggest actually.

you have to know what to listen from him, otherwise you are lost

echh yeah

he does a lot of smooth weather-channel shit

i'm really just referring to his facility on the instrument

not the quality of his music

heres a top 5 metheny:

Bright size life

Watercolors

Rejoicing

Questions and answer

trio live

i agree except for Watercolors

dunno what i'd put there though

To me Wes going Bossa Nova is the best out there. So chill

yeah then he went pop and did shit like "California Dreaming" lol

Guest murphythecat8

heres a top 5 metheny:

Bright size life

Watercolors

Rejoicing

Questions and answer

trio live

80/81 then?

Watercolors is really a personnal record album for me. Its right when I began my journey into jazz.

heres a top 5 metheny:

Bright size life

Watercolors

Rejoicing

Questions and answer

trio live

80/81 then?

Watercolors is really a personnal record album for me. Its right when I began my journey into jazz.

I would pick that Michael Brecker record with "Song for Bilboa"

I just mean generally speaking.

Django had a rhythmic rigor and harmonic knowledge (aka an ability to "play the changes") that surpasses most guitar players, two qualities which are mostly found in horn players. I'm not criticizing specific players so much as I'm pointing out that jazz guitar as a discipline was late to bloom, and if you picked up a guitar in 1960 with the intention of playing jazz, there wasn't a clear, well-trodden path ahead of you and a body of guitar-related academia to study behind you. If you want to find precedent for a guitarist like Wes Montgomery you gotta look to tenor players, not guitar players. For instance, even a genius like Wes had a rather limited harmonic vocabulary as far as actual voicings go. If you look at his chord-melody transcriptions you see drop-2 voicings and variations thereof, and that's it.

The generation after Wes, however, is where guitarists in general started to catch up a little bit. You had dudes like Pat Martino and Pat Metheny who could burn over changes like "Giant Steps," a feat that pretty much no guitarists before them could accomplish. And I'm not talking about speed so much as I'm talking about being able to play the changes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...