IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

burst water main down the road. Annoying, no water to cook din dins. Really a second or third world problem because this is the second time in two years this has happened. The website of the water provider says '10 houses effected' but there are way more houses on that street than the number quoted not to mention everyone downstream from it like our house. They just want their stats to look better so that they don't have to upgrade birsbane's plumbing. Bonuses all round for the pointless vampires that run our society.

a cat fight woke me up in the middle of the night, they must have been just feet from my open window. scared the shit out of me. ,,,, at first i didn't know it was cats, sounded like a fucking banshee.

a cat fight woke me up in the middle of the night, they must have been just feet from my open window. scared the shit out of me. ,,,, at first i didn't know it was cats, sounded like a fucking banshee.

Good thing I read the whole post. When I hear "cat fight" it's rare that it's in a literal context.

Good thing I read the whole post. When I hear "cat fight" it's rare that it's in a literal context.

lol, i know

So, there has been an ongoing thing between myself and moneymart. Long story short, my dad is very very sick and I send money to him monthly. They denied one of my money transfers in October and since then they refuse to let me use their services. They have given me ZERO explanation as to why, and only said I am not allowed to use their services anywhere in the world to send OR receive money.

So I opened a BBB complaint. It's already the end of january and I finally get a response. It's the SAME FUCKING GENERIC RESPONSE THEY TOLD ME OVER THE PHONE IN OCTOBER!

Re: Western Union

Dear Stephen G,

Western Union continually monitors the use of its systems to understand its customers’ usage. We apologize for any disruption in your ability to conduct money transfers and any inconvenience this may have caused.

Western Union’s Financial Service, Inc.’s (“Western Union”) Money Transfer Service Terms and Conditions (“Terms and Conditions”) provide that Western Union has the right to refuse service to anyone. We have reviewed the information you provided and have made a business decision to refuse and refund this transaction and any transactions you may attempt to send or receive in the future. This means Western Union will not accept any funds transmittal payments from you and will not pay out any funds transmittal payments to you (such transmittals will either be refused altogether, returned to the initiating party, or otherwise handled in accordance with applicable law).

Sincerely,

Compliance Department

I get it, theres other money services out there. But at this point it's a matter of principle and I'm pissed off.

My dad needs medicine, food, supplies... he is on a fixed income and unfit to work. And they've used some internal algorithm or some bullshit to figure out I'm a terrorist or something that shouldn't be allowed to send money? wtf bullshit is that?

Anyways I've responded and contacted sun media.

Edited by StephenG

solution : bitcoin

Who is sun media, if it's the local newspaper, good idea. Who could resist a son looks after ailing father getting shafted by big company story.

Canada wide newspaper. I'm pissed off! They haven't given me a reason or even the chance to respond. It's scary because I travel a lot.

What if I'm travelling abroad and have a money emergency and need to receive money? western union being so international I could easily find myself in a situation where they were my only way out.

Wish I had the brains to make this viral to force them to respond.

Social Media is great for these kinds of purposes: I'm talking reddit. We need to get this to the frontpage.

We also need a hashtag for twitter.

Ok. Let's make a list:

- Reddit: How do we get to the frontpage of Reddit? Reddit is an American site, so the best time to post this is in the early evening on the west-coast. This way L.A. just comes back from work, while N.Y. is lazingly maxing relaxing. I think it'd be wise to do this on a Friday or Sunday: Fridays people are all excited for the weekend. Downside is that they might be so happy that they're not up for social justice. Perhaps the Sunday is better.

The trick is to make it viral, quick: when the thread is made, we need a force to upload the shit out of it: I'm talking 100 votes within 10 minutes. This way it becomes a trending topic, and gets out of the infinite pool of new, gets more attention, more upvotes because it's a good cause and people want to feel good.

- Hashtag. I'm really bad at this. Someone else needs to come up with something #EmergencyJustice

- The story: Well Stephen's got a good story already. Might want to make it more accessible. Do you think Stephen should make the post himself, or should someone else do it? (i.e. 'A friend of mine got this bank transfer blocked becaue yadda yadda' input appreciated)

Overall input appreciated.

-edit- spelling

Edited by Guest

Social Media is great for these kinds of purposes: I'm talking reddit. We need to get this to the frontpage.

We also need a hashtag for twitter.

Ok. Let's make a list:

- Reddit: How do we get to the frontpage of Reddit? Reddit is an American site, so the best time to post this is in the early evening on the west-coast. This way L.A. just comes back from work, while N.Y. is lazingly maxing relaxing. I think it'd be wise to do this on a Friday or Sunday: Fridays people are all excited for the weekend. Downside is that they might be so happy that they're not up for social justice. Perhaps the Sunday is better.

The trick is to make it viral, quick: when the thread is made, we need a force to upload the shit out of it: I'm talking 100 votes within 10 minutes. This way it becomes a trending topic, and gets out of the infinite pool of new, gets more attention, more upvotes because it's a good cause and people want to feel good.

- Hashtag. I'm really bad at this. Someone else needs to come up with something #EmergencyJustice

- The story: Well Stephen's got a good story already. Might want to make it more accessible. Do you think Stephen should make the post himself, or should someone else do it? (i.e. 'A friend of mine got this bank transfer blocked becaue yadda yadda' input appreciated)

Overall input appreciated.

-edit- spelling

Not sure if being patronizing or serious. If it's the latter, thanks because I have no knowledge of social media and didn't realize stuff worked like that.

I don't know what to say. Is it feasible to get something like this noticed? I think it's a relevant story. I imagine I'm being branded a security risk or something because I'm sending money monthly and it's about $900 a month, does that flag me somehow? How many people that legitimately need this service are being flagged and turned down?

I'm so mad about it but I feel powerless.

Being helpful. I'm pretty tired of being a sardonic cunt: my intentions are of good.

It's fucking ridiculous that you're getting flagged for sending money for help for gods sake. Have you tried calling them btw? Calling often works better than e-mailing. Dropping by the bank even works better, because it's hard to ignore a person.

Being helpful. I'm pretty tired of being a sardonic cunt: my intentions are of good.

It's fucking ridiculous that you're getting flagged for sending money for help for gods sake. Have you tried calling them btw? Calling often works better than e-mailing. Dropping by the bank even works better, because it's hard to ignore a person.

thanks =)

I've talked to them on the phone several times and all they say is they can refuse service to anyone and that they don't have access to why I'm not allowed to use it. So I ask to be transferred to the security department and everyone in that department says "well, we don't have access to why either but you have to fill out this questionnaire". so I provide medical receipts including my dads receipt for a prosthetic leg that I recently paid for, I include mine and my wife's proof of income to show I can afford it. No response for 2 months.

So I contacted the better business bureau and put through a concern. Another month and a half and their response to my BBB complaint is the same shit they told me in October. We refuse you service. Sorry for any inconvenience.

WHAT THE SHIT

http://consumerist.com

tell them about it too

Interesting? Looking into it now.

Consumer advocates of some sort?

wtf

what a bunch of monkeys. why the shit do they have such a job if they can't even help their customers? i think it's time to barge in the local bank with this story, and do not leave until you get a proper response or, even better, the lift of this ridiculous ban.

wtf

what a bunch of monkeys. why the shit do they have such a job if they can't even help their customers? i think it's time to barge in the local bank with this story, and do not leave until you get a proper response or, even better, the lift of this ridiculous ban.

My thoughts exactly! I'm going to keep doing what I can. I'll wait for the newspaper to get back to me hopefully I can get a story going. This is wrong on so many levels =(

thanks for your support :happy:

wtf

My thoughts exactly! I'm going to keep doing what I can. I'll wait for the newspaper to get back to me hopefully I can get a story going. This is wrong on so many levels =(

Stephen, it's a legal issue. You have a contract with them, and if there's a clause which says they can stop giving you access to services - because of whatever - they prolly have the right, like they say. The answer is in your contract with them. Imo not in reddit or personal principles or broader moral values and what not.

So you've got two options: legal help ( you have your rights as well, so there might be some clause which could force them to give you their services), or the services of another company. To what extent have they communicated they'd stop giving you their services? Was there a warning of some kind?

wtf

Stephen, it's a legal issue. You have a contract with them, and if there's a clause which says they can stop giving you access to services - because of whatever - they prolly have the right, like they say. The answer is in your contract with them. Imo not in reddit or personal principles or broader moral values and what not.

So you've got two options: legal help ( you have your rights as well, so there might be some clause which could force them to give you their services), or the services of another company. To what extent have they communicated they'd stop giving you their services? Was there a warning of some kind?

You're probably right. That said it wouldn't hurt to get some public support to put some pressure on them.

I've done absolutely nothing other than send money through their service.

There was no warning.

This is what happened:

I went at the end of the month (october) to send money as usual. They accepted my money and gave me a MTCN (money transfer confirmation number). I made my parents drive an hour to the nearest town to pick it up. On their side, they were told they weren't allowed to pick it up. I called western union, and they said that they were now refusing service to me and I was unable to send or accept money any where in the world. To add to it, they didn't remit the funds to my card. They made me drive 45 minutes to the nearest money mart and pick it up. They wouldn't remit the money to my bank card either, they forced me accept cash so now I had to go to the bank to deposit it.

There was no warning, there was no communication, and there still hasn't been. They've simply said you can no longer use Western Union anywhere in the world with no explanation. As far as I can see there's absolutely no way I could have breached any contract. I simply go to the store, fill out the paper with all my information and send money. =/

I know someone that works for the MP and we're talking later on about consumer advocacy and what avenues I can take.

Guest disparaissant

yeah i mean even if it's not technically breaking contract, it's a stupid business practice that probably needs to be examined a little more closely. bringing it to the public's attention that you can be labelled by western union as a 'risk' for whatever reason and with no recourse is not a bad idea at all.

goDel - public pressure can often force companies to change how they operate.

So while I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis, if someone feels strongly enough to advocate for change, why dissuade them from exploring all their avenues?

yeah i mean even if it's not technically breaking contract, it's a stupid business practice that probably needs to be examined a little more closely. bringing it to the public's attention that you can be labelled by western union as a 'risk' for whatever reason and with no recourse is not a bad idea at all.

That was my thoughts exactly. I'm equating systematically labeling someone as a risk without any explanation or further discourse/conversation with the customer is actually a form of discrimination, in a way. Maybe I'm just being butthurt about it? I just think it's wrong.

Perhaps they were informed through the NSA which read your posts here at WATMM? Next time of you're discussing about Snowden/Greenwald try to agree with eugene and maybe you can start using the old route again.

;D

Definitely try and get your story out there. It's a shit situation and whatever their reasons are for stopping it seems unreasonable. They haven't suggested a way for you to arrange it and make both you and your parents waste time and money getting your money back, the first time anyway. Absolute shitbags!