IGNORED

Korg Poly 800?

Guest The Bro

Guest Promo

I've known about this synth for some time. A friend of mine had one I think. Anyways was listening to this guy playing all these different patches last night and thought how nice this synth sounds. Shame they're going for like £300 odd on ebay otherwise I though it might be fun to get one. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6bG8PpSDPk

Guest Promo

I have one with the inverted keys...I think I paid $150Cdn for it from someone local.

It has sort of a Terminatory 80s action sci-fi sound to it, I think.

Nice. Yeah it kinda caught my imagine when I heard all those patches played on it last night and plus it has midi which obviously cool. I seem to recall these going for about £150 about 5 years back but analogue gear has shot up like wild fire.

I have a DW-8000, which I really like, it's similar to the poly 800, but it sounds a lot better (to my ears). The poly 800 isn't really worth it imo, typical hipster toy.

Guest sirch

don't bother. you will never find one for sale! and they're quite similar sounding synths with similar capabilites, anyway.

the Poly-61 is in no way miiiles better, and the Poly-800 is definitely not "shit"... lol

here are some facts: 61M's are very rare. even the regular Poly-61's (without MIDI) are pretty rare. but they are cheap! (£100-£200)

expect to pay around £150-£250 for a 61M, if you can find one!!

edit: ^ in reply to BCMs post about the Poly-61

I can't edit my answer, but I felt I needed to clarify, if you can get the poly 800 for £75-150 you'll be allright, but I don't think it's worth around £300.

they (poly61M) are quite rare yes, but you see them pop up on ebay from time to time. normal poly61s come up quite often from what i've seen, but no midi as you say so not as useful.

DW8000s are also wicked.

ok it's not shit, in that it is a fairly capable synthesizer with a neat little sequencer, but there are other things you could get for the same sort of money which are superior IMO (eg DW6000/8000).

It sounds pretty good for certain things (sharp saw chords with just a bit of detune), but I find the range rather limited (the filter doesn't really do it for me & it ain't much for sine waves).

Guest sirch

I can't edit my answer, but I felt I needed to clarify, if you can get the poly 800 for £75-150 you'll be allright, but I don't think it's worth around £300.

yeah i agree. don't pay 300 quid for one!! not worth it.

also, ya, the DW's sound good from what i've seen/heard. again very '80's sounding', tho.. like the Poly-800, but much more capable.

maybe look into an EX-800 ?, as they seem to be cheaper than the Poly-800. they're like the desktop module version of the 800... they look better, too.

Guest Promo

I have a DW-8000, which I really like, it's similar to the poly 800, but it sounds a lot better (to my ears). The poly 800 isn't really worth it imo, typical hipster toy.

Hipster toy lol. ;p

The fella from Arbroath that I got my A5000 from was recently selling a Poly-800, DW8000 and a DS8 all for £350. He advertised just before pay-day and so was snapped up before I could get my arse in gear. Was a bit miffed as I thought it was a cracking price for the three of them. Although if I'm honest, the gem of that bundle is the DS8. Totally different beast to what's being talked here.

Guest sirch

The fella from Arbroath that I got my A5000 from was recently selling a Poly-800, DW8000 and a DS8 all for £350. He advertised just before pay-day and so was snapped up before I could get my arse in gear. Was a bit miffed as I thought it was a cracking price for the three of them. Although if I'm honest, the gem of that bundle is the DS8. Totally different beast to what's being talked here.

yeah, definitely. i was gonna mention the DS8. but like you say, it's a totally different thing.

also, £350 for that lot is ridiculous!! somebody got an incredible deal there!

Guest analogue wings

Unlike the Poly800, the Poly61 is a true polysynth. Oddly limited range, given it out specs a Juno, but what it does is really nice and it gets you out of that Juno rut nicely. I've never seen or heard of a Poly61M for sale.

Unlike the Poly800, the Poly61 is a true polysynth. Oddly limited range, given it out specs a Juno, but what it does is really nice and it gets you out of that Juno rut nicely. I've never seen or heard of a Poly61M for sale.

There is currently one for sale at SOS. The guy is looking for £500 ono but claims that "You won't find a better example."

Don't know if you're actually looking for one or not but there's a lead...

best value polysynth 2nd had is the AN1x

I'd agree whole-heartedly that the AN1x is an excellent synth and great value especially in comparison to the 2nd hand prices for Nord Leads. It has some nice features that will set it apart from the likes of the Nord and others from that era such as free EGs, more flexible osc sync and such like.

That said, and maybe I'm being pedantic, but I don't really think of it as a polysynth. It's VA and so is different unless you're using polysynth to describe any polyphonic synth in which case you'd be as well to suggest a Korg X5 as the best value risking the wrath of the WATMM anti-rompler brigade.

Thanks but I already have 2 Poly61 non-Ms and that guy is trying it on a bit

the only hw synth I own, I love, unfortunately mine has problems with bad contacting keys, no midi, I'm screwed :( :facepalm:

Is the an1x really any good? I never gave it a chance, I've always thought it was a preset machine for some reason.

Is the an1x really any good? I never gave it a chance, I've always thought it was a preset machine for some reason.

It came out around the same time as the CS1x which looked very similar as was more of a rompler aimed at the dance market of the time. It's of a similar vintage to the Roland JP8000 and the Nord Lead as the first "wave" of virtual analogue but was slightly less fashionable (probably due to the reduced number of knobs on it). I persuaded my band mate at the time to invest in one and he never really got beyond the presets but I always enjoyed playing about it at rehearsals. Anyway, as luck would have it I came across one in a pawn shop earlier this year for £170 and so I snapped it up. It certainly lives up to the memory I have from back in the day and if anything I'd say it was better than I had the knowledge/experience to take advantage of back then.

Anyway, there are plenty good resources on the web about it... the page at Sealed Deep Synthesis is pretty decent for an overview:

http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/ds_an1x.html

Oh shit, I had it mixed up with the CS1X, never occured to me it was a totally different beast. Looks decent!

The an1x is a dark horse mainly because yamaha gave it the same shitty UI as the entry level dance rompler crx1 but the an1x had a better aftertouch board on par with a k2000

the an1x has a filter feedback and licenced aphex enhancer and poly unison which can beef the sound up almost to a jupiter 6 level

i programmed some very analogue patches that i put on the yahoo group and am still hearing all over youtube

certainly a cut above the JP8000 and warmer than the G1 nords in the right hands its just a shame about the shit UI

patch morphing, 8 path control mod matrix, real time EG's and decent fx got lost in the wake of the 2nd gen virus' and supernovas

fucks all over a poly800 even if it is a VA

Archived