IGNORED

best all in one pc of 2011

keltoi

my work pc's are due for an upgrade...

got to be fast, powerful, capable of handling greedy 3-D graphics tasks, minimum screen size 23 inches, not bothered about touch screen, and if possible well built & stylish with decent longevity. hard drive space not important as they will be linked to network.

any recommendations are most welcome.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get a custom build kel.

if you can't put it together yourself you'll find a wee pc shop that will for a nominal fee, and it'll be better than a ready build, and also won't come with all the extraneous bundled crap that you always get. it would probably wind up cheaper for the spec too.

that's if you're planning a desktop.

Do you not have an IT department to help out with stuff like this?

If so they would presumably be against the custom PC route.

(don't you visual people all work with mac ideally?)

not us. :blush: Mac and AutoCAD(my industry standard software) have never been best buddies, although i think they've just released a mac version.

get a custom build kel.

if you can't put it together yourself you'll find a wee pc shop that will for a nominal fee, and it'll be better than a ready build, and also won't come with all the extraneous bundled crap that you always get. it would probably wind up cheaper for the spec too.

that's if you're planning a desktop.

can you get a custom built all-in-one? that would be cool actually.

If I had to sit 6+ hours every day in front of a computer (wait I have to) I would want a system thats stinks less, mac does stink less imho, but is not all sunshine, if you have a pc landscape it might be problematic to be the only one with mac (software volume licence etc). I would go for a bigger pc manufacturer, so you make sure that components work proberly together and they provide a customized windows (7?) so you don't have to install drivers n shit.

If you get a custom build: there so many hardware manufacturers, even if you go with the bigger ones, you may run into compatibilty problems, I had a custom build many years ago, cost a lot of money, and I had hardware issues en masse

no IT dept. our IT is outsourced but this is a little side deal we're doing with a client so we're not involving them.

If I had to sit 6+ hours every day in front of a computer (wait I have to) I would want a system thats stinks less, mac does stink less imho, but is not all sunshine, if you have a pc landscape it might be problematic to be the only one with mac (software volume licence etc). I would go for a bigger pc manufacturer, so you make sure that components work proberly together and they provide a customized windows (7?) so you don't have to install drivers n shit.

yeah i don't know the ins and outs of running macs linked to a pc based server and network. seems like it would be problematic.

It's fine. OSX can mount smb shares. The AutoCAD for OSX isn't as good as on Windows though.

I recommend going with a custom build as well. The shop that will assemble the system should do compatibility checking and you'll get a system perfectly tailored to your needs. Get a SSD!

no IT dept. our IT is outsourced but this is a little side deal we're doing with a client so we're not involving them.

Hmm, I'll see if I can't scrub up a rough idea for a PC on overclockers.co.uk. Budget of £1000 per pc? I'm not sure if they will put the box together but if not are you able to?

Hmm, I'll see if I can't scrub up a rough idea for a PC on overclockers.co.uk. Budget of £1000 per pc? I'm not sure if they will put the box together but if not are you able to?

see the reason we're looking at something off-the-shelf is that our client is a big supplier of computers and office equipment and he works with all the major names/suppliers. in order to drive us down on a job we're doing for him, he offered us the 5 pc's. so maybe custom is not feasable, i will check.

but the above offer would be cool of you for reference if you can be arsed. preferably under 1K per pc inc. vat if possible. i'd rather not have to build myself tbh. i don't want to be held responsible for anything. remember it's got to be all-in-one? my boss wants everything tidy.

I recommend going with a custom build as well. The shop that will assemble the system should do compatibility checking and you'll get a system perfectly tailored to your needs. Get a SSD!

compatibilty checking, with compicheck shareware for win7, cool, sure this can hold up well against Dells area 51 testing facility

Guest disparaissant

i don't really know that you're going to be able to get one of those with decent gfx processing power anyways, really.

i did find this thing though.

http://www.avadirect.com/desktop-pc-configurator.asp?PRID=20308

looks shitty though. and i think its us only but am not sure.

this might be okay!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220054

but its over yr budget and once again, not sure where newegg ships?

as far as my googling skills go, it seems you can't get a custom built all-in-one. no pc tower, no leads. like...

hp_touchsmart_610_871580_g1.jpg

i'll put money on it that runs really hot.

we've got an acer one the admin girl uses and it seems ok so far, but it's not up to the job i need it for.

Guest MortstoX

If I had to sit 6+ hours every day in front of a computer (wait I have to) I would want a system thats stinks less, mac does stink less imho, but is not all sunshine, if you have a pc landscape it might be problematic to be the only one with mac (software volume licence etc).

I'm using a pc at work and mac at home, and I think W7 is just as smooth and good as OSX SL. If your co-workers use PC, and the software you use is better on a PC, then go for a PC.

Guest theSun

why does it have to be all in one?

srsly if you need a nice all in one get an imac and run bootcamp. but you can save a lot of money going with traditional desktop pc.

why does it have to be all in one?

srsly if you need a nice all in one get an imac and run bootcamp. but you can save a lot of money going with traditional desktop pc.

boss wants things tidied up round here. mac's are no go.

Guest theSun

well tell your boss he's stupid and should wait until there are better quality all in ones for reasonable prices.

just put the tower in a flower-laden decorative box with some soil and tell them it's a free gift that hooks up to their new "PC" and that the flower box grabs optimum pH and watering cycles from the internets. it's really high tech.

Archived