IGNORED

'84 Pontiac Dream

six

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know the source of the sample at 0:28? Sounds like some kind of old program ident, it's one of the most nostalgic things I've ever heard.

Part of the melody in a recurring section of the track is built from what sounds like a 1980's corporate jingle (e.g. at 0:27-0:30 on the right channel). This helps the listener remember (if they lived through it) the time period when corporations and organizations were using a certain type of synthetic sound for their catchy jingle melodies to seem "futuristic" and "forward-thinking" while their logo was displayed on the TV. For many this sound should create a nostalgic feeling. Today we still come across these audio-visual artifacts on certain old VHS tapes, which are usually pretty worn out and imperfect, further enhancing the nostalgia when we re-experience them. BoC, using a jingle in a track with such a title, might be illustrating how certain sensory perceptions experienced repetitively in waking life (as these jingles were in 1984) can become part of the texture in a dream and furthermore that the worn quality of the recording reflects the imperfect quality of memory.

Part of the melody in a recurring section of the track is built from what sounds like a 1980's corporate jingle (e.g. at 0:27-0:30 on the right channel). This helps the listener remember (if they lived through it) the time period when corporations and organizations were using a certain type of synthetic sound for their catchy jingle melodies to seem "futuristic" and "forward-thinking" while their logo was displayed on the TV. For many this sound should create a nostalgic feeling. Today we still come across these audio-visual artifacts on certain old VHS tapes, which are usually pretty worn out and imperfect, further enhancing the nostalgia when we re-experience them. BoC, using a jingle in a track with such a title, might be illustrating how certain sensory perceptions experienced repetitively in waking life (as these jingles were in 1984) can become part of the texture in a dream and furthermore that the worn quality of the recording reflects the imperfect quality of memory.

Excellent work young man. Cool reply.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know the source of the sample at 0:28? Sounds like some kind of old program ident, it's one of the most nostalgic things I've ever heard.

It's not the source, but it could very well be the inspiration...

Link from... http://bocpages.org/wiki/%2784_Pontiac_Dream

Guest lands end road

Wow that guitar bit in the Stephen J. Cannell Productions Logo sounds just like the guitar melody at the end of Everything you do is a balloon.

Guest lands end road

While it isn't the exact same melody, they do sound similar. Also, the fact that Marcus mentions that "he played a small part that resembles the jingle of Stephen J. Cannell Productions" in the interview clip posted above leads me to believe that this isn't some uncanny coincidence. The fact that they even incorporated that guitar jingle sound at the end of Every Thing you do is a Balloon gives me impression that they added it in as a sort of homage.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

While it isn't the exact same melody, they do sound similar. Also, the fact that Marcus mentions that "he played a small part that resembles the jingle of Stephen J. Cannell Productions" in the interview clip posted above leads me to believe that this isn't some uncanny coincidence. The fact that they even incorporated that guitar jingle sound at the end of Every Thing you do is a Balloon gives me impression that they added it in as a sort of homage.

If its an homage its to John Abercrombie @ :48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkFxsxqct7Y

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

Nice find! Definitely sounds like a source of inspiration. Great album cover too.

They lifted the entire thing and threw some delay on it.

Archived