IGNORED

Recommend good DOS games

YEK

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

duke nukem games

jill of the jungle games

Because of these two being next to eachother, I initially read it as "juke nukem games" which in the context of ms-dos games, would be the most awesome thing ever.

well, at least you didn't think "jenkem"

lol. jill of the jungle was ace, i remember it had loads of secrets and weird hidden levels.

and yeah, ofcourse, sierra's Quest games. kings quest 1-3 (on 5.25" floppy) were some of the earliest games i played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyra2rwQsiA

Pyro II, completely un-PC, graphics as chunky as can be but is as fun as a very fun thing

(N.B. Not sure why the Youtuber has added though insanely bad SFX, the real thing just has PC Speaker cracklings of the burning fire)

http://hotud.org/component/content/article/43-action/20550

Oh fuck, those point and click games, amazing. I played them a lot with my mum, she was really into that stuff, anyone remember the Hugo series?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bklfbpP5J5Q

Some really fucking hard puzzles in those games. I remember one had references to some fantasy books, and we had to call a friend's mum to figure them out, hahah.

And those Lucasarts point and click games too! The Dig, Full Throttle etc. Man, games in the mid 90s were awesome.

FUCK YES so glad someone mentioned Hugo! And I owe a great portion of childhood to Lucasarts hehe

My all time favorite. This game has a smooth adlib soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfBlqyaqF3s

This game ruled, I never finished it though.

dreamweb

beneath a steel sky

srsly, get dreamweb.

the atmosphere, the music, the murders, everything is fucking amazing (don't watch the whole thing if you intend to play it though).

Second Dreamweb, such a great cyberpunk vibe in this game and the music AWESOME. Beneath a Steel Sky also had a great cyberpunk-ish atmosphere great story and abstract "hacking" puzzles ala neuromancer. Know of any other DOS games kinda like those?

This thread needs more mentions of Dune2 and the first Warcraft games. I was totally addicted to those. And the second Warcraft did especially well with Black Dog's Spanners as the soundtrack.

Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 were awesome as well. My first first person RPG. If the controls didn't suck as much, I'd still be playing those. ... If I had a couple of extra hours in a day.

Second Dreamweb, such a great cyberpunk vibe in this game and the music AWESOME. Beneath a Steel Sky also had a great cyberpunk-ish atmosphere great story and abstract "hacking" puzzles ala neuromancer. Know of any other DOS games kinda like those?

"I have no mouth and I must scream"

ellen1.png

"Dark Seed I & II"

Dark%20Seed%20II_3.jpg

darkseed_screen005.jpg

and a good modern one that's very much Beneath A Steel Sky style is "Gemini Rue"

"I have no mouth and I must scream"

ellen1.png

Is it anywhere near as fucked as the book (which i love)

Edit: now i think it, Giger + IHNMAIMS would be a match in heaven

it's based on the original Ellison short story, and as far as point&click games go it's pretty grim. but it is also a bit of a clunky game. with some crude animations and some dubious writing for instance. not as impactful as the original short story ofcourse.

Gemini Rue if I like you I promise to pay your developers, the art plus theme look very promising

heh, i finished the downloaded/iso version in pretty much one single sitting and bought it right afterwards

Did anyone else make shitty text adventures in Qbasic back in the day, surely I wasn't the only one..

yeah man, I did that together with my brother and sister when I was a kid. I wish I still had those adventures. I'm hoping to one day find a stack of paper on my parents attic. We typed them out on an old typewriter before entering them into to the computer.. didn't know how to write the programs to disc back then :biggrin: they were really simple programs so debugging wasn't really necessary, just print, goto, if and inkey (if I remember correct)..

I also got this book when I was a little older, that taught more advanced adventures. all in basic. good times.

darkseed was great, but very buggy

kind of a chore to play really, but worth it for the weirdness for me (haven't played it since looong)

populus

This thread needs more mentions of Dune2 and the first Warcraft games. I was totally addicted to those. And the second Warcraft did especially well with Black Dog's Spanners as the soundtrack.

Yeah I wasted a lot of time on the first Warcraft, as well as Red Alert serial cable multiplayer with my brother (in between Doom deathmatches, of course).

Your comment about soundtracks reminded me though; I used to play games with different music all the time. Hexen was surprisingly good with Demanufacture by Fear Factory. And I listened to The Shadows so much when playing Duke Nukem II and Commander Keen that some of their songs still trigger vivid memories of the games.

Did anyone else make shitty text adventures in Qbasic back in the day, surely I wasn't the only one..

yeah man, I did that together with my brother and sister when I was a kid. I wish I still had those adventures. I'm hoping to one day find a stack of paper on my parents attic. We typed them out on an old typewriter before entering them into to the computer.. didn't know how to write the programs to disc back then :biggrin: they were really simple programs so debugging wasn't really necessary, just print, goto, if and inkey (if I remember correct)..

I also got this book when I was a little older, that taught more advanced adventures. all in basic. good times.

I had a handful of "basic for kids" ones and Usborne's A-computer-adventure-game books that I never managed to get working in qbasic (the code supplied was in the C64 and apple dialect). Nevermind, I think the adventures played out better in my imagination of what they might be like anyway. Take this one for instance:

silvermountain.jpg

I wish they made these kind of books still. Ah life was much simpler basic back then

Archived