IGNORED

What I Miss About Counter-Strike

chaosmachine

jesus. you don't play games for the future, you play them for the now. I don't miss playing chess 10 years ago. I don't miss watching Videodrome for the first time. It stands that the experience was fun then, and if I did it now, it would be fun now. That's all that matters.

If you weren't having fun, that's one thing. I know from playing Counter Strike: Source for the past few days, I've been having fun. Yeah, it's fucking impossible, and I'm consistently at the bottom or near the bottom in every server. It IS new to me though, and I've been enjoying it. I get a few kills every 10 games or so, and those kills are pretty nice. I enjoy the gameplay. Anyway, I'm more for talking about Counter Strike than the idea of games being a waste of time in comparison with artistic endeavors, etc.

It's all about the footsteps man, listen to the footsteps

Making music has almost entirely replaced gaming for me. Actually, it seems like a game sometimes.

I haven't played Skyrim nearly anywhere near what I might have done if this was released when I wasn't making music :spiteful:

It's a lot of work but I would argue it is one that is largely satisfactory. A journey of epic self discovery (and hopefully good music too :music: ) in comparison to say my years playing counter strike when I was younger, I have only the memories to speak of.

I'm in the top 1000 MW3 players right now and I haven't even tried very hard or played all that much. This says to me that MW3 isn't that much of a game.

OR... that you're actually skilled at playing first person shooters? :derp:

what i miss most about Counter Strike was my roomate at the time who wanted to become a cop and would became a gun-nut because of counter strike. I mean not that im blaming the game, it was bound to happen anyways. I just think he's not alone in Counterstrike greasing the skids for geeks/nerds to become grunts and gun-fags

you guys must devote insane manhours to viddy games.

I managed to get through one of the busiest periods of my life and still had time to plug in an hour or two of gaming a day.

Sometimes I struggle to accept how many years I spent playing Counter-Strike. They say that mastering a field takes 10,000 hours of practice. I don't doubt that the time I spent practicing Counter-Strike approached that. Hearing myself say that makes me shudder.

Of the millions of things I could have chosen to master, Counter-Strike was it.

There's a feeling you get when you go in to something knowing you're about to execute with perfection. It's the feeling a musician gets before picking up her guitar to play for the 1000th time. The feeling Aaron Rodgers gets before slinging a spiral through a 6-inch gap passed three defenders.

That was the feeling I got playing Counter-Strike.

here's the whole thing:

http://eseanews.com/...mments&id=10446

someone else posted this quote from DFW:

But it’s better for us not to know the kinds of sacrifices the professional-grade athlete has made to get so very good at one particular thing…the actual facts of the sacrifices repel us when we see them: basketball geniuses who cannot read, sprinters who dope themselves, defensive tackles who shoot up with bovine hormones until they collapse or explode. We prefer not to consider closely the shockingly vapid and primitive comments uttered by athletes in postcontest interviews or to consider what impoverishments in one’s mental life would allow people actually to think the way great athletes seem to think. Note the way”up close and personal" profiles of professional athletes strain so hard to find evidence of a rounded human life — outside interests and activities, values beyond the sport. We ignore what’s obvious, that most of this straining is farce. It’s farce because the realities of top-level athletics today require an early and total commitment to one area of excellence. An ascetic focus. A subsumption of almost all other features of human life to one chosen talent and pursuit. A consent to live in a world that, like a child’s world, is very small…[Tennis player Michael] Joyce is, in other words, a complete man, though in a grotesquely limited way…Already, for Joyce, at twenty-two, it’s too late for anything else; he’s invested too much, is in too deep. I think he’s both lucky and unlucky. He will say he is happy and mean it. Wish him well.

I think about this now and then, what it means to sacrifice significant parts of your life to get good at something... I probably spent 500 hours playing Tekken, for example, and was ranked something like 50th in the world for a while... but why? Guitar would have been a better investment, I think.

Right now, I'm learning to draw. I've spent a couple hours on it every day for the last 6 weeks or so, and it's cool to see progress as I fill up my sketchbook...

I practise at things, but have a memory that rubs out skills or just generally form itself. I've spent 1000's of hours on guitar and yet if i leave for a few months, i can forget how to play half my repertoire. It makes life rather disheartening to think that even if i try really hard to acquire a skill or remember something, that it'll get snatched away anyway.

-sie-

I like that you're learning how to draw. Were you inspired by that thread from the other month where some kid posted his progress over a few years.

my gaming obsessions were battlezone 2, civilization 4 and wow for a while. the latter 2 are well known but battlezone 2 was a super underrated game, and as far as i know that kind of hybrid of strategy and vehicular fps wasn't properly redone in the last decade. i was one of the best pilots in there and developed some weapon combos and combat tactics that became widely accepted and used by most, i rarely took commanding duties. it was also fun because there were just a couple of hundreds players and everyone knew everyone..clan matches, flame wars, community created maps and mods...good times.

used to play q3 a lot. a lot. no guilt here at all. was in a q3ctf clan for a while, then playing a lot of rocket arena, all nighters.. still play some fps', but quakelive doesn't hold up to the old days, all the mods all the home made levels.. rocket arena, cpma (promode, basically idm quake3).

just look at it

was in a q3ctf clan for a while

me too (AiR) (ex-voto was in GpW). mental gymnastics.

tf2. etqw. hard shmups. hard s-RPGs. undecipherably hard p&c-adventure games.

mental gymnastics, bishes.

When counterstrike got big, i kept playing half life death match. I was never big on team games and quite good at HLDM, i even managed to weather and even counter the rise of the tau cannon using fags and the wallhack arsenobs (they were one and the same a lot of the time). Much to their annoyance. Then by the time that petered out i sorta stopped bothering playing games anymore. Cept for a brief go at completing the serious sams, and some other fps'.

Archived