IGNORED

Bitwig

Guest RadarJammer

Guest fiznuthian

I'll be honest... I HATE it as a DAW.

I typically use it only for producing sections and then I export those and use them as samples/stems in ableton lol.

I find reason super powerful in terms of producing, super weak for sequencing.

Hope that made sense.

Haha, yeah. That makes sense. Though what I watched of people making tunes with Reason 8 looked very intuitive to me. I strangely have somehow lost touch with making songs in clip/session view (bitwig calls it mix view, and clips are called scenes lolol). I prefer just digging right into the arrangement and duplicating clips around now. Reason 8 looked much the same as Ableton, Bitwig, Logic, etc to me but with a different GUI and maybe some different midi tools.

You use the session view in Ableton to sequence?

oh shit that's awesome. I have so many band recordings that I want to turn into electronic tracks without having to quantise anything; that looks like it'd be perfect for that kind of thing!

It might be! Try the demo I suppose. Are your recordings finished tunes or do you have the seperated tracks still? I think it would be very difficult to see all of the transients and recreate them in midi still, even with the waveform laid out.. If you had the instruments seperated it would be very easy I think.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Na, live jams recorded with two microphones. Drums and piano in the left, and guitars in the right.. or something like that. I probably won't bother but it seems like a shame to have a bunch of space/post rock jams from 2007 sitting there unreleased!

It'd be nice if reaper had a feature like that. Don't really want to shell out for bitwig just for that feature hahah.

Guest fiznuthian

Na, live jams recorded with two microphones. Drums and piano in the left, and guitars in the right.. or something like that. I probably won't bother but it seems like a shame to have a bunch of space/post rock jams from 2007 sitting there unreleased!

It'd be nice if reaper had a feature like that. Don't really want to shell out for bitwig just for that feature hahah.

I had read that Reaper was one of the other DAWs that is capable of layered editing. Might be worth checking into. :)

needed a new controller so I bought a B-stock version of Arturia Keylab25 + Bitwig pack for a discounted price of 280eu.. just got the package in, and guess what: it doesn't include Bitwig. since the keylab25 is 199 something euros I paid 80eu for a box that says Bitwig. Really?

Any dutch ppl reading this, Bax-shop is pure evil. fuck them. getting my money back, but still.. who does this kind of shit.

got a track open in demo mode I was wanting to save.. so sad. :cry:

record to cassette mah negro.

..but seriously false advertising? Heddegij nog een boos emailtje gestuurd, misschien een misverstand?

record to cassette mah negro.

..but seriously false advertising? Heddegij nog een boos emailtje gestuurd, misschien een misverstand?

nee gebeld, vet beidehande troela aan de lijn.

hier check staat onderin bij, maar slaat toch nergens op?!

http://www.bax-shop.nl/producten-uit-assortiment/b-stock-arturia-keylab-25-bitwig-pack

http://www.bax-shop.nl/producten-uit-assortiment/b-stock-arturia-keylab-25-bitwig-pack

Mmm, tenminste dubieus, 'bitwig pack' zou mij ook de illusie geven dat het programma meegeleverd wordt, maar in all fairness :) , het staat er wel met uitroepteken onderaan bij. Les om voortaan niet al te impulsief over te gaan op kopen, goed lezen wat er daadwerkelijk geboden wordt.

Mmm, tenminste dubieus, 'bitwig pack' zou mij ook de illusie geven dat het programma meegeleverd wordt, maar in all fairness :) , het staat er wel met uitroepteken onderaan bij. Les om voortaan niet al te impulsief over te gaan op kopen, goed lezen wat er daadwerkelijk geboden wordt.

eikels zijn het.

Guest fiznuthian

That totally sucks! Does seem to be a bit shady to not edit the name and remove "bitwig" pack.. some American sites were selling the whole thing for 300 USD I thought.

so I picked up a nanokontrol2 yesterday, mostly because I had seen this video a few weeks ago and it piqued my interest (and nanokontrol is a dirt cheap controller):

I already really loved the polysynth instrument but this just makes patch-building a total breeze, and since the macro controls are automatically mappable to every paramater (native and VST, across all available channels), it's really easy to get some interesting modulation going between the receivers and mod devices in my chains... bitwig really is just a lot of fun to use. now if only I could adjust the height of the arranger tracks!

I've only just starting using this skin for Ableton called 'Disco' that's supplied with a recent(ish) update, and is quite easy on the eyes.... but today it's just dawned on me - It's a nod/middle-finger to Bitwig isn't it ?!

Disco.jpg

I've only just starting using this skin for Ableton called 'Disco' that's supplied with a recent(ish) update, and is quite easy on the eyes.... but today it's just dawned on me - It's a nod/middle-finger to Bitwig isn't it ?!

Disco.jpg

y do u have it japanese tho?

Guest fiznuthian

so I picked up a nanokontrol2 yesterday, mostly because I had seen this video a few weeks ago and it piqued my interest (and nanokontrol is a dirt cheap controller):

I already really loved the polysynth instrument but this just makes patch-building a total breeze, and since the macro controls are automatically mappable to every paramater (native and VST, across all available channels), it's really easy to get some interesting modulation going between the receivers and mod devices in my chains... bitwig really is just a lot of fun to use. now if only I could adjust the height of the arranger tracks!

That's awesome. I wonder if that function is a script for the nanokontrol? I'll probably getting around to making my own custom script for my Axiom 49. I looked over some others and it doesn't seem too difficult. Just simple javascript is all.

They're unveiling the features in the next update at NAMM soon. Update's planned to release shortly after.

10931253_809185232453700_555615957495138

Guest fiznuthian

yeah, excited to see what's in 1.2 ... 1.1 kinda unexpectedly ruled. :cool:

I agree :biggrin:

It's been getting a lot of criticism for some missing features that other DAWs do.. I suppose that is fair, but it's easy to forget what version 1 of other DAWs were like years ago. If I remember correctly Live didn't even have MIDI sequencing at first.. We'll just have to wait and see what's ahead. It's cool that the developers are creating a running list of feature requests and actually acknowledging them.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people are still barking about the lack of bona-fide track grouping, for instance. It does seem like a pretty base-level thing to have access to -- especially for Ableton ship jumpers -- so I understand the complaints, but it's never been an issue for me (I do use grouping occasionally, but rarely find myself needing it)... and they tackled the big one for me (multi-out VST support) in 1.1 (quite well I might add), so I'm a happy camper already. And yeah, I agree -- some old timer DAWs are still lacking features that feel fundamental to me -- Live's clip editor used to drive me up the wall with how tedious/impossible it felt for combining samples or using it as a wave editor generally (though some of my issues were probably due to my own lack of skill), likewise the arrangement automation recording used to give me trouble to no end (curse you, "back to arrangement" button!), and Bitwig has been near flawless in that area as far as I've needed it.

overall I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the way BW is coming along. Feels very intuitive, creating interesting (cross-track) modulation is a breeze, the in-house instruments and effects are just the right amount of content ATM for a v1 release IMO, and the clip view is useful but not as central as it was in Live (and I'm an arrangement view kinda guy, so the compromise is perfect for me). On top of all that, Maschine (sometimes a central piece of gear in my tracks) works very well inside BW, whereas I was always running into issues between Maschine and Live and the workflow I was after. Even something as simple as being able to legitimately deactivate tracks (generally I do this after bouncing midi to audio in place) to save CPU is super nice. Works better than 'freeze track' in Live, anyway. Same goes for the sandboxing of all plugins, so when one crashes I don't lose everything I was doing. that's saved me a few headaches already.

glad you jumped on board too fiz. I think we made a decent choice. :)

Guest fiznuthian

Get out of here heathen henkester!

Grouping is coming in the next update I'm sure. CPU usage is great on my computer, can't speak for anyone else. The devs arent too fond of audio units but I bet they'll cave and add support sooner or later anyway. VST3 for sure because people wont stop requesting it..

Guest fiznuthian

It just occured to me that the Note MOD device is great for generating envelopes for any parameter you want.. I experimented with throwing them into the chain anywhere, even nesting Note MODs inside of eachother to add motion to VST parameters.. works like a charm. I never run out of envelopes now!
As long as it can be triggered by a midi note through it's sidechain or just any incoming notes through the chain itself it will trigger your envelopes. Fucking brilliant how easy this is to get maddeningly complex patches. haha

here just messign around.. that's the Ambience VST at the end

NU7ZowO.jpg

i like what you're doing there... i am likewise spending my afternoon goofing around with note mods, right now using a few different drum synth clips to send note info to a pad i built up, then using another mod device to play with the altered audio from the pad, and modulate individual drum synths within the drum container... nothing too fancy but i really like the connected movement you can create so easily using these mod devices. really easy to lose focus of building an entire track when patching is this much fun though, lol.

so i saw the 1.2 update announcement: group tracks seems to be the main feature they're adding, and it looks like i might actually like the way they're implemented... i've rarely used groups in the past, except when necessary to keep from confusing myself, but "meta clips" + that layered midi editing might turn out to be something i can really start to love... (they're also adding more content in the form of 500+ new device presets, and an "audition browser" which seems sorta neat, plus "more surprises" to be announced -- not quite the excitement i got from 1.1 but a good free update nonetheless

Guest fiznuthian

i like what you're doing there... i am likewise spending my afternoon goofing around with note mods, right now using a few different drum synth clips to send note info to a pad i built up, then using another mod device to play with the altered audio from the pad, and modulate individual drum synths within the drum container... nothing too fancy but i really like the connected movement you can create so easily using these mod devices. really easy to lose focus of building an entire track when patching is this much fun though, lol.

so i saw the 1.2 update announcement: group tracks seems to be the main feature they're adding, and it looks like i might actually like the way they're implemented... i've rarely used groups in the past, except when necessary to keep from confusing myself, but "meta clips" + that layered midi editing might turn out to be something i can really start to love... (they're also adding more content in the form of 500+ new device presets, and an "audition browser" which seems sorta neat, plus "more surprises" to be announced -- not quite the excitement i got from 1.1 but a good free update nonetheless

That's awesome :) Yes it's easy to just fuck around. I like that though, as I enjoy just making sounds a lot of the time. I am not very good at making actual songs to be honest.

The grouping is much needed anyway or people won't ever stop complaining about it. That meta clip bit and the multi-out functions of track groups sounds really neat. :) Everything else I probably won't use too much.

Is it just me or are they hiding something? I think they're keeping some of the exciting bits for when 1.2 is actually released or shown at NAMM. Still waiting on a video from the event damnit! I think they know better than to call a new update "mind blowing" when it's only adding grouping, presets, and a browser feature.

yeah I think they'll have something else to show when the update goes public. :) though this is only two months after the 1.1 upgrade, so maybe there isn't as much to it.. either way I welcome the free changes!

sorta off the subject but I came across this huge tutorial playlist yesterday, seemed worth passing on:

Archived