IGNORED

Bitwig

Guest RadarJammer

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will definitely try a demo. Javascript api is fucking amazing sounding. Can't wait to try that out. Great choice on that.

BTW - I found out the other day that's natively possible in Max4Live too:

Another video with the man -

I can't believe they completely evade the elephant that is Ableton

And as for his unique feature, probably not as unique as he suggests -

and/or

lfo_0.jpg

so the general consensus is that, in the 3-4 years that Bitwig has been beating Boards of Canada at their own game of hype bollocks, Ableton has caught up with their proposed feature set?

lol

• 1 month later...
Guest skibby

installed, opened, said "ummm" and then closed it. its so simple i couldnt figure out how to make a sound in it yet.

i like it better then ableton on a mac so far. definitely runs smoother with less bloat. the polysynth is rad, fx are cool. wish i could save without paying $400 :(

renoise totally has the right idea in terms of what they restrict with the demo

i like it better then ableton on a mac so far.

Does it support retina display? Hate how fucking ugly Ableton looks on my mac.

EDIT: I know that's not really a big deal, it just messes with my ocd.

Got the demo and within the first few minutes I thought/noticed a few things

1. How in the fuck is Failbleton not suing them for this. It looks and feels like a remixed Live. Drum racks, effect bar, clip launch grid - pretty much the same as live.

2. Having been a live user for years, I was able to work with this software like I already knew it. Can't tell if it's just really well designed, or just because I was a live user.

3. That polysynth is the tits, very fun to muck with and very well designed.

4. Better latency than Live 9 with my Focusrite rack, although I haven't tried recording with a large project looping or being arranged.

Overall, nothing particularly new, but it feels like what Live should have been when version 9.0.1 went out. Might pick this one up.

i like it better then ableton on a mac so far.

Does it support retina display? Hate how fucking ugly Ableton looks on my mac.

EDIT: I know that's not really a big deal, it just messes with my ocd.

not sure if my screen is retina or not i'm rockin an early 2011 MBP 15 inch and it looks way prettier then ableton.

Got the demo and there are already some really annoying things about the UI.

Why the hell is the standard app menu not on the top bar where EVERY OTHER APP MENU IS in EVERY OTHER APP EVER. Annoying, and very german. Was the system cursor graphic really so horrible that they needed to replace it? That's extra completely extraneous computation going to waste.

I don't know why but nearly every single piece of German software I have ever used is like this. It's like they have decided that the standard, known design pattern is somehow not good enough and then just invent some shit of their own. This is just so completely arrogant and really not nice for the end users. This is really the main reason I hate NI products so much. Simple stuff. Why the fuck does there need to be a built-in file browser when I have the OSX finder which I'm already familiar with? Why is there a need to invent some new fucking cryptic ass icon for a really common operation like saving or minimizing a window? Why make me learn new shit which isn't even new? Because you think you can do it better. And you can't.

Someone needs to start a UX design school there because they really suck at it.

However I'm sure if I put in all the time needed to learn it, it's good. I'm just annoyed that it's required to relearn things I already know how to do in 90% of other similar software.

looks like a nice blend between Renoise and Ableton, but Renoise is faster more keyboard oriented. I don't really like the way you enter notes though, double clicking. I don't understand why more DAWs won't implement the ALT-mouse note entering method as in Reason. It's super fast editing that way.

is it consensus that Ableton's arrange view is fucking horrible for anything beyond the more simple loop based music?

then why do people keep calling this a total ripoff of ableton... it appears to introduce a much more significant focus on the arrange while maintaining the fast loop aspects of ableton, no?

logic is almost always more fun to work with and finish entire tracks in but harder to get inspired

finishing tracks in ableton is a chore but starting them is so easy

is it consensus that Ableton's arrange view is fucking horrible for anything beyond the more simple loop based music?

finishing tracks in ableton is a chore but starting them is so easy

Really? Didn't know this was the view. I think it's a piece of piss to use the arrange view, even doing full on traditional band music. Plus I really like the way you can audition new parts and different automation and then quickly revert back to arrange.

Yeah, the arrangement view never caused me any troubles, I think it's great.

looks like a nice blend between Renoise and Ableton, but Renoise is faster more keyboard oriented. I don't really like the way you enter notes though, double clicking. I don't understand why more DAWs won't implement the ALT-mouse note entering method as in Reason. It's super fast editing that way.

THIS. This was exactly the first thing I tried doing. When it didn't work I was like NOOOOOOOO!

It's so fucking BASIC. There is no obvious kb shortcut to switch tools either. Having to click between the arrow to move items and the pencil to make them is a real deal breaker for me as it just shows that they have not really done much user testing or thought about simple ergonomics. There's bound to be more shitty things in there that I haven't found yet as this more than anything reveals a bit how they think about UI design.

Guest skibby

i still can't figure out how ableton works, even though i've watched tutorials and people have tried to explain it to me. the clip view and arrange view coexisting in the same project don't make sense, or if it did make sense, the concept doesnt stick. must be some 5th dimensional stuff.

Archived