IGNORED

Bitwig

Guest RadarJammer

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

This looks like it will be replacing ableton for me. The arrangement view in ableton really doesn't do much for me, this looks more fun and intuitive. Ableton is great, I prefer it to logic, but I still feel that logic was better for more complex arrangements. Everything in my sig was made in logic.

Anyone got something to say about this? Bigwig? I'll at least try it out. All I'm saying is that I've been using ableton for a few years and I still can't bring myself to do any complex and creative stuff in arrangement view. I really just do repetitive loop music, which is fine. I just miss the control over more varied approaches. I would like the best of both worlds, which is what this looks like.

I'm curious to try this, have a feeling it might be great! Hopefully there will be a trial version soon.

Also, it will be interesting to see how Ableton respond to this new competition. Additional features? Lower price? They are basically a market leader with an established user base and great integration to hardware controllers, Max, etc, but I guess this might pose a real threat to their position.

Guest extherium

I'm curious to try this, have a feeling it might be great! Hopefully there will be a trial version soon.

Also, it will be interesting to see how Ableton respond to this new competition. Additional features? Lower price? They are basically a market leader with an established user base and great integration to hardware controllers, Max, etc, but I guess this might pose a real threat to their position.

Pretty sure Ableton added in curved automation in Live 9 because Bitwig was doing it. Not that Ableton could have done it sooner... people have been bitching on the forums for years to have it implemented.

indeed that price is a bit too high for my taste too, but i'm still excited that this actually has a release date

there'll be a free demo with it when it comes out at the end of march so that'll help sway me one way or another...

I think this is already a failed challenge to Ableton, which is a shame as the niche is already pretty stagnant from lack of competition. They have basically just followed in exactly the same business pattern as Ableton. Extremely long release cycle, and prices which ice out a very large portion of their market.

Fuck the extra features. They will never beat Ableton on that basis alone which is basically all they are banking on right now. They need to beat them with price and speed in the release cycle. The people who will like those features are the ones who are already entrenched with Live, and need a much stronger incentive to move to a new platform.

They should have released a minimum viable product like 1.5 years ago and started getting input from the community on features. I'm sure what they will release now will be very fiddly perfect, and very unlikely to ever to changed in a major way. Numerology and Reaper both kill it in this area. Started small, no hype, and now have a core of super dedicated users.

The hype machine has done them no favors in this case.

I think this looks great still. I don't use a ton of stock live vst's other than the occasional filter eq or compressor. That's not what makes this interesting to me. The workflow is what gets me.

Think about it, having a live-esque clip looper on one monitor, and an arrangement view in the other. It's a small thing, but in the spontaneity department, it will make a huge difference with a person like me. I don't use a ton of midi generated things in the music I like to make besides occasionally resampling instruments/feild samples so I'm excited to see how this could effect my workflow. I arrange in live 9 mostly and I HATE having to either record clips in chunks to the arrangement or pull them from one part of the program to the other to arrange in 'song' mode. Not a huge deal, but this just looks more streamlined that Live for my needs

Still need to try it out, but looks berry promising :cerious:

I think this is going to change music, honestly, just like ableton and logic did. It he whole idea seems to be based around the arrangement. Idk, I just know that working in different systems has changed my music and that this looks like the best of everything together.

Maybe I'm being dense but I'm still not really seeing what this could offer me that would get me to move over from Live seeing as I already have Suite and therefore M4L. For the money and the time it would take to learn the new software for me it would have to be a really significant set of improvements. Fundamentally, I'm really happy with my workflow in Live both when ITB and when I'm using my external stuff.

All of that said, for the person who has neither and wants to move to that style of DAW I reckon this could be really good. And if, as others have mentioned, leads to more improvements for Live then I'll be over the moon - say, if they made the Live format versions of the M4L factory devices so they were quicker to instantiate.

Archived