IGNORED

Insomnia

essines

During my most stressful period about three-four years ago, I also had a serious sleep deprivation problem. I'd lay in bed at the end of the day and could not turn off my brain until 4am, and I had to get up at 7am. I plowed through it, and here's some tips:

- don't smoke pot - at least before you sleep (you might fall asleep easier if you do, but sleeping for 3-4 hours doesn't get you enough rest, and pot blocks out important sleep stages that make your brain fresh in the morning)

- exercise, exercise (sedentary computer-based jobs suck for your body - do some pull-ups, push-ups and squats in the morning, and do good cardio after you finish the office job)

- turn off electronic devices at least an hour before going to bed and read a book or write down your thoughts, lie down in bed at 10pm even if you're not tired

- if you live in a dense populated area or near heavy traffic areas, use ear plugs, it helps with deep sleep as I can wake up way too easily

- I drank warm tea before bed, no cold drinks (like water)

- don't eat before you sleep

• 7 months later...

Ugh. I went through 

On 12/8/2018 at 3:33 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

My insomnia started over a year ago when I had a particularly stressful full time job. I went for about a month without any real sleep and ended up going to the doctor, who prescribed some sleeping pills (I had already been practicing mindfulness meditation but it wasn’t helping). It took a little time, but eventually the pills started helping and I was able to sleep through the night again. I also ended up quitting my job.

When the prescription ran out, I switched to diphenhydramine (I had already been using melatonin for some time) and that worked great. Ever since, I’ve been talking a low dose every night before bed and I can sleep through the night fine.

A few times, I’ve skipped it and have been unable to sleep until taking it. Tonight was one of those nights. I went back to the gym today for the first time in many months and was hoping that would do the trick but no dice.

Now I’m worried that I can’t sleep without the diphenhydramine and I guess there’s some new research that says prolonged use is linked to dimentia. Ugh.

Anyway, not sure what to do. I just want to be off of sleep aids and back to normal.

?‍♂️

Update:

I ended up weaning myself off the diphenhydramine (it took a while... and a sleep class through my hospital that helped establish good sleep hygiene, etc) and got back to a fairly decent sleep routine for about a month. 

Now , I’m having this thing where I’m falling asleep ok but waking up around 3am every night. I’m sleeping with earplugs and fans, do it’s not a noise that is waking me. I’ve also lost over 30 pounds in the past year due to a change in my diet and I’m a side sleeper, so I’m not sure if it’s sleep apnea. 

Anyone else experience something like this? 

I’m fucking cursed, guys. 

@J3FF3R00 Remove 666 from sig pronto, remember Satan isn’t a function/location specific deity, he’s everywhere, even in dreams...

Seriously doe, exercise, cannabis, fucking the shit out of your partner or sweet tender loving & massages, music (drones work for me), meditation, yoga, regular bed times, all the sleep hygiene prerequisites cos the “medication” options (zopiclone is the worst) are laden w/dependence issues. Age will be a factor, cos the older we get the more our neural networks degrade. Heard of EMDR? It’s not a health panacea, but it could weed out residual psychological aspects that sometimes we’re not entirety conscious of. And cannabis.

On 7/12/2014 at 4:43 AM, peace 7 said:

Run like Forrest Gump. Then smoke up like Cheech & Chong. So basically, become Forrest Cheech Chong Gump. It also helps if you introduce yourself with that name, as well. "Hey cutie... So you're Cloey? I'm Chong Gump. ...Forrest Cheech Chong Gump." This will open up the opportunity to have tons of sex with random women named Cloey, which will again help! YO SO SET, MANG.

lol, yeah Gump it oop, running style n everything, but not across Merka. Need to nail yer sleep cycle first.

@cwmbrancity how old are you? (edit: on the inside :dadjoke:)

Insomnia can be hell. What has helped me is loop based music throughout the evening, like Basinski, Eno, or just making your own and letting them play until you fall asleep. Weed has had the opposite effect for me, makes me more wobbly in the morning and isn't worth creating a habit for for falling asleep, in my opinion. If you have an office job some amount of workout in the late afternoon or evening helped me a lot too. Also little things like changing up your room, trying different breathing techniques, different positions for sleeping, etc.
Outside noises can be an unnoticed factor too. Say there's a factory outside at night that you think you've gotten used to, but your ears really haven't. Dinner shouldn't be too heavy as well. That's just me though. 

@chronical - old enough to know that if I was a bag of weed, i’d already be looking to re- up *wink. Whatever works for youse. Hypocritically, I wouldn’t suggest cannabis to my Ma. Have tried but she’s a 3 glasses of rose a week workaholic. 

Cannabis doesn’t have to be habitual & w/indicas + vaping the dose can be borderline microbial:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6164964/

On 7/16/2019 at 6:05 AM, cwmbrancity said:

@J3FF3R00 Remove 666 from sig pronto, remember Satan isn’t a function/location specific deity, he’s everywhere, even in dreams...

Seriously doe, exercise, cannabis, fucking the shit out of your partner or sweet tender loving & massages, music (drones work for me), meditation, yoga, regular bed times, all the sleep hygiene prerequisites cos the “medication” options (zopiclone is the worst) are laden w/dependence issues. Age will be a factor, cos the older we get the more our neural networks degrade. Heard of EMDR? It’s not a health panacea, but it could weed out residual psychological aspects that sometimes we’re not entirety conscious of. And cannabis.

lol, yeah Gump it oop, running style n everything, but not across Merka. Need to nail yer sleep cycle first.

I smoked a little indica from my old stash last night and I didn’t sleep a wink. 

Ugh. 

Since I was up, I went to the Ymca and exercised for 35 minutes. Hopefully that will give some results tonight. I think the weed doesn’t work so well for me. I’ve tried it in the past (a few different indica strains) but I usually just end up restless and stoned. I’m curious to check out the EMDR option. 

google a local accredited practitioner, give their profiles a good reccy & if you have the time/inclination/health care coverage/finances try an intro session explaining your circumstances.

say a specific emotion is attached to “bedtime” or the bed itself or waking up after 3hrs, that will be the target, but there’s a broader scope called life mapping that can deduce possible underlying contributing factors.

if it can break the cycle or reset a few things, imho it’s absolutely worth trying it.

Archived