IGNORED

"Popping" drum noises?

sergeantk

I'm still fairly a beginner when it comes to drum synthesis and I notice very distinct drum sounds on the aforementioned artists (ochre and MoM), and I haven't the slightest clue how to create such sounds. I could always look for a drum pack but I feel thats cheating in a way and I would never learn anything.

So in a way, this is a thread about non-typical drum synthesis.

Couldja post specific song/time examples of the noises ye be lookin to partake in?

Oops, probably should have

great example of what i mean, check the sections starting at 2:00

Sounds throughout this song are also really examplary

Guest Adjective

maybe something like:

sine

low pass filter with resonance turned up

envelope on filter with soft attack and short decay

It sounds a lot like a really short attack on a resonant lowpass filter. It also sounds really drippy and analog. I'd bet you'd have trouble recreating it digitally.

It could alternatively just be a normal drum sound played through an auto-wah type pedal or plugin. The type that senses a transient and triggers off a wah type filter sweep thing. Actually nearly the whole song could have been played though such a thing hahaha.

Oops, probably should have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1OX319f9o

My favourite Ochre track ! I know for buzz a good ol' Kicksyn would do this but you could try this VSTi, it's really good for making those kind of glitchy chip like percussive sounds - http://www.tweakbench.com/minerva and yeah as suggested a low pass filter with resonance turned up will help things out !

maybe something like:

sine

if you filter a pure sine the only effect you'll be able to obtain is a level change of the sine when the cutoff of your filter approches the frequency of the sine (a sine is just one frequency)

Guest Adjective

maybe something like:

sine

if you filter a pure sine the only effect you'll be able to obtain is a level change of the sine when the cutoff of your filter approches the frequency of the sine (a sine is just one frequency)

i should have put a little more thought into my reply :emb:

those were the general settings i used to make a bubble-like sound with Synth1 vst. I must have had filter saturation turned up or something else adding harmonics.

thanks for the correction

yeah I was wondering if you meant that actually.

+ thank you to tell me Synth1 still exists, I didn't use it in a while and I now remember it's a very nice free vst ^^

maybe something like:

sine

i should have put a little more thought into my reply :emb:

those were the general settings i used to make a bubble-like sound with Synth1 vst. I must have had filter saturation turned up or something else adding harmonics.

thanks for the correction

Oddly enough, Synth1 was the first synth i tried this technique out on - perhaps explaining the results that were spot on

Archived