IGNORED

The pinnacle of american food?

jules

they will deep fry pretty much anything though. half a shitty cheapo pizza dipped in batter and deep fried. haggis, sausages, burgers, whole chickens, anything can be dipped in batter and deep fried. batter just makes things tasty!

This makes me so proud to be a displaced child of Alba

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do too.

using suet is pushing it by non-British standards of things which are fit for human consumption

I've never heard that before, it's just animal fat. it's used instead of butter in dumplings and puddings and stuff.

I love that the leading brand of suet is called Atora, an anagram of Aorta.

Tanning salons. there are a lot of tanning salons in glasgow.

Guest Intelligent dodgem music

Explain to me why the French daily fat intake per capita is higher than the USA and has been for some time, yet their rates of heart disease aren't comparable.

GOOD red wine, non-processed foods, relaxed attitude to life.

Let me show you some footage of an american on holiday in Europe

[youtubehd]bFLow5StvvU[/youtubehd]

I do too.

using suet is pushing it by non-British standards of things which are fit for human consumption

I've never heard that before, it's just animal fat. it's used instead of butter in dumplings and puddings and stuff.

I love that the leading brand of suet is called Atora, an anagram of Aorta.

There seems to be at least a slight cultural aversion to using suet, at least in the States, possibly because of its association with industrial uses and bird feed cakes. I'm guessing it's a pretty modern development. I have no actual data to back this up, of course.

Guest fiznuthian

Explain to me why the French daily fat intake per capita is higher than the USA and has been for some time, yet their rates of heart disease aren't comparable.

http://en.wikipedia..../French_paradox

I'll just leave this right here and stop talking before I piss off the big burger haters having fun in this thread. Sorry :emb: I know it's good fun to imagine monstrosity foods as deadly..

10,000 calories, dude. 10,000 calories.

This is true and a useful point. Caloric excess is still not a good thing.

It's tremendously hard to consume fat and protein together past a point. Hormones leptin and ghrelin will shut your appetite off quickly and the thought of food will begin to nauseate if you keep eating.

GOOD red wine, non-processed foods, relaxed attitude to life.

+ less snacking since meal times are lengthy, special, family occasions. or is that the italians? think it is.

anyway snacking is a big culprit for obesity. the woman i work with seems to eat constantly throughout the day! and yes she is rotund, and always moaning on about dieting.

I think red wine is healthy to a degree, yes. You could easily consider it a factor, though not a substantial one. The case for resveratrol just isn't very compelling yet. All of the studies linking red wine to lack of CVD and cancer have been observational, thus conclusions you can make from them are limited.

Non-processed foods though? Absofuckinglutely! The French really don't consume that much processed food.. This to me is far more interesting than red wine. Processed foods are almost always high-food reward foods. The hypothalamus does not respond well to high-food reward food. The French tend to stick with low-moderately palatable food such as meat, tubers, veggies, fruits. Body fat is regulated by hypothalamic hormones.

Processed foods are often simple sugars, starches, omega 6 fats, and next to nothing nutritional. This is a one way ticket to reducing gut flora to inflammatory species and ridding your gut of species necessary for digestion and a functional immune system. A lot of people are clamoring to probiotics for help with this, but those species are often temporary residents and can not replace the biofilms you (hopefully) gained at birth and lost eating absolute shit nutritionless food.

Snacking is a tough one. Depends on what you're snacking on.

Some foods satiate, some don't and will leave you hungrier. Your friend must understand this fact well by now. ;)

I personally don't snack often, I just fast into my next large meal which is infrequent and rarely ever the same time. This depletes my liver glycogen, gets ketosis rolling, turns my body fat into ketone bodies for my mitochondria to enjoy and preserves all of the muscle mass i've been collecting..

Lastly, ketosis significantly diminishes my appetite when I drop into it.. This would be useful for your friend but she will never experience ketosis snacking on carbohydrates throughout the day.

Is your friend dieting currently? And what is she doing?

Ronald Krauss is a big name in CVD research, a widely lipid scientist.

Are you calling him fat?

LOL. Nice catch! :biggrin:

god damnit the photo of that burger is making me hungry..

Is your friend dieting currently? And what is she doing?

my colleague is currently scoffing a packet of crisps and a breakfast bar thing at 10am. at 11am she will eat a big bowl of porridge with some fruit which is healthy. she says she has breakfast no.1 with her kids before she leaves for work... at 12 she'll have a sandwich, another bag of crisps and some chocolate. if we have coffee she'll munch 4 biscuits. she leaves at 2pm and probably rewards her hard days work with a large cake. seriously seems like she's constantly eating which kind of repulses me tbh cos i don't snack at all. so very european of me.

Guest fiznuthian

Ah, yeah.. the desire to snack is so hard for some people. it was for me, but opting for fat and protein dense foods has changed how my metabolism functions. now i practice intermittent fasting, which is essentially what you're doing too by waiting until large meals. IMO fasting periodically is a very, very good thing. Is your colleague a person who counts calories?

relevant to this thread maybe.. paleo diet is getting popular!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFlKPUYplM

those clips, it's a meat eating frenzy.. :wub:

Ah, yeah.. the desire to snack is so hard for some people. it was for me, but opting for fat and protein dense foods has changed how my metabolism functions. now i practice intermittent fasting, which is essentially what you're doing too by waiting until large meals. IMO fasting periodically is a very, very good thing. Is your colleague a person who counts calories?

relevant to this thread maybe.. paleo diet is getting popular!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFlKPUYplM

those clips, it's a meat eating frenzy.. :wub:

I've done ketogenic dieting before aka 15-20g carb a day, tons of protein like steaks and fish and chicken, and healthy fats (lots, like over 100g/day.... apparently it signals your body to burn fat instead of carbohydrates for fuel?), and got amazing results. I dropped 10lbs and 5% body fat and put on a bunch of muscle.

It was just too hard because I like pizza and burgers and bagels and carbohydrates in general F1@$!%.

Not sure if the paleo is similar.

Guest fiznuthian

Oh yes, it's extremely similar.. Just an emphasis on fatty acid ratios, nutrient density (loads of veggies, fruits), avoiding foods that reduce gut complexity and contain plant toxins, and paleo is neither low carb or high carb exclusive.. People tend to have good experiences doing one or the other, whichever feels better. Ketosis is awesome IMO, and I prefer a mostly ketogenic paleo diet and that's what I do right now.. It's been fantastic so far. I don't stay in ketosis permanently though, and will occasionally carb up before exercise or gorge on fruits, only to fast back into ketosis fueld by massive fatty protein dense meals. I eat 660 mg omega 3 eggs frequently, probably a couple dozen per week. This is my brain food, iodine + fatty acids.. I also eat fish frequently. So delicious! It's like a treat.

Lately i've been drinking and eating LOTS of fermented foods.. i'm addicted to kombucha and reintroduced cheese again.. i find cheese doesn't bother me at all (thanks bacteria) and is good for getting quick delicious calories for muscle. Just bought some bubbies traditionally fermented pickles and a kombucha culture to take care of. Almost reminds me of Tamagachi. :biggrin:

I feel you on the pizza man. It's something I love too, but at this point my quality of life has improved so significantly I have absolutely zero desire any other food than what I eat. There's still a lot of variety in sticking to meat, veggie, fruits, and animal fats when cooking and I sweeten things with fruits, so I really don't feel like i'm missing anything.

Ketosis is very interesting.. Time will tell if it's safe or not. So far studies are promising, and it's a viable treatment for some epileptics which is cool. I think 'ancestral diet' is an apt name for this diet model (which can vary a lot.. not everyone's doing it the same at all) instead of paleo diet. It's not exactly how our ancestors ate though.. They certainly weren't pan frying filet mignon in grass-fed cow butter and stir frying veggies with cheese on whatever. It's a diet analogue, if done thoughtfully supplies more than enough nutrients than our ancestors probably had access too. It's still important not to purposely overeat, but a healthy metabolism and happy hypothalamus takes care of that problem surprisingly well.

I will eat this way for the rest of my life believe me.. My mother still thinks i'm fucking NUTS. :diablo:

Guest fiznuthian

Good question. I highly doubt our ancestors, though ketogenesis is a normal and healthy biochemical function of the human body, would have spent their entire lives in ketosis. The Inuit population did spend most of their lives in ketosis and were generally very healthy, but Inuits have since been exposed to Western culture and have migrated. Data is showing increases in degenerative disease rates.

Personally I feel ketogenic diets aren't a problem for most people. A hunter-gatherer would have not have had access to food and would have eaten whatever was available, alternating between fed and fasted states (incuding ketogenesis and eventually ketosis) and sometimes perhaps rarely entering ketosis. This is likely in tropical climates where fruit was abundant.

A deep ketosis i.e. eating zero carbohydrates and lots of fat is cool too. While some people cling to the idea that you need glucose for energy, but by way of beta-oxidation pathways free fatty acids can be used used instead. The brain needs some glucose, but protein gets converted to glucose in the absence of carbohydrates by the gluconeogenesis pathway and the brain will carry on happily. Consuming medium-chain fatty acids like those found in coconut will supply fatty acids directly through the blood brain barrier and ketones supply the brain energy. Most brain cells can utilize ketone bodies for energy no problem, but it the switch from carbohydrate metabolism to fat metabolism takes a little time.

I don't stay in ketosis regularly, and make a point to refill my liver glycogen every so often usually with tubers and fruits.

Like stumbling upon a fruit tree in the wild.. i'd eat the living fuck out of it, you know? Food wasn't always so easy..

Archived