IGNORED

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Revitute

Mmmm I keep meaning to dig this out and replay it.

Not the biggest TH fan but I agree this is a worthy album. I believe Lord Eno of England produced it.

one of my favourite favourite favourite albums.

the reason it sounds so urgent is because eno decided to speed up the entire album 15% in production. great example of the small decisions eno makes that have a big impact. apparently he only got on with byrne though, tina and chris fucking hated him.

i highly recommend the 'live in rome' bootleg video from the tour. adrian belew is an animal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVIKF03KkVM

he treats feedback here like a sculptor.

also, tina weymouth, hubba fucking hubba.

i'm a tumbler. i'm a government man.

one of my favourite favourite favourite albums.

the reason it sounds so urgent is because eno decided to speed up the entire album 15% in production. great example of the small decisions eno makes that have a big impact. apparently he only got on with byrne though, tina and chris fucking hated him.

i highly recommend the 'live in rome' bootleg video from the tour. adrian belew is an animal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVIKF03KkVM

he treats feedback here like a sculptor.

also, tina weymouth, hubba fucking hubba.

i'm a tumbler. i'm a government man.

I saw the concert, it's amazing...My favorite songs from the album are The Great Curve, Listening Wind and Born Under The Punches,

fuck me, they were really on form around then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaMzKpNC2Jk

are you aware of the story behind the great curve? they basically tried to do a song in the style of joy division without ever hearing a minute of their music, just reading reviews of their stuff.

are you aware of the story behind the great curve? they basically tried to do a song in the style of joy division without ever hearing a minute of their music, just reading reviews of their stuff.

Yep, they were!

It wasn't The Great Curve, it was The Overload

It wasn't The Great Curve, it was The Overload

you are correct.

I've slowly gotten into Talking Heads over the past decade (having only heard the singles as a teenager). I agree that Remain in Light is their best. I also admit I haven't listened to anything after Speaking in Tongues.

decreasing rewards after speaking in tongues imo. with the exception of stop making sense.

david byrne's 'the forest' is also absolutely incredible though

In my top 5 for sure.

I like to think of remain in light and life in the bush of ghosts as a double album ala subliminal sandwich. One side is funky crazy party dance tunes, other is an artsy more experimental furthering of that idea. Fucking transcendant solo on the great curve by belew

Guest ansgaria

It's fairly good.

It's actually really good.

Fucking hell, I love that record. I really, really do. So well produced, such an odd record. Fuck. I haven't listened to it for months.

Bye, lads.

I like to think of remain in light and life in the bush of ghosts as a double album ala subliminal sandwich.

me too. recorded at the same time. both in my top 10 albums, maybe.

they're like two sides of a coin.

also i gotta post these lyrics from the first byrne album. they're absolutely fucking amazing

We're living in a dump

Trying to figure out what sex we are

Exchanging chromosomes

Trying to bargain for a better future

Well I'll trade you my potential mental illness

For your bad teeth

How 'bout trading your sexy body for a full head of hair

Well we can't predict the future

But we're trying to do the best that we can

My cards are on the table

I'm gambling everything that I am

And some of us are hoping

To end up with a perfect life

I'll trade you everything that I got

For the chance to be someone else

But what you see is what you get

And what you give is what you choose

And what I am

What you see

Is exactly what I chose to be

I like to think of remain in light and life in the bush of ghosts as a double album ala subliminal sandwich.

me too. recorded at the same time. both in my top 10 albums, maybe.

they're like two sides of a coin.

Little known fact: Eno and Belew were actually engaged in a competition to see who could look weirder going bald. Belew won, and Eno was forced to shave his head completely.

source: Martin Luther King, Jr., Discreet Muzak: Eno is Eno, Simon & Schuster, 1997

however the kicker was that belew had to promise to get really good at making animal sounds on the guitar as part of the wager.

reveal: brian eno is the devil.

directed by m night shamalamadingdong

Belew has the perfect life imo. He's played on most of my favourite albums, evidently has a hilariously good time onstage making the most amazing guitar noise, and has a drop dead gorgeous wife. If I could achieve even 5% of what he's done in his career I'd be happy as fuck.

Archived