IGNORED

Peel Session Vol.2

Guest Audiophile

Guest Audiophile

ive been neglecting this good old set recently. all tracks are pure gold especially gelk and 19 headaches. kind of like a ep7 and lp5 mashed. i personally enjoy it more than peel vol.1 right mnya :braindance:

Gelk and Gaekwad are great tracks, not wild about the other two.

I'm pretty sure that Peel himself named these, Gaekwad is named after a famous football (soccer) player or something. 19 Headaches is pretty self explanatory, this one always reminds me of a Wendy Carlos track.

Guest Barrichello

like Gelk, not too keen on the others. Still have it on the shelf mind you.

Much prefer my dearly beloved Drane from sesh one.

• 1 year later...

Can we talk about this some more now plaz?? Been listening to this a bit lately. Gelk is straight up gansta all up the joint. Blifil is beautiful. Reminds me of sort of a Pen Expers mixed with Lentic but from the EP7 era. I love this one. Gaekwad I first heard from the Vancouver set. This is the song that probably got me most into Autechre. I had my guitar out at the time, wasn't really playing but put on the vancouver set. I realized that that version of Tilapia was wayyy tight. I started jammin along in e flat symmetrical. Than Gaekwad came on, jammed with that, and I was like, ok I need everything this band ever recorded. 19 headaches is my least favorite track of this release, but still worth a good listen. What a quality release. Better than the first in my opinion.

Oh yea, anyone know why Gaekwad is sometimes called Sqr Map???

Guest ezkerraldean

was it this one where the listeners named the tracks as they played since AE didnt name them?

and john peel suggested 19 headaches because thats what he said the track gave him?

i remember someone telling me something like that.............

Am I the only one to prefer Blifil?

No, it's the track on the EP that first stood out for me, although I do like the latter half of Gelk (my favourite Ae title, whoever actually chose it). Not sure which session EP I actually prefer though, possibly the first.

Guest earlgrey

hooray for AE's peel sessions! they're both excellent. As a late-comer to AE, I think of their release in terms of when they were recorded (1995/1999) rather than when they were released. Maybe those who acquired the first Peel Session when it was finally made commercially available the same year as EP7 had a unique reaction to it - especially those who pined for the Tri Rep days at the time.

Gelk and Blifil are my faves from PS2, but the last two are solid as well. (took a very long time to get my head around 19 Headaches, but this is Autechre we're talking about - there's always method to the madness)

anyone else notice how on the Peel Session 2 CD it says "29min/269MB" (i.e. the length/data size of the recording) but on the first Peel Session it says "74min/650MB" (i.e. the maximum capacity of the CD)?

• 1 month later...
Am I the only one to prefer Blifil?

blifil is not my fave track on the release... but it's the one that gets me up and moving about and head nodding!

AE are better at hip hop than any hip hop producer evar. Gelk is so hippity hoppity is sprained an ankle!!!!

y0!!!

i showed the bass heavy tracks (the end of augmatic disport, cecc, cfern, gelk, etc.) to some of my hip hop friends in cali... i asked them to find any hip hop producer who can top that... they ended up liking ae!

one of them noticed the audio 2 sample in milk dx!

Yea, if you notice, Gelk, Ccec, and Slow Acid have very similar underlying drum lines. Actually, parts of All Tomorrow's Linoleum has it to. I love it and rip it off all the time :embrassed:

• 1 month later...

Archived