IGNORED

UR - Final Frontier

chassis

I went to Submerge while in Detroit this last Sat. and it was fucking bizarre. It's a nondescript brown brick building kinda like it could be an apartment building w/ one metal door in the front that says "No appointment, no entry. Call before." And of course there's no fucking phone number on the website. I buzzed the doorbell and the intercom twice before some dude actually came to the door. I was like "Is there supposed to be a record store here?" and he says "Yeah, what's your name? Where are you from?" I answer and then he says "Hold on a second." and goes to confer w/ someone. Comes back out and says, yeah the store's not open today...a Saturday.

WTF! I'm well aware of the UR image, but this shit is for real? Like it's a rundown secret hideout where silly old men can live out their superhero/apocalyptic shelter fantasies. I mean there is a record store in there and a mini Detroit Techno museum... what's w/ the militant off putting 'secret password at the door' style bullshit? Like I'm all the way from California for fuck sake. I'll never bother again to be interested in what might be the rich history of Detroit Techno, but no one may ever know because YOU DON'T OPEN YOUR FUCKING PLACE UP TO ANYONE. I know it's the ghetto and all, but I'll let's be honest, one look at me and you'd know I could never rob anybody.

Seriously you've got to be part of the inner circle or something to shop there. So anyway, Detroit visitors, go to Detroit Threads (vintage clothing and record store) if you actually want to buy records.

I went to Submerge while in Detroit this last Sat. and it was fucking bizarre. It's a nondescript brown brick building kinda like it could be an apartment building w/ one metal door in the front that says "No appointment, no entry. Call before." And of course there's no fucking phone number on the website. I buzzed the doorbell and the intercom twice before some dude actually came to the door. I was like "Is there supposed to be a record store here?" and he says "Yeah, what's your name? Where are you from?" I answer and then he says "Hold on a second." and goes to confer w/ someone. Comes back out and says, yeah the store's not open today...a Saturday.

WTF! I'm well aware of the UR image, but this shit is for real? Like it's a rundown secret hideout where silly old men can live out their superhero/apocalyptic shelter fantasies. I mean there is a record store in there and a mini Detroit Techno museum... what's w/ the militant off putting 'secret password at the door' style bullshit? Like I'm all the way from California for fuck sake. I'll never bother again to be interested in what might be the rich history of Detroit Techno, but no one may ever know because YOU DON'T OPEN YOUR FUCKING PLACE UP TO ANYONE. I know it's the ghetto and all, but I'll let's be honest, one look at me and you'd know I could never rob anybody.

Seriously you've got to be part of the inner circle or something to shop there. So anyway, Detroit visitors, go to Detroit Threads (vintage clothing and record store) if you actually want to buy records.

Next time bring a friend with a camera and tell them you're a journalist making a docu on detroit techno, or something. Next thing you know is you might be drinking coffee with Juan and Derrick.

Next time bring a friend with a camera and tell them you're a journalist making a docu on detroit techno, or something. Next thing you know is you might be drinking coffee with Juan and Derrick.

Better yet, make such a doc, and end up befriending these legends.

Worst part is, we've got a whole docu crew here, but we've got no time to go do that, nor is anyone but myself interested, and as an added bonus the cinematographer is a complete twat.

Archived