IGNORED

Deftones - Koi No Yokan

jules

This album is pretty amazing. Deftones have definitely had something awakened in them the past couple albums. Been playing the shit out of this in my car lately.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hard to say, since i've been listening to them contemporaneously from the start.

i suppose that 'white pony' might be the best place to start. the albums before that ('adrenaline' and 'around the fur') still seem to be

born in situ with the whole nu-metal feel musically, without a lot of gross rapping and such. good albums nonetheless, but from white pony on, they really seemed to exercise more of their individuality and separate themselves somewhat from that 90's alternative trappings you mention.

personally, i would check out 'white pony' and then venture onto the latest two LPs, see how you feel, and then perhaps see how those albums come about in context of their earliest work. diamond eyes and koi no yokan have easily been some of my favorite cds of the past few years, irrespective of anything they had done before 2010.

hard to say, since i've been listening to them contemporaneously from the start.

i suppose that 'white pony' might be the best place to start. the albums before that ('adrenaline' and 'around the fur') still seem to be

born in situ with the whole nu-metal feel musically, without a lot of gross rapping and such. good albums nonetheless, but from white pony on, they really seemed to exercise more of their individuality and separate themselves somewhat from that 90's alternative trappings you mention.

personally, i would check out 'white pony' and then venture onto the latest two LPs, see how you feel, and then perhaps see how those albums come about in context of their earliest work. diamond eyes and koi no yokan have easily been some of my favorite cds of the past few years, irrespective of anything they had done before 2010.

Thanks! I will do exactly this!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)

Lotion

My Own Summer (Shove It)

Lhabia

Minerva

Diamond Eyes

Rocket Skates

CMND/CTRL

Feiticeira

Passenger

Tempest

Poltergeist

Entombed

Swerve City

Change (In the House of Flies)

Engine No. 9

7 Words

Encore:

Nosebleed

Root

Just got this; it's fucking awesome. I never really gave Deftones a chance—I probably listened to White Pony once and then got sidetracked. Definitely gonna check out their other stuff now.

good to hear!

maybe work backwards from koi no yokan. imo, around the fur is their best, followed closely by white pony but the last 2 have been killer as well (koi no yokan & diamond eyes)

• 6 months later...

Archived