IGNORED

Deftones - Koi No Yokan

jules

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know these guys have traditionally had some kickass album closers but this one absolutely slays. i'm not exactly pleased i couldn't wait until my physical copy arrives, but this is some serious next level shit for this band. yes it does still sound like other deftones records (duh) but jesus...

I feel like it petered out a bit in the second half. Maybe it's because I didn't have OMG moments like in Romantic Dreams and Poltergeist and it just turned into standard Deftones. Which is good, but I'll just need to let the rest sink in.

So have given this a good number of listens, I think the overall verdict is mixed.

There are some great songs in the first half, kind of get's a bit meh in the second, love the last track. I think that it might suffer the same fate as the last few albums for me, in that after the initial "wow this is good" period it starts to sound a bit formulaic and eventually get's shelved rarely listened to again.

I really miss the darkness of white pony and S/T and have grown a bit tired of the soaring/anthemic style of songs of their recent efforts. I have to say though that Chinos vocals sound superb on this album, and the overall production is stunning.

.......in that after the initial "wow this is good" period it starts to sound a bit formulaic and eventually get's shelved rarely listened to again.

this trait happens to me a lot, so many times it has happened to me that liking an album massively on first listen then quickly loses sparkle. Hopefully this won't happen on this occassion.

i wish people would stop wishing for another white pony. that record is 12 fucking years old. there are traits of it in every record they have made so far since that.

i am finding this album a bigger leap forward than anything since that. it is very focused and actual cohesive, a lot of albums since then felt pieced together while this feels very thought out. the heavy shit is heavy as fuck with the downtuned meshuggah riffs. some of the riffs, especially parts of leathers and poltergeist could be on meshuggah's nothing. the production and vocals are flawless and they sound very confident.

I never really understood why White Pony is the OMG album from Deftones. I always liked Around the Fur best, and 2003's self-titled follow up to White Pony was better than most people think it is (and better than Saturday Night Wrist and Diamond Eyes, IMO). I think its only fault was that it followed White Pony and people wanted more White Pony. So I agree, get over it. I'm hoping with more listens I'll see Koi No Yokan as the leap forward you say it is. I already agree in regards to the two songs I pointed out before.

(I haven't yet gone back for a second listen but will likely today)

I always liked Around the Fur best, and 2003's self-titled follow up to White Pony was better than most people think it is (and better than Saturday Night Wrist and Diamond Eyes, IMO). I think its only fault was that it followed White Pony and people wanted more White Pony.

i've revisited the s/t album these past two weeks and find it much better than i used to, but i believe there are palpable elements in the production quality that diminish it a bit. it just sounds murkier & muddier in a detracting way i suppose. that and chino is way way more on his game now. put his new confidence over those old tracks, and i'd probably be enthralled with it.

Only got this ther other day and only had 1 full listen, but impressed so far, the production sounds meaty and chinos vocals sound on point (shit i sound like a judge from the xfactor there!) and the riffs are chugging brillant, as some 1 else said you can tell that Stephen worships at the church of Meshuggah, but cant knock him for that!

Think it will take a few listens to decide just how much I like it but defiantly not dissapointed!

Archived