IGNORED

How do AE make those sounds? : the Thread

vamos scorcho

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my take.

I think they use a ton of granular techniques (e.g. take a sample, loop a very small portion of it, play it at various speeds, filter it, modulate it in various ways, etc).

Honestly, I think that accounts for a good portion of the insanity.

For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1RrVa_axRY

And obviously they do plenty of familiar techniques as well.

Gantz Graf just sounds like a digital delay with automated delay time. I achieved a remarkably similar effect in this track of mine:

http://pselodux.band.../track/fourside

Pretty similar to granular stuff I guess. But considering how damn easy it was to pull off with just a simple delay effect..

Gantz Graf just sounds like a digital delay with automated delay time. I achieved a remarkably similar effect in this track of mine:

http://pselodux.band.../track/fourside

Pretty similar to granular stuff I guess. But considering how damn easy it was to pull off with just a simple delay effect..

Great track and nice insight... think I'li investigate it myself. Was trying to figure out why it was so familiar and then I realised you released it as Modex too...

Yes they are very similar. Depending on the delay algorithm (i.e. whether it interpolates the circular buffer or just changes its end/rotation point) and how high the feedback is set, I think they can actually be identical. There's aspects of this that make me think it could be either, but I would be really surprised if it wasn't at least one or the other (maybe both).

• 3 months later...
Does anyone actually believe in the cargo cult idea that owning the same gear Autechre uses makes you magically sound like them? Or that if you were actually trying to imitate them, and not just enrich your understanding of both Autechre and your gear (and audio techniques in general), that you should start by acquiring the same stuff they use?

sometimes i have the opposite problem where i sound like them without meaning to on gear they probably wouldn't use.

it gets in the way.

sometimes i have the opposite problem where i sound like them without meaning to on gear they probably wouldn't use.

I know how you feel. I've been accused of being their padawan (just a few tracks)...I love them the most but want to have my own path.

FM Bass = Ae

Granular = Ae

10 minutes before the new year and you're contemplating Ae workflows

I D M

I've sorta traded most of my social life for my studies. I don't drink so I'm useless on NYE and such occasions.

One of my favorite Ae tracks (as much for nostalgia as anything) is "Montreal."

The bass is FM.

The drums are flanged (and hella bit-reduced)

Alot of the character comes from the 12bit-ness of early sampler keyboard workstations.

Archived