IGNORED

Lee 'Scratch' Perry interview

usagi

Village Voice recently did an interview with Scratch.

Are you excited to return to New York?

I was such in the studio doin some dub killing. Killing. Everything alright with the soundsystem just killing!

What are you working on right now?

I was coming back from the studio, killing. I was just killing. Killing some songs with murder.

Are these solo tracks or collaborations with someone else?

Yeah one lady from Japan. Japan getting into Jamaica's sound right now. Japan getting hypnotized by Jamaican magic!

Are you excited to come back to America?

I think Jamaica comes back with the magic stick and the wand. A miracle wand. A fuba scuba from Negril.

And what are you gonna do with the miracle wand?

Make all countries bow to Jamaica! There are so many Jamaicas but only one Jah. One Jah.

What do you think of dubstep?

You've got to have some talent to live and only clean talent will survive. Unclean talent will end up in hell, eating politician's shit. Dead meat shit, beef shit, cow foot shit, goat head shit, buffalo neck shit. Greed have them killed, grudge have them hang.

What is it that you like about working with Subatomic Sound System?

Subatomic, Subatomic...because the melody and the thing isn't normal and stupid. Him a doctor and him make it cosmologic.

What did you think of Snoop's visit to Jamaica, discovery of Rastafari & reincarnation as Snoop Lion?

The Americans don't have any music anymore. If one was a dog and it comes to Jamaica and turns into a lion now, that means him discover that his treasure is in Jamaica and he was a Snoopy Dog and eventually he stay here in Jamaica and him say that he wants to be a Snoop Lion now. So a lot of Americans think what happened is you better buy out the country before it being sold out. Jamaica could be the richest country in the universe; everywhere. RASTAFARI.

Do you think there's a lot of misconceptions about Rastafarianism?

Rastafari is me, y'know, and me have no locks. The big surprise, Lee 'Scratch' Perry is Rastafari but me have no locks. BIG SURPRISE!

I hear you're a big fan of superheroes. Were you able to see any of the big movies this summer?

Me bigger than superhero. They stupid, that's why them die. Me coming to save paradise with my gamma ray and cosmic energy. Me don't make error, me don't make horror. Bang, bang, bang muthafucka! I told you I will get even. Straight from Nigeria but not in cereal.

You're making music with someone from Nigeria?

Nigerians make perfect magic!!

I heard you stopped smoking marijuana to see if the your music was coming from 'you or the drugs' and you discovered it was you. Do you still abstain?

I stop put the devil in. But I put it away and they legalize it because the government is the number one victim now. Them have ganja and they had say its bad; its economic now. Now it's more expensive.

How do you feel about sharing the bill with Scientist?

Him never mad enough to be a scientist. It is a terrible disappointment for a good scientist to be conquered. If a good scientist is conquered him go to hell. This is not an interview I'm making.

This isn't an interview?

It's an innerview of my outerview and do as humans do. You tell me something Rastafari...

Me?

I'm not the only Rastafari with no locks. Tell the people of New York I'm coming back!

OK.

Apparently it ended there. God, I wish there was video of this.

lee-scratch-perry-300x236.jpg

What do you think of dubstep?

You've got to have some talent to live and only clean talent will survive. Unclean talent will end up in hell, eating politician's shit. Dead meat shit, beef shit, cow foot shit, goat head shit, buffalo neck shit. Greed have them killed, grudge have them hang.

brilliant, thx u plees lee

Guest cult fiction
Me bigger than superhero. They stupid, that's why them die. Me coming to save paradise with my gamma ray and cosmic energy. Me don't make error, me don't make horror. Bang, bang, bang muthafucka! I told you I will get even. Straight from Nigeria but not in cereal.

I hope I'm saying stuff this awesome when I'm over 70...

You can`t wrong with a Lee Perry interview, always good value. Their was a classic one in The Wire in about 95 where he was smoking a block of hash the size of a small pocket encyclopedia. Great stuff.

Guest nowyouknow

this man is crazy, i've seen him after a show alone, lookin in the mirror and tryin to make a banana haircut (with real bananas i mean)

Archived