IGNORED

Bola these days

Terpentintollwut

Bola announced his new album "Ambrosia" in late 2008 and already posted the cover artwork that was to be featured.

n37634643464_1798265_5240.jpg

I wonder what ever happened to it. Is it still in the works? The announcement got me pretty excited as he is surely within my top 5 of favorite musicians, he's the man, so to speak.

He also regularly posts great, unheard material (mostly different versions of known tracks or ultra-rare stuff) on his facebook- and soundcloud-page, but there hasn't been a single word mentioning Ambrosia ever again after the initial announcement. Anybody have some info...?

When and where have you heard that? I did some googling but all I found posted containing Bola+Ambrosia in the past year was cooking recipes. But then again, I wouldn't be THAT surprised if the new album contained some kind of cooking recipe.

i remember hearing this past year. i've been racing around the internets reading and talk with so many people irl that i can't recall who exactly said. i think it was internet chatter from one place or another, i can't recall. anyhow, he's well due

I've been patiently waiting for this for a while now...

In the meantime, be sure to check out a couple of Bola tracks that have come out since Kroungrine.

Ektoise Lmenitemix (Bola remix). Ektoise is an Australian band featuring WATMMs Greg Reason.

Bola - Szeaafar (live). From compilation Emerging Organisms Hidden Forms 4 on Tympanik Audio

I think Skam tweeted or said something basically about Bola having gone into the studio and to 'lock the doors'...

this was in the last year if I remember rightly.

Wow, that's solid! :emotawesomepm9:

So he's still working on new stuff, knowing that is pretty much all it takes to make me happy. Whether it will be Amrosia is another question ... I imagine it's been so long, the concept might have changed over time. Perhaps the name is no longer fitting. Anyway, I always liked the cover art.

I personally hope he won't continue in the direction he took in with Kroungrine. I still like the album quite a bit, just not as much as the rest of them. I can't describe in musical terms what it is exactly that bothers me about Kroungrine, but it has a certain feel that I don't enjoy as much. The overall sound is kind of, dunno, colder, in a way. Waknuts is pretty amazing though.

Yeah I totally agree, good way to put it. Fyuti is probably the best example for this (Vertiphon/Pae Paoe/Veronex Cypher especially). Yet Kroungrine leans more to the colder side (except Waknuts, that's very warm). The Jello-Album is somewhat similar for me. I guess this is due to the production, like sharper sounding, more defined beats. Again, I don't know much about musical production, my cousin said he'd recognize Reason's Malström Synthesizer on a lot of tracks on Kroungrine. No idea whether this is how it was made or not, but that could perhaps explain why I'm not THAT fond of that particular album.... Well, I'm still playing it right now.

this and G1 are the only new bits from Darrell that have been keeping my faith alive for the last 5 years.

How about these?

Bola - Waknuts I

http://soundcloud.com/bolamachine/waknuts-i

Aqualung - Strange and Beautiful - Bola remix - Cassan Vae

http://soundcloud.com/bolamachine/aqualung-strange-and-beautiful

Bola - Glink Unreleased Mix

http://soundcloud.com/bolamachine/glink-unreleased-mix

Bola - Slo-Vertiphon

http://soundcloud.com/bolamachine/slo-vertiphon

They're not new tunes but different versions. Waknuts I is an instrumental version, the others are pretty different. Just in case you didn't know them already.

Also make sure to check his Facebook , he's posting stuff there from time to time. But no word about a new album of course. :wink:

That's nice, but could be anything, no? Although most SKAM releases are a reason to celebrate so yay!

yeah it definitely could be anything. I think there's new stuff in the pipeline from all of the artists who recently released on Skam (VHS Head, Team Doyobi).

but i guess it doesn't rule out Bola, especially with the tweet Sirch mentioned about

I heard through the grapevine that Bola is working on stuff, but no longer Ambrosia. Hopefully, we'll see a release from him soon, but it didn't sound to me like there is anything imminent. I hope he proves me wrong... he has consistently released amazing music, and I've collected just about everything available.

New VHS Head or Team Doyobi wouldn't exactly be bad news though :)

Guest RandySicko

Back in July, I messaged him on soundcloud asking if there were plans for a new album soon. He said "the best answer I can give is .......Undecided......."

The strange thing is that this was after SKAM's twitter post about him being in the studio

Mhhh .... nice of him to respond to the question. But strange indeed. I hope he'll make the right call (and from my perspective, that is YES)

I'm having a thought, I don't think he'd be cryptic like this, but his reply COULD mean he doesn't know whether he has enough material so his release will be an actual album or whether he'll put it on an EP. But he hasn't really released any EPs lately and that's way too much speculation anyway, I'm not gonna go all black square on this ... oh well, too late.

Guest RandySicko

Was definitely not expecting any response from him at all, let alone one so mysterious. Good point about possibly not having enough material for an LP - an EP would be just as welcomed!! ...though hopefully with more than 2 songs and no rapping lol.

Would also love to hear some new Bola inspired Gescom .....even though It doesn't sound like he's been involved since stuff like G1 and Sciew Spoc

• 4 weeks later...

Archived