IGNORED

Waves plugins

ryancolecreate

howdy chaps. I saw the waves power pack bundle for sale on plugin boutique, and starting looking into it. Generally Waves is really irritating with their copy protection, but I always hear how amarzong the plugins are supposed to be. Trying them now.

Waves definitely falls into the stupid as fuck product licensing model category, but the bundle seems reasonably priced (€116) for like 7 plugins, which cover most of the basic needs, and even have a couple of convolution reverbs, which is what drew me to it initially. The IR reverb sound alright, but space designer still kicks it's ass. Too bad that's locked inside of a dumb apple product.

I looked at getting that alone, and the plugin outside the bundle is like €500! haha what the fuck.

Anyways, are the waves plugins generally worth all the stupid license hoops they make you jump through to use them?

tally ho.

Never found anything special about their plugins. I think they're many great/better alternatives.

What kind of plugins are you looking for ?

I really want a great reverb atm. I also need a good versitle delay, and a compressor/limiter would be handy too.

Really though just a great conv. reverb like space designer, but not inside Logic. :p

This just looked like a great package that covered all my basic needs atm.

http://www.pluginboutique.com/products/164-Power-Pack?currency=EUR

The price is appealing, definitely.

But, if I can do some suggestions :

Compressors :

- Klanghelm DC8C (20€), damn versatile, awesome sonics, no brainer IMO

- Kush Audio UBK-1 (150$ / ilok needed) : fantastic compressor (actually, that's 5 comps packed into one), sounds like nothing else, add movement and groove to anything, will never leave my drum buss and 2-buss. My fav compressor, period.

Delays / Delay based effet :

- Valhalla DSP Ubermod (50$) / FreqEcho (free) are both fantastic, versatile, great GUI and can get as deep (or simple) as you want/need.

- SonicCharge Permut8 (66$ +VAT) : can do anything from simple delays to weird chorus/verbs to lush digital (think early digital effect) saturation / distortion / limiting. My new fav toy, damn fun to use and sounds fantastic.

Reverbs (algo based, no convultion ones though) :

- Valhalla's (50$ each) : I own Room and Vintage Verb, loving them. Room's dark algo are gorgeous, Vintage Verb sounds lovely. I'll end buying Shimmer too.

All those plugins are great fun with Numerology too ;)

I saw there are also some EQs in the bundle : check DDMF's, great value for the money. I've always used SSL Duende Channel Strip

I'd highly recommend you to check Airwindows' plugins (my fav ones : ButterComp, ToTape, EQ). Fantastic tools as well, inexpensive, no copy protection, life-time free update, if a new plugin replace an old one you own then you get the new one for free.

Oh and check plugindiscounts and audiodeluxe if you're interested in expensive plugins, you might get them for less there.

I've demoed so many plugins, let me know if I can help.

Ps : even if bundle are appealing, I'd now avoid them. Years ago I bought SSL Duende Mini with almost all their plugins, which was appealing price-wise given the quality of the plugins. But I quickly ended using just one of their plugins. I could have saved few hundreds euros..

make sure to check out the...

KVR Market Place (Buy / Sell / Special Offers)

especially

KVR Bargain Center

bought all my recent stuff there, like the Wavearts Powersuite for an ULTRA steal!!

and be aware of some "strange" license transfer policy models..for instance, 2CAudio (great reverb but they really suck at that) wants 20% of the MRSP (~40$) as a fee AND the transferred license will become NFR (NonTransferable) afterwards. That' makes it really hard to resell such a plugin on the market without a great loss..

reverb-wise..i do like the lexicons

reverberation?oh get the quantec QRS

QRS1.jpg

...plus its control software

150370d1262056910-quantec-qrs-xl-reverb-virtual-machine-success-qrs.jpg

+

Reverbs (algo based, no convultion ones though) :

-
Valhalla's (50$ each) : I own Room and Vintage Verb, loving them.
Room's dark algo are gorgeous, Vintage Verb sounds lovely. I'll end
buying Shimmer too.

CONCUR. mighty good verbs by Valhalla, very versatile/tweakable.

the dude is dsp guru and writes a great website as well.

I have some Waves plugins that I do enjoy, mainly the compressors Rcomp and Rvox, but in my opinion it is NOT worth it, because dealing with Waves as a company blows so bad.

shit the valhala stuff is gold. Reverbs sound so great. Gonna buy the vintage one tonight.

I have some Waves plugins that I do enjoy, mainly the compressors Rcomp and Rvox, but in my opinion it is NOT worth it, because dealing with Waves as a company blows so bad.

And to be perfectly honest the other reverbs listed here actually sound better than the waves ones. Also, why are the waves plugins so ugly! They're awful! You'd think if you were a giant company you could spend some money on a graphic designer. :p

Archived