IGNORED

WATMM - Let's make the next big Youtube music hit

gmanyo

First it was Party Rock Anthem, then Gangnam Style, then Thrift Shop. I figured since we're all music people, maybe if we work hard enough we can come up with the next big song/meme one hit wonder!

It has to be a song about something kind of funny or have something slightly endearing about it (like being in Korean or being about thrift stores), but not so ridiculous that people won't get it. We need something that applies to almost everyone in the target audience; like maybe going on Facebook, or eating fast food late at night. Something that's halfway between parody and glorification of the subject matter.

Next, the music. We need a catchy, super compressed hip hop/electronic beat for the backup, and an equally catchy melody. There should definitely be a fat saw-ey synthesizer for the main melody line, and some wobbles to back it up. It needs to have an obvious verse/chorus/bridge structure, and one that lends itself easily to DANCING (don't forget the jokes!). I'm not sure exactly sure how this stuff all works in the overproduced pop world; we'll need some music theory nerds to come in on this part and guide us.

Finally, we need a flashy music video with a center guy or girl doing funny dances that anyone can do at home. It should be colorful and have much funny joking. It can be made in tandem with the song so that the whole experience of the song and a full understanding of the lyrics is achieved by watching the video.

Some other tips: our biggest market is teens to young adults, mostly people in school. This should be our target audience, although going a bit outside that to catch some fringe people would be alright as long as we aren't too out there. It should also be meme-able, very easily copied/parodied so that we get the whole viral thing going. Oh, and that's important: this should be VIRAL!!! Online guerrilla marketing is our BIGGEST tool to get this thing big; people making pictures of the video with text on them, parodies, etc.

So, throw some ideas on the table! Together we can create the next overproduced pop money making hit that will be played by annoying drunk college students for months! (or at least a few weeks, like maybe five or six)

edit:

another tip: if you like the song, you're doing it wrong; we're not going to like these melodies, they need to be pop bullshit.

What are you a 45 year old mom who has given up on life and now has to do stupid things to feel a little bit happy.

Going viral? dancing? this thread is disgusting.

We should do the equivalent of this Charlie Sheen Bi-Winning Dubstep video (8 million views):

but with quotes from Max Keiser of Russia Today's Keiser Report about being a Bit-coin millionaire. The fact that he's freezing out on that balcony gives it an especially crazed Charlie Sheen energy:

Here are some of my favorite dialogue snippets from it:

0:03 "Boy it feels great to be a Bit-coin millionaire! I'm loving it."

2:12 "This is the currency of the resistance!"

3:43 "So keep printing Ben Bernanke and Bit-coin will go to onehundredtwohundredfivehundredahundredthousandamillion dollars a Bit-coin."

5:24 "The government will be confiscating those homes in Hong Kong. The government will be confiscating those homes in New York and the city of London. The government will NOT be confiscating Bit-coin!"

7:26 "Just break all the windows and rebuild all the windows and break all the windows and rebuild all the windows andblblublblubbbbbbllblbuh! THAT'S THE ECONOMY! This is what their theory is! This is what the academics say! This is what the PhDs believe! This is what the Neo-Liberal model suggests! ..but it's all a bunch of NONSENSE! Did I mention how good it feels to be a Bit-coin millionaire!? *2 thumbs-up* "

Alright, so subject?

So far we have:

Lazy Sunday (already done, but who cares as long as it makes $$$)

Mega Mashup

Going on Facebook

Eating out late at night

Some sort of mashup of charlie sheen

My two ideas at the end are meh I think; Facebook was already done by Rhett and Link, although it was more parody than glamourification, not pastiche enough, and eating out is TOO college. Don't like the Charlie Sheen thing, not long-term marketable, more like an overnight thing. Lazy Sunday might not be bad although def way done. I would advise against a mega mashup, they're done frequently and they don't garner as many views as the things themselves.

I'm thinkin' we should really carefully follow the Thrift Shop style of doing something; about some sort of fun, goofy activity that's "hip", and being funny and catchy about it. Although we could always try the cheesy but a bit funny Call Me Maybe route.

More ideas:

Drinking

Hanging out in baby pools in front yarts

Hot tubbing

Doing stupid shit in the wee hours (as opposed to parties)

I'm trying to decide whether or not I was joking about this topic. I thought I was at first, but I can't tell anymore.

Hey, we're watmm.. We can't forget to include samples of our flagship bands, afx, boc and ae in the video...

We'll inject short snippets of watmm classics!:

• Come To Daddy!
  • Dayvan Cowboy!
  • Second Bad Vilbel!

This way, they know the viral video of the century (which is what this will be) is coming from none other than the watmm community! Hey, cOoL stuff!!!

Archived