IGNORED

RIP Jeff Hanneman

psn

So is South of Heaven.

So is Seasons in The Abyss.

So is God Hates Us All.

I sincerely wonder if they'll have a tough time playing so many songs about death, after this.

So is South of Heaven.

So is God Hates Us All.

I sincerely wonder if they'll have a tough time playing so many songs about death, after this.

I do too, they've always come off as really sensible musicians. There's no facade with them trying to emulate their music in their personal lives or pull some kind of gimmicky nihilist bullshit in which they relish in their bandmate's death.

I've always thought it was pretty cool that Jeff was a huge WWII buff, including his controversial and unapologetic fascination with the Third Reich. He and Lemmy both have medal collections including Nazi era Iron Crosses.

49 is fucking young. I thought it might be alcoholism with the liver failure but apparently he had a serious spiderbite in 2011. No idea if it's related.

So is South of Heaven.

So is God Hates Us All.

I do too, they've always come off as really sensible musicians. There's no facade with them trying to emulate their music in their personal lives or pull some kind of gimmicky nihilist bullshit in which they relish in their bandmate's death.

I've always thought it was pretty cool that Jeff was a huge WWII buff, including his controversial and unapologetic fascination with the Third Reich. He and Lemmy both have medal collections including Nazi era Iron Crosses.

49 is fucking young. I thought it might be alcoholism with the liver failure but apparently he had a serious spiderbite in 2011. No idea if it's related.

Yeah. The spider bite was a really bad thing for him.

He has been off the touring roster ever since, basically. The result was some horrible flesh-eating nonsense.

Poor dude.

I'm sure that 25+ years of hard drinking doesn't help tho.

Guest the anonymous forumite

Rip.

He wrote ALL the anthems of this band, Kerry King only wrote minor tracks. Slayer is nothing without him.

Sad day. Glad I got to see them live but I don't think this spells immediate end to Slayer. And I doubt they will have issue with death, he was the mastermind and I'm sure it'd be an insult to the man himself, not to mention everyone else, if the band didn't stay true to their roots.

That being said Slayer will never be Slayer again. also it shocked me so much because he was a musician who i just thought that because he has been around my entire life i figured he'd be there for my entire life. it was surreal to hear about his death. RIP to a metal god.

World Painted Blood had some really good songs between the mid-tempo filler, I was really looking forward to their next album. Apparently there have been some disagreements between Araya, King and Lombardo recently, and King was looking for a guitarist to fill in for their next album anyways iirc. Still, 49 is too soon for Hanneman to go

Can't believe this news. Slayer are just massive in my life, not so much nowadays (as their studio recordings went off the boil), but live they were still a force to be reckoned with.

RIB Jeff

Guest yikes

from an inside source-jeff was a serious drinker to the tune of a 12 pack everyday and a liter of vodka.

try that for 30 years

also

slayer minus jeff and dave is not really equal slayer anymore.

as we all know kerry king is a douche and a hack of a guitarist.

i'm sure they will continue and gary holt is an incredible player/composer so

all is not lost but.......it will never be the same

jefferoo-not to rub it in but you missed THE BEST LIVE METAL SHOW EVER.

no exaggeration !

slayer had a way of summoning the darkest forces of music in a live setting like no one else and basically were experts at creating hell on earth for your entertaintment.

I remember maybe ten years ago when they were playing Download festival (big outdoor UK metal bash weekend) I think they were third below the headliners (SOAD I think....). The MC came on the stage and announced that Slayer were running late to arrive and because of logistics they would be playing one of the smaller tents (excellent news then) so all Slayer fans should make their way over the other side of the field. When the tribe found the tent I remember the MC shouting over the PA telling everyone to calm down and behave, stop throwing objects about and stop setting fire to the tent!! This happened about 6 times, this geezer pleading with the crowd to calm down and stop rioting otherwise they would stop Slayer from playing. The riot continued, parts of the tent had to be extinguished and I think wisely they let Slayer play.

Archived