IGNORED

Obama Admin. admits to surveillance methods: Beating a Dead Horse Pt. 74

SR4

since we've heard the same thing from multiple sources over the past few years, not just Snowden. I think it's safe to say that most of the details are accurate.

lol, nice fucking logical deduction: a few people saying the same thing>>>MUST BE MOSTLY ACCURATE !

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an interesting article up on huffpo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/15/prism_n_3446541.html

Also with interviews of Ellsberg (whistleblower on pentagon back in the '70s) and Floyd Abrams (constitutional law expert).

But interviews with more than a dozen current and former government and technology officials and outside experts show that, while Prism has attracted the recent attention, the program actually is a relatively small part of a much more expansive and intrusive eavesdropping effort.

Americans who disapprove of the government reading their emails have more to worry about from a different and larger NSA effort that snatches data as it passes through the fiber optic cables that make up the Internet's backbone. That program, which has been known for years, copies Internet traffic as it enters and leaves the United States, then routes it to the NSA for analysis.

Whether by clever choice or coincidence, Prism appears to do what its name suggests. Like a triangular piece of glass, Prism takes large beams of data and helps the government find discrete, manageable strands of information.

The fact that it is productive is not surprising; documents show it is one of the major sources for what ends up in the president's daily briefing. Prism makes sense of the cacophony of the Internet's raw feed. It provides the government with names, addresses, conversation histories and entire archives of email inboxes.

political aide: "perhaps we could add an extra truth serum to the served coffee as well"

cameron: "shhhh! that's only for the royals"

I pay my taxes so that we can spy on foreigners. I don't pay my taxes so I can be spied upon by my own government. The G8 aspect of this is a non-story. I'd have the foreign secretary shot for treason if he wasn't doing this.

you realize where this will all be headed though, if every country just spies on others, but not domestically? We'll have this weird horse trading going on.

"Hey mate, I'll trade you the info you have on our guys, for the info we have on yours"

damn i love how they just keep trickling out little bits of the story.

Snowden's a pretty good guy in my book, here's quote

Obama's campaign promises and election gave me faith that he would lead us toward fixing the problems he outlined in his quest for votes. Many Americans felt similarly. Unfortunately, shortly after assuming power, he closed the door on investigating systemic violations of law, deepened and expanded several abusive programs, and refused to spend the political capital to end the kind of human rights violations like we see in Guantanamo, where men still sit without charge.

Yeah, from what I've seen and read so far, I have to say he fits my definition of hero.

I'm really mystified by people who say he is in league with the PRC, seemingly just because he fled to HK. Any evidence at all of this?

LOL

I agree to a certain extent. It's awesome he's doing the interview.

But to spend political capital to end Guantanomo? At what costs? He's no politician. He should stick to his job. Leaking info on what happens. No accusations, etc.

edit: oh i didn't realize that you meant Snowden's job, not Obama. haha but it's also funny you're here projecting what his 'job' ought to be, just like you have in this thread been telling us to stop talking about Greenwald because the thread 'isn't about that'. I'm just glad that people in Snowden's position aren't pussying out on bringing up other horrendous Obama policies, if he throws in a reference to an illegal gulag in there, great. Anything to strengthen the damage of the already egg-faced Obama while snowden is still in the spotlight is fine by me. Obviously hiding their opinions on other important issues hasn't detracted from that happening so far. So my thoughts are just keep piling it on. The way I see it is Greenwald and Snowden have lasted this long grabbing world headlines, they gotta keep the momentum going.
the fact (which you point out) that it takes any political capital whatsoever to exclaim why it's morrally right to close a gulag which exists to circumvent international law, illustrates just how fucked up our political climate is.

flol at the priorities.

obama failed to come up with proper heatlhcare that he promised for tens or even hundreds of millions of people>>> LETS WORRY ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF 200 POW's INSTEAD.

though it's a tangent, I do think the issue of how much money he made shows he may be prone to exaggeration. I find it funny he claimed $200k but he was making $120k. And his rationalizations in that interview sound like just that.

you're right again eugene. the people in gitmo who have no charges against them and have been essentially free to go should just fucking rot in prison until America gets its health system sorted. clever!

flol at the priorities.

obama failed to come up with proper heatlhcare that he promised for tens or even hundreds of millions of people>>> LETS WORRY ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF 200 POW's INSTEAD.

"oh Eugene!"

where's that rolly-eyed "Oh you!" dog when you need him.

why is it either/or? Breaking one campaign promise, is, I think, not as bad as continuing the egregious violation of the US constitution and due process. I think it's right to focus on Gitmo even if the number effected is smaller. It's a stain on our nation.

I really, really don't understand why during the "Age of Terrorism" the govt. seems so phobic of trials in a court of law. What better way to underscore the values that America is supposed to hold dear? It makes me ashamed...

Edit: Alco beat me to it, and funnier, lol

im questioning snowden here (and the general libertarian paradigm), not obama , of course the pres. must multitask.

it's just peculiar how suffering of millions of americans is less of a pressing issue than suffering of about 200 detainees. there's something religious about this belief in constitution of yours. the stain of your nation is people dying on the streets if they have no cash.

im questioning snowden here (and the general libertarian paradigm), not obama , of course the pres. must multitask.

it's just peculiar how suffering of millions of americans is less of a pressing issue than suffering of about 200 detainees. there's something religious about this belief in constitution of yours. the stain of your nation is people dying on the streets if they have no cash.

I don't disagree about the last line, but again you are just trolling by setting it up as a choice.

And as for "there's something religious about this belief in constitution of yours." : yes, indeed.

Archived