IGNORED

Going Veggie Again!

spunktronics

If you're doing it because you find yourself unable to keep an stable and healthy diet when eating meat, you should maybe plan on a more balanced diet or something instead of ditching meat forever

IMO

That is the exact reason why I am doing it! It makes me plan a better healthier diet, than having the easy option of something processed or convinient and probably meaty...

Lots of vegetarian food is processed to hell and equally as bad for you as poor quality meat. Are you going vegan then?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're doing it because you find yourself unable to keep an stable and healthy diet when eating meat, you should maybe plan on a more balanced diet or something instead of ditching meat forever

IMO

That is the exact reason why I am doing it! It makes me plan a better healthier diet, than having the easy option of something processed or convinient and probably meaty...

Lots of vegetarian food is processed to hell and equally as bad for you as poor quality meat. Are you going vegan then?

Like what?

IMO

Like what?

Basically everything that is processed. I don't know. What kind of stuff do you eat? Raw foods are the best way.Granola bars and shit like that aren't doing you any favors.

Raw vegetables usually have insecticides and whatnot. I'm a vegetarian but honestly I wouldn't do it for health reasons unless, I don't know, you have a liver condition and can't digest fats. If you want to eat fish rather than meat then that's fine and actually it does sound healthier but that's not being a vegetarian.

Raw vegetables usually have insecticides and whatnot. I'm a vegetarian but honestly I wouldn't do it for health reasons unless, I don't know, you have a liver condition and can't digest fats. If you want to eat fish rather than meat then that's fine and actually it does sound healthier but that's not being a vegetarian.

Insecticides can be washed off and veggies are easily the most nutritious food you have available to consume.

lol

"i'm going veggie! ok, i'm not actually really going veggie cos i eat some types of animal... what are you thoughts on that?"

This.

Check out the documentary 'Forks Over Knives' if you want to learn about a bunch of the benefits of a plant-based diet.

Here's Dr. Colin Campbell talking about how meat and dairy cause cancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfsT-qYeqGM

I tried going veggie for a brief time over nine years ago. It certainly helps the digestive tract.

Fish and veggies sounds pretty healthy. Salmon and halibut in particular are quite abundant where I'm from, and salmon is very tasty in smoked form.

"One of the most commonly cited reasons is that of health, based on findings that red meat is detrimental to health in many cases due to non-lean red meats containing high amounts of saturated fats,[2][3]choline and carnitine.[4] Eating certain kinds of fish raises HDL levels,[5][6] and some fish are a convenient source of omega-3 fatty acids,[7] and have numerous health benefits in one food variety.[8] A 1999 meta-analysis of five studies comparing vegetarian and non-vegetarian mortality rates in Western countries found that in comparison with regular meat-eaters, mortality from ischemic heart disease was 34% lower in pescetarians, 34% lower in ovo-lacto vegetarians, 26% lower in vegans and 20% lower in occasional meat-eaters.[9]"

Check out the documentary 'Forks Over Knives' if you want to learn about a bunch of the benefits of a plant-based diet.

He used 90% casein protein from dairy cows. His study is bad science in my opinion. You cannot claim that a study is based on protein when it is in fact a study of casein. Not to mention all the other variables that have to be considered when collecting dairy protein. One the biggest issues with all the studies that claim red meat will kill you is that they never evaluate the source of the red meat nor do they differentiate between a common commercially raised animal and a grassfed organic one.

Everyone should be taking in Omega-3's whether it be from a supplement or from fresh fish not farmed fish.

They also fail to evaluate when considering the advantages of a veggie diet what the variables are in the actual meat itself.

Guest RadarJammer

i rebelled against my western diet by becoming full vegan but then i slowly and methodically explored my moral boundaries and dietary needs and now I'm pretty comfy eating a pound or so of local bison a week

bison are hormone free and can survive blizzards and extreme heat so they are farmed in happy herds on the range in ways that cows can't be. if the factory cow farm is giving you too much guilt then bison is the answer

morals could never keep me vegetarian in the future I don't think. i would give a chicken the death of a thousand cuts without loosing any sleep, if it mean't having a tasty sandwich

He used 90% casein protein from dairy cows. His study is bad science in my opinion. You cannot claim that a study is based on protein when it is in fact a study of casein. Not to mention all the other variables that have to be considered when collecting dairy protein. One the biggest issues with all the studies that claim red meat will kill you is that they never evaluate the source of the red meat nor do they differentiate between a common commercially raised animal and a grassfed organic one.

Everyone should be taking in Omega-3's whether it be from a supplement or from fresh fish not farmed fish.

They also fail to evaluate when considering the advantages of a veggie diet what the variables are in the actual meat itself.

Did you actually watch all of it? The title is the title and the content is the content.

I cooked for a gay vegan once. I had only brought stuff to cook a bolognese, then was told I had to do one vegan meal as well, but I didn't have anything vegan except onion, crushed tomato and carrots, so I tried to make a sauce out of that and to my surprise it worked! It actually tasted better than the bolognese. I was real proud of myself for improvising a good vegan meal, so I made sure he had extra parmigiano on his pasta.

Guest fiznuthian

Wow this discussion could get tense..

I eat a lot of animal food personally, and I can't say my health has suffered in the slightest. Metabolically i'm in the best shape of my life, in a great mood, etc.. But at the same time I eat very close to zero processed/junk foods too. My daily diet is usually root veg like potatoes or lots of fruit, sweet potatoes, eggs, meat, coconut oil and butter, some vegetables, coffee and very dark chocolate (lindt 90%). Only on very, very rare occasions will I pig out on poor quality foods and then i'm back on my routine for weeks/months on end.

So is it the meat really? Or have plants have been idealized somehow? It seems to me, among the veggie community, there's a majority that are not willing to recognize how multi-factoral human diet can be. No one can deny that a vast majority of people eat like complete shit with no regard for their health. Those people almost always eat poor quality food that also contains meat. Their diet of junk is extremely diverse, and so to target one variable among many is almost impossible to do. It strikes me as odd that Colin Campbell, Dean Ornish, and the like fail to understand this. Their methods of compiling epidemiological data and trying to establish causality are at best poor science.

In my opinions plants can be very ideal foods. I will not dispute this. There's also a widespread belief that plant food in general is ideal for most people. I disagree, and feel strongly that while some may tolerate a food there are others who do not. This seems to be related in part to gut microorganisms and the wildly unpredictable state of our human tissues and genome.

It's safe to say that everyone needs to discover what works best for them. Good old fashioned trial and error.

I digest fruits (this took some time to adapt to) and starches like potato and rice very well. Some vegetables do okay but some others don't fare well. I have a strong preference for fruits and at times will eat no vegetables at all beyond the starchy roots.

I cooked for a gay vegan once. I had only brought stuff to cook a bolognese, then was told I had to do one vegan meal as well, but I didn't have anything vegan except onion, crushed tomato and carrots, so I tried to make a sauce out of that and to my surprise it worked! It actually tasted better than the bolognese. I was real proud of myself for improvising a good vegan meal, so I made sure he had extra parmigiano on his pasta.

I've perfected an awesome vegan pasta sauce recipe that is better than most meat based sauces I've made (exception being the one I make with my Italian family's homemade cured pork sausages). Cannelini beans, crushed tomato, chilli, onion, oregano, basil, thyme, paprika and a tiny bit of cumin, salt and pepper. I eat it 2-3 times a week.

i'm poor and relying on the sainsburys reduced section after 10 pm when stuff gets double reduced.

so at the moment i'm eating an entirely veggie diet but cooking it all in lard (seriously)

thoughts?

@modey: Haha I have these all-time-fav-recipes as well, for me it's chili con carne I cook at least once a week. Also cumin in that one, and coriander, not powdered though, I use the seeds and mortar them to medium-sized bits.

I think you missed the tragic punchline of my story though - I accidentally fed the vegan cheese! I only noticed when he said he liked "that crumble-topping" .... I felt like I poisoned him or something. It's such an automatic thing to put parmesan on top ... I didn't realize. But then again, how the fuck do you not eat cheese, seriously. Vegetarian I can get but Vegan, come on ...

@modey: Haha I have these all-time-fav-recipes as well, for me it's chili con carne I cook at least once a week. Also cumin in that one, and coriander, not powdered though, I use the seeds and mortar them to medium-sized bits.

I think you missed the tragic punchline of my story though - I accidentally fed the vegan cheese! I only noticed when he said he liked "that crumble-topping" .... I felt like I poisoned him or something. It's such an automatic thing to put parmesan on top ... I didn't realize. But then again, how the fuck do you not eat cheese, seriously. Vegetarian I can get but Vegan, come on ...

Veganism is awesome. When I went vegan--after a brief period of adjustment--I physically just felt so much better all the time.

I do miss certain non-vegan foods (I used to eat pizza every day of my life) but there's just so much amazing vegan food that it's not really an issue. in fact, the greatest meal I've ever had in my life was my girlfriend's vegan ravioli.

I think anyone looking at veggie for the nutritional benefits should examine the bulletproof diet. It acknowledges the short comings of a veggie diet while also debunking some of the myths about animal products. It is complicated and forward thinking so it takes time to begin to understand. It has worked very well for me. Everything from the diet to the supplementation has a huge positive impact on my life. Even vegan has shortcomings in that it involves using chemicals during processing that are unhealthy. It also deprives your body of a lot of important things especially if you aren't extremely knowledgeable about nutrition, and more specifically getting proper nutrition solely from plants. There is a reason vegans are converting to bulletproof everyday.

Anyway, look and listen for yourself. If you are truly skeptical just try bulletproof coffee. I guarantee you will notice crazy differences in your energy, hunger, and ability to think clearly. Truly mycotoxin free coffee is miles ahead of regular coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBgKbwzsBAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY26mXMVDko

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/

Oh, and by the way Braintree. He specifically talks about the inflammatory effects of casein, and The China Study, which he claims is misrepresented, in the first video.

Archived