IGNORED

Woody Allen/Dylan Farrow thing

lumpenprol

Chen: I normally don't care about celebrities. I don't keep up. It's always someone else telling me this stuff. But Woody Allen is a special case. A 55 year old man having sex with a 19 year old shows you that the man is not a decent man. That is 5 times your 7 year gap.

It's not as if Soon-Yi wasn't consenting, but at one point we have to look at a situation and agree that it is a failure of humanity, that while those two people may very well be happy, it's completely overshadowed by the harm they are doing to everyone else. Woody Allen and Soon-Yi basically destroyed that whole family.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, just realized I typed ephebophobe rather than ephebophile in my earlier post, dur.

To take a slight "better not to go there" digression, I wonder what sort of crossover, if any, there is between ephebophiles and pedophiles...seems to me they are quite different things. The old "if there's grass on the field, play ball" thing. I have been turned on by 16 yr olds. I can conceive of being turned on by jailbait in let's say, the 13-15 yr old range (though I'm pretty sure I'd hold back even if given a "perfect" opportunity...I'd just have too many flashbacks to my own 15 yr old fumbling with my first gf). But I can't imagine at all being turned on by a pre-pubescent girl's body, ever. It's just totally foreign to me. So I think they must be fairly separate phenomena.

Point being regardless of what the law says, I do put true child pedos in a separate category. They are monsters, not just your typical sleazy male opportunists (of which there are many...hello R Kelly, Polanski et al. Although come to think of it, R Kelly may be such a wild man that he just fucks and pisses on anything with a vagina). Don't think Woody fits the "true pedo" bill from what I've read so far.

Woody Allen and Soon-Yi basically destroyed that whole family.

dunno, it's a pretty fucking huge family, Mia Farrow collects children like beanie babies, she has FIFTEEN children (or so google tells me). Doubt Woody and Soon Yi fucked up that large a family, you could make an even better argument that Mia fucked up the family by cheating on Woody with Sinatra a decade or so into their relationship, lol (can't be bothered to find the actual dates and do the math, but it was something like that).

Anyway I agree it was quite selfish of Woody to pursue Soon Yi, he was probably doing it out of sleaziness but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some spite and vindictiveness in his decision too, in terms of really sticking it to Mia. I would use the terms "crass", and "vulgar". But it doesn't at all make me more inclined to believe he sexually abused his seven year old daughter (especially right in the middle of a very acrimonious split from Mia).

i guess this technicality about whether she was actually his daughter or not has no effect on my view that the whole premise of their relationship seems very sleazy to me. It seems like a semantic distraction from the fact that a 55 year old man 'officially' got with a 19 year old. Who knows how much earlier than 19 they were fucking or getting down with eachother, i'd prefer not to think about it.

This.

Yeah just reading some vague stuff on Wiki about him is weirding me out so I won't be watching that doc!

I appreciate the counter-arguments against all the allegations against Woody Allen, and I admit that we'll never know the full story when the accounts from Farrow's camp are at partly unreliable. But honestly, it's really this very subtle anti-woman tone that permeates his work. He made some iconic films, yes, but he's also become one of these untouchable, extremely well-connected celebrities because of the acclaim lauded upon him. A person beloved by powerful people has all the reason to feel invincible.

All of you dismissing it as, "she wasn't his adopted daughter," are completely wrong and know nothing about adoption. When you adopt someone, that person becomes your child. End of story. No different than a biological child. That is the commitment you are taking on. And if you marry someone with adopted children, that means they are your children, not even just step children.

This is the core of the issue: he wants, and gets, all the perks of a relationship without any of the normal responsibilities. That "she was never legally adopted/he and Mia never married" is arbitrary horseshit. That's a smary lawyer retort. Here's a question. He was very specific on how did and didn't legally adopt. He adopted Dylan and Moshe when he began his relationship with Mia, but he didn't adopt her other children, including Soon-Yi. Then after he married Soon-Yi, he seemed ok with adopting again. Now how the fuck does that make sense?

thank you Chen. That's what really bothers me about the way most people react, a completely blind rush to judgment.

Zaphod, I was wondering the same thing (about either infertility or him actually being a pedo, and so unable to perform with adults?)

I'd really like to watch that doc you mention Awe.

I don't deny there's a possibility Woody is a pedophile (or, more likely, an...ephebophobe...lol new words). I do find it strange that he does his talking through his lawyer. The Soon Yi thing doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother some people - I don't see people denying she was a consenting adult when they got involved - but yes, his excuse of "the heart wants what it wants" seems like he's almost proud to break cultural norms. In that case he might be willing to go further. On the other hand, I could see myself saying something similar under certain circumstances, and they have been together seemingly happily for 20 yrs or something, so...But yeah, if Mia's brother was a pedo, it stands to reason someone in her bro's early life was a pedo preying on him, and if that guy was the Farrow patriarch, then Mia probably was exposed to some shit growing up...which might explain her going with Sinatra when there was more than a 30 yr age gap.

Mia's father John introduced his daughter to Frank Sinatra at the age of eleven. John Farrow was sleeping with Frank's first wife, Ava Gardner. The affair had separated her dad from her mother, the actress Maureen O'Sullivan. John Farrow told Frank to stay away from his daughter. Farrow was a Hollywood girl, although due to a childhood bout of polio, extremely inexperienced in matters of sex.

(this article has some interesting claims, who knows if true, a much better read than most:

http://thisrecording.com/today/2011/10/19/in-which-mia-farrow-catches-the-eye-of-frank-sinatra.html)

But it seems more reasonable to me that Farrow went for father figures, not necessarily pedophiles.

I haven't yet re-examined Allen's work with an eye towards pedophilia, but I don't remember anything overt (unlike, say, Luc Besson, who I wouldn't be surprised at all if they busted for pedophilia...The Professional, and anyone remember the bizarre last convo between Bruce Willis and his mother in 5th element? Dude has issues imo). In fact I've always liked "Everything you Always Wanted to Know About Sex but were Afraid to Ask", the orgasmotron in Sleeper, etc. Also he has several films which seem to show a normal, adult fixation with romance, breakups, etc. Seems to me at least going from his body of work that he's a normal enough dude (if neurotic and geeky). Eg., Mighty Aphrodite shows a fixation with a tall bimbo stripper, not a Lolita-age hooker (based purely on filmography, you could make a better argument for Scorsese being a pedo based on Jodi Foster in Taxi Driver, lol).

That Mia/Sinatra story was interesting, had no idea.

I just think he has a distorted and fucked personality in general. He's selfish, sets up unrealistic female partners in his films and real life, perpetually relies on his neurotic persona, and has used his psychoanalysis obsession IRL for decades. He's childishly dismissive of any personal critics.

This sums it up really, and this was before the network of supporters and powerful media friends he has now:

At age 19, Allen married 16-year-old Harlene Rosen.[111] The marriage lasted from 1954 to 1959. Time stated that the years were "nettling" and "unsettling."[111]

Rosen, whom Allen referred to in his standup act as "the Dread Mrs. Allen", sued him for defamation due to comments at a TV appearance shortly after their divorce. Allen tells a different story on his mid-1960s standup album Standup Comic. In his act, Allen said that Rosen sued him because of a joke he made in an interview. Rosen had been sexually assaulted outside her apartment and according to Allen, the newspapers reported that she "had been violated". In the interview, Allen said, "Knowing my ex-wife, it probably wasn't a moving violation." In an interview on The Dick Cavett Show, Allen brought up the incident again where he repeated his comments and stated that the sum for which he was sued was "$1 million."

But regarding the backlash toward Farrow, and it does exist though I hadn't seen it on this thread really, there's way, way too much credence given to the counterargument that she falsified or exaggerated allegations out of spite (warranted honestly, considering he broke up with her for one of her children...who conveniently was not legally his). It's akin to people dismissing, say a corporate or government whistleblower with incriminating evidence because they were "dissatisfied at work." It's a cop out.

Men are turned on by women. Based on life experience, choices, reflection, (prayer), some men try to conquer those feelings and go for a stable marriage, thus doing their part in the success of human civilization. The less of the above one does, the less appropriate attraction one will be comfortable with.

People of both genders often mature fully by age 16. The 18 legal cutoff is arbitrary besides being based on the age most are done with high school. I was attracted to highschool girls when I was in highschool. The memory of that attraction is not inappropriate. But knowing what I know now, making the mistakes I have made, I would never want to hurt/confuse someone more than they already will be. Love for another person's whole self should overcome lust.

I just think he has a distorted and fucked personality in general. He's selfish, sets up unrealistic female partners in his films and real life, perpetually relies on his neurotic persona, and has used his psychoanalysis obsession IRL for decades. He's childishly dismissive of any personal critics.

This sums it up really, and this was before the network of supporters and powerful media friends he has now:

But regarding the backlash toward Farrow, and it does exist though I hadn't seen it on this thread really, there's way, way too much credence given to the counterargument that she falsified or exaggerated allegations out of spite (warranted honestly, considering he broke up with her for one of her children...who conveniently was not legally his). It's akin to people dismissing, say a corporate or government whistleblower with incriminating evidence because they were "dissatisfied at work." It's a cop out.

I like the way you worded the part I put in bold above, I think it's probably true Woody's personality has some unsavory elements.

But I disagree with the last part, it sounds like you're saying Mia would be justified to falsify allegations because Woody dared to date Soon Yi. I hope I'm misunderstanding.

Child abuse is about the worst thing I can think of that can be done to someone, but character assassination is pretty fucking high up my list of terrible things to do, too. If it is true that Mia fabricated the claim, or coached her daughter, or offered to pay a maid to accuse Woody, than I see her as the lowest of the low, much lower than the shock factor of Woody dating Soon Yi.

I like the way you worded the part I put in bold above, I think it's probably true Woody's personality has some unsavory elements.

But I disagree with the last part, it sounds like you're saying Mia would be justified to falsify allegations because Woody dared to date Soon Yi. I hope I'm misunderstanding.

Child abuse is about the worst thing I can think of that can be done to someone, but character assassination is pretty fucking high up my list of terrible things to do, too. If it is true that Mia fabricated the claim, or coached her daughter, or offered to pay a maid to accuse Woody, than I see her as the lowest of the low, much lower than the shock factor of Woody dating Soon Yi.

I'm apologizing for Mia and Dylan's intense campaigning against Allen. I would not defend either falsifying anything, even as "backstabbing" as Allen's move was to begin a relationship with Soon-Yi. Things can easily get exaggerated or inconsistent, but that does negate their credibility. I feel bad that Mia's legal traction in the past has been often setback by Allen's lawyers arguing she's merely out to get him. That's unfair imo. Same goes for Dylan, who is having a hard time making a case without Mia's influence being brought up as a factor.

I will say this, the whole case kind of cancels itself out in media coverage. Mia has her supporters, Woody has his. It's not completely biased or one-sided. A lot of people have been hurt and upset and we're arguably all too prying. I feel he's at the heart of it, but this could be a lot more heinous all around. We're not talking mysteriously "dead" individuals or conspiracies of rich and powerful people committing and getting away with disturbing crimes. It's the aftermath of a train-wreck relationship and his inappropriate actions - the extent of which may never be established legally. And yes, my personal lack of empathy for Woody does stem, admittedly, for not caring for the guy at all artistically.

I like him fairly well artistically (loved him growing up, as an adult I can take him or leave him, mostly...though from time to time I'll catch a scene from one of his films online and find myself laughing again). He got a bit ponderous and self-serious it seems, I wish he had continued to make more screwball stuff.

Still I'd like to think that doesn't affect my judgment of the matter. As we were discussing before I'm a huge Herzog fan (and to a lesser extent, Kinski fan), but I readily accept the child abuse charges against Kinski. I like Polanski's films a good deal, but I consider him fairly repugnant personally due to the "drug and bumsex" event. And it has colored my appreciation of his films, I'll watch them but I do so with a more jaundiced eye. If I knew with 100% clarity that Woody was an actual pedophile, meaning sexually abusing a pre-pubescent girl, I'm certain I'd avoid his films in the future. But I don't think that makes me more reluctant to look at the charges objectively.

But honestly, it's really this very subtle anti-woman tone that permeates his work.

He's selfish, sets up unrealistic female partners in his films and real life, perpetually relies on his neurotic persona, and has used his psychoanalysis obsession IRL for decades.

I call bullshit on this. Aren't you the guy who has only seen Antz?

edit: terrible spelling.

But honestly, it's really this very subtle anti-woman tone that permeates his work.

He's selfish, sets up unrealistic female partners in his films and real life, perpetually relies on his neurotic persona, and has used his psychoanalysis obsession IRL for decades.

I call bullshit on this. Aren't you the guy who has only seem Antz?

lol if this were 2005 I believe the word would be "pwned".

If Soon-Yi was a consenting adult at the time they began their relationship, who the fuck are we to judge?

Would I be happy if my 18 year old daughter decided to start dating (lord she's 9 now, dating is gonna start in 5 or 6 years) a man 35 years her senior? Probably not, but if she was truly happy, then good for her. And they've been married fro 20 years now - do we think this just lust?

Look, if Woody Allen is guilty, then let him be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But it is for a court to decide (and they did), and this bringing it back into the public like Farrow is doing is inexcusable. The timing is also very off - why not resurface these allegations when Allen and Previn adopted? Surely she would have wanted to protect new children from this potential "monster".

Anyways, I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this celebrity polar vortex, but to see the court of public opinion come out so strongly here simply because "the guy seems creepy" (jesus, how many people on here have been accused of being weird by their peer group?) is really somewhat off-putting.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Anyways, I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this celebrity polar vortex, but to see the court of public opinion come out so strongly here simply because "the guy seems creepy" (jesus, how many people on here have been accused of being weird by their peer group?) is really somewhat off-putting.

From what little I've seen of his work, I have absolutely no desire to see any more of it than I already have. Don't think I've been able to stomach sitting through a whole film let alone more than one. Does nothing for me. As for his private life, if he'd been the age he is now and got into a relationship with a mid-twenties lingerie model that would be amusing. The fact is he went for an extremely young girl who has close ties to his own family and people in his immediate circle. Might be legal but that doesn't make it any less creepy. This isn't just a nerd with a few social anxiety issues we're talking about here. 20 years is a long time, but that doesn't automatically mean happiness either. Sure if they are both truly happy then good for them and it's really none of our business, but the whole thing just doesn't sit well with me.

Look, if Woody Allen is guilty, then let him be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But it is for a court to decide (and they did), and this bringing it back into the public like Farrow is doing is inexcusable. The timing is also very off - why not resurface these allegations when Allen and Previn adopted? Surely she would have wanted to protect new children from this potential "monster".

ding ding!

her support for Polanski is also incongruous with a mother outraged by a sexual abuse. Not to mention her and Ronan's tweets were just really weird. They keep referring to "a woman" accused Allen of etc. Why wouldn't she say "my *daughter* was molested by that monster". This was her tweet that only came after her son Ronan made an accusatory tweet. In fact her first tweet during Woody's award ceremony was a joke about changing the channel to watch "Girls"

“A woman has publicly detailed Woody Allen’s molestation of her at age 7. Golden Globe tribute showed contempt for her and all abuse survivors.”

Who the hell refers to her daughter as "a woman"?

ding ding!

her support for Polanski is also incongruous with a mother outraged by a sexual abuse. Not to mention her and Ronan's tweets were just really weird. They keep referring to "a woman" accused Allen of etc. Why wouldn't she say "my *daughter* was molested by that monster". This was her tweet that only came after her son Ronan made an accusatory tweet. In fact her first tweet during Woody's award ceremony was a joke about changing the channel to watch "Girls"

“A woman has publicly detailed Woody Allen’s molestation of her at age 7. Golden Globe tribute showed contempt for her and all abuse survivors.”

it's to emphasize the fact that the globes shouldn't be rewarding him in the face of such accusations. whether it's her daughter or not, it's bad judgement on their part. that's how i read it anyway.

ding ding!

it's to emphasize the fact that the globes shouldn't be rewarding him in the face of such accusations. whether it's her daughter or not, it's bad judgement on their part. that's how i read it anyway.

She consented to having a clip of Allen's "Purple Rose of Cairo" with her in it be used for the Cecil B. Demille lifetime achievement video montage that he received at the Globes.

keltoi: it's still inexcusable - if you want truth and reconciliation in this sort of intensely private affair, do you bring it out into the light with no fresh accusation or evidence, or indeed, no new criminal charges? Or do you try and resolve this intensely private matter in a more appropriate sort of forum? After the truth has outed, then yes by all means go public with your findings.

Also did you read the Daily Beast article linked earlier in this thread? The author brings up a very interesting point:

A brief but chilling synopsis of the accusation is as follows: On August 4, 1992, almost four months after the revelation about Woody and Soon-Yi’s relationship understandably ignited a firestorm within the Farrow household, Woody was visiting Frog Hollow, the Farrow country home in Bridgewater, Connecticut, where Mia and several of her kids were staying. During an unsupervised moment, Woody allegedly took Dylan into the attic and, shall we say, “touched her inappropriately.” Later in the day, it was alleged that the child was wearing her sundress, but that her underpants were missing. The following day, Mia’s daughter allegedly told her mother what had happened, and Mia put the child’s recounting of the story on videotape as evidence.

I know I’m treading a delicate path here, and opening myself up to accusations of “blaming the victim.” However, I’m merely floating scenarios to consider, and you can think what you will. But if Mia’s account is true, it means that in the middle of custody and support negotiations, during which Woody needed to be on his best behavior, in a house belonging to his furious ex-girlfriend, and filled with people seething mad at him, Woody, who is a well-known claustrophobic, decided this would be the ideal time and place to take his daughter into an attic and molest her, quickly, before a house full of children and nannies noticed they were both missing.

Take a long hard look at that last sentence and mull it over.

That daily beast article is the MUST READ before any comments are made about this issue. I always thought that Mia was a flake but i didn't realise she would put her derangement to such sinister ends. She should be locked up in the same hole that they throw her brother.

As for his private life, if he'd been the age he is now and got into a relationship with a mid-twenties lingerie model that would be amusing. The fact is he went for an extremely young girl who has close ties to his own family and people in his immediate circle. Might be legal but that doesn't make it any less creepy.

Yeah, if only he'd bought a gold-digging lingerie model instead of falling in love with someone, things would be A-OK.

ding ding!

She consented to having a clip of Allen's "Purple Rose of Cairo" with her in it be used for the Cecil B. Demille lifetime achievement video montage that he received at the Globes.

keltoi: it's still inexcusable - if you want truth and reconciliation in this sort of intensely private affair, do you bring it out into the light with no fresh accusation or evidence, or indeed, no new criminal charges? Or do you try and resolve this intensely private matter in a more appropriate sort of forum? After the truth has outed, then yes by all means go public with your findings.

Also did you read the Daily Beast article linked earlier in this thread? The author brings up a very interesting point:

A brief but chilling synopsis of the accusation is as follows: On August 4, 1992, almost four months after the revelation about Woody and Soon-Yi’s relationship understandably ignited a firestorm within the Farrow household, Woody was visiting Frog Hollow, the Farrow country home in Bridgewater, Connecticut, where Mia and several of her kids were staying. During an unsupervised moment, Woody allegedly took Dylan into the attic and, shall we say, “touched her inappropriately.” Later in the day, it was alleged that the child was wearing her sundress, but that her underpants were missing. The following day, Mia’s daughter allegedly told her mother what had happened, and Mia put the child’s recounting of the story on videotape as evidence.

I know I’m treading a delicate path here, and opening myself up to accusations of “blaming the victim.” However, I’m merely floating scenarios to consider, and you can think what you will. But if Mia’s account is true, it means that in the middle of custody and support negotiations, during which Woody needed to be on his best behavior, in a house belonging to his furious ex-girlfriend, and filled with people seething mad at him, Woody, who is a well-known claustrophobic, decided this would be the ideal time and place to take his daughter into an attic and molest her, quickly, before a house full of children and nannies noticed they were both missing.

Take a long hard look at that last sentence and mull it over.

:Takes a long hard look at that last sentence and mulls it over:

edit - i hadn't read that article but i will now. brb.

As for his private life, if he'd been the age he is now and got into a relationship with a mid-twenties lingerie model that would be amusing. The fact is he went for an extremely young girl who has close ties to his own family and people in his immediate circle. Might be legal but that doesn't make it any less creepy.

Yeah, if only he'd bought a gold-digging lingerie model instead of falling in love with someone, things would be A-OK.

It saddened me that people on my facebook went for the whole pedo hysteria thing as well. It shows you how powerful a force that issue is i guess, illustrates why it's used as a go to by the media for distracting the population.

I also see the lingerie model thing as more sickly than the true love thing.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I'm not sure why you're so convinced their relationship is all perfect and happy? If it is then great, but it didn't sound particularly healthy from what JE was saying he saw in that doc. Are you seriously going to make me watch it to make up my own mind? I'd rather just type some idle words into the internet than watch anything with Woody Allen in it

How about consider a few things:

When they started their relationship, Soon-yi was a consenting adult.

She's obviously quite smart, she graduated from Columbia.

They have two adopted children together - generally speaking women do not adopt two children with a man they are unhappy with.

And finally, they have been together for nigh on 20 years.

Relationships of 20 years generally indicate that there is something real there.

Archived