IGNORED

Universally adored music

Soloman Tump

Growing up, everyone that I ran in to, regardless what kind of person they were, loved Bob Marley. I always thought Bob Marley fit the criteria of this thread title. But now that I live out in the country, anybody that I've asked(and I've been sure to ask everyone that I've gotten to know somewhat) dislikes Bob Marley and reggae as a whole. It's really quite mind-blowing. Reggae, but especially Bob was always close to everyone I knew growing up in Miami. These thoughts really make for a cold winter when I look at the people around me.

I think it's like going to America and assuming everyone love Elvis and 50s rock n' roll or some other iconic yet dated musician. You'll get a lot "eh...sure..." Or maybe like, thinking that the entire American South loves Lynyrd Skynyrd or that all of New Jersey loves Bruce Springsteen, Pacific NW likes 90s grunge, etc.

It's likely a tire expectation by tourists (I'm not saying you are, you probably asked out of sincere curiosity) and likewise what is objectively "classic reggae" and 80s pop reggae is only a fraction of the musical context and history there - there's ska and rocksteady before that, soundclash culture, dancehall (itself a very long history), dub, etc. When I stopped there briefly on a cruise in Falmouth I thought it was funny seeing the bus driver switch from his favorite local station to a cd labeled "old classics."

The only thing I ever enjoy about idm is the bleeps. Other than that it all sounds like one song to me.

:cat:

Kind of a hard question since so many different things decide if we like a track or not. It usually isn't only about the music, it's also often about reassuring ourselves that we enjoy a certain kind of music, so there's also a small "i want to like this" attitude which gets in the way.

If people started to be completely honest about their opinion on a track, there could be some universally adored music. i'm thinking flim by afx, satie's gymnopedies, possibly the soundtrack to Amelie.

Archived