IGNORED

First Look Media launch, Glenn Greenwald's new website

awepittance

After a long wait, the Glenn Greenwald headed 'First Look' website has launched. Featuring a cover story by former Oakland noise-musician Trevor Paglen (noisegate) who was able to provide the first ever pictures of unseen NSA headquarters. The Glenn Greenwald/Jeremy Scahill story has new information obtained from Snowden leaks about how the NSA uses primarily GPS location data on a cellphone to order drone strikes, sometimes with no other intelligence whatsoever. Meaning that the people killed on the other end of that phone are assumed to be the 'bad guys' but the people ordering the strikes literally have no way of knowing who's using the phone.

main site here : https://firstlook.org/theintercept/

new snowden links providing details on how the NSA uses cell phone data to find drone targets
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/02/10/the-nsas-secret-role/

first photos of various NSA and data collection agencies by Trevor Paglen
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/02/10/new-photos-of-nsa-and-others/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would be interesting to see if they produce film media/documentaries for the site.

yes this is what i'm hoping, because brown-shirt Maher now owns something like 50% of vice, everything they report now even remotely political is very suspect to me. See their recent Sochi olympics corruption video report for example.

They already did a short movie interviewing Trevor Paglen about his helicopter flights to take the photographs he presented

it would be interesting to see if they produce film media/documentaries for the site.

yes this is what i'm hoping, because brown-shirt Maher now owns something like 50% of vice, everything they report now even remotely political is very suspect to me. See their recent Sochi olympics corruption video report for example.

They already did a short movie interviewing Trevor Paglen about his helicopter flights to take the photographs he presented

it's all about instant video media these days; not long articles or blog posts. Yeah I mean, just look at how well Vice are doing, and it's primarily founded upon film media content and investigative reporting (though I can't honestly say I enjoy everything they put out there).

edit: interesting to know that Maher owns a large chunk of Vice. I know Rupert Murdoch recently gave them lots of cash so I'm sure he has an investment as well. I don't think they're 'sell outs' though. Some of their War/Conflict investigative reports are quite interesting.

i think at this point it would be nearly impossible. He was slated to come on before the Edward Snowden thing broke and then it fell through due to scheduling conflicts. She would love to have him on though. I'm trying to convince her through the Russia Today contacts to get her some kind of exclusive interview with Edward Snowden, i doubt it will happen but its worth a shot. She had scahill on in the past, and apparently Glenn is an admirer of her work and has spoken to her over twitter privately a few times

• 1 month later...

nevermind, that's most probably delete's drunken moderation.

my point, again, was that yet again greenwald doesn't really bring anything to show who the nsa targets exactly (while of course everyone assumes that it targets law abiding and innocent citizens). he might as well talk about u.s. military coming up with new super deadly weapons capable of killing people with utmost efficiency, would make much more impact than a mere capability of nsa for infecting computers with malware.

if that's the info you want, do your part to figure out who they're targeting rather than getting mad that it wasn't spoonfed to us through some partial leaks. greenwald is doing a service by bringing the program to light in the first place.

if your point is that you'd prefer greenwald just shut up because he doesn't have all the data, watmm isn't the place to take that complaint

if that's the info you want, do your part to figure out who they're targeting. greenwald is doing a service by bringing the program to light in the first place.

the most commonsensical position is that they're targeting usa's foreign adversaries of all kinds (gg didn't provide evidence for other targets), i mean that's what spying agencies do. so in that case greenwald is aiding those adversaries by providing them detailed information about the programs and thus wasting american taxpayers' money.

so in that case greenwald is aiding those adversaries by providing them detailed information about the programs and thus wasting american taxpayers' money.

so without the clarification of who these programs are targeting, you automatically default to that position rather than assuming they have a broader context and are being used going above and beyond the 4th amendment on domestic sources? It's interesting that you accuse so many of us of having paranoid biases, but right here you've put out in the open where your biases are, that you are much more likely to believe that Glenn is hurting national security/wasting US tax payer money VS shedding light on a program that we know with evidence is already being abused in multiple ways. Don't you see how bizarre that is?

if this reporting hurts the NSA's tax-based funding, good. i have yet to see substantial evidence of the efficiency of their activities in protecting me or any other US citizen, so i'd very much like to see their activities declassified, and if shown to be overbearing or inefficient, defunded.

Archived