peace 7

Yes, we must keep telling ourselves that we are not untalented, it's just that we are bludgers. heeh.

it's the truth - lot's of talented ppl on watmm

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jasondonervan

I Googled "IDM Man" in image search mode and this came up as one of the results:

lyonslittlesuit1.jpg

I'll need to get him potato-shopped inside a massive cave.

The IDM Man is very much real...

Peace 7 knows what he is talking about because he was in the only known picture ever taken of The IDM Man.

1vocpea.png

This happened right when peace 7 was just chilling at his bars and daydreaming about µ-Ziq's In Pine Effect cover artwork. That's when He is most likely to strike.

Notice how a bit of peace 7's arm goes on the other side of the bar and how his hand has turned caucasian. Such are the effects on the fabric of time-space-race that The IDM Man has.

Guest Gravity

Notice how a bit of peace7's arm goes on the other side of the bar and how his hand has turned caucasian. Such are the effects on the fabric of time-space-race that The IDM Man has.

lol

Guest jasondonervan

Peace 7 knows what he is talking about because he was in the only known picture ever taken of The IDM Man.

1vocpea.png

This happened right when peace 7 was just chilling at his bars and daydreaming about µ-Ziq's In Pine Effect cover artwork. That's when He is most likely to strike.

Notice how a bit of peace 7's arm goes on the other side of the bar and how his hand has turned caucasian. Such are the effects on the fabric of time-space-race that The IDM Man has.

I Googled "IDM Man" in image search mode and this came up as one of the results:

lyonslittlesuit1.jpg

1vocpea.png

Ahaha... But I thought the same thing.... "It's..... it's him." He is laughing cuz your choonz are making his peepee feel good.

p.s. I'm wearing that same jacket RIGHT NOW, wtf, and that pic was taken like 4 years ago. IDM Man's powers.....

The only way to win, is to not play the game. But if you know of the game, you're good enough to already be deeep in the game, so there is no fucking way out.

Well, there seems to be 2 solutions:

1) fucking die

2) Become so IDM, that you become the ultimate vessel of underground lazer vibez. From the inside, you can change the IDM System. Though it's a bit like becoming Hitler so you can rid the world of evil, but sometimes, the ultimate sacrifice is necessary. Might as well go all-in at this point.

But seriously, it's fucked up how a lot of us are extremely competent composers, making like $5/10-years on music. Even if I got a blowjob right now from some fan-gurl...- unless the blowjob consists of buying me a new Mac Pro with Logic pre-installed and a new audio interface with Dynaudio monitors and Sennhesier headphones, it's really a waste of my time. I ironically sold my whole fucking studio so I could support my IDM lifestyle, and now I am making music with a mic only. This, is IDM Life. I have a whole blues album in my head based on the struggles that IDM Man causes, and I dunno why nobody's released such music yet. Everyone is trying to make phuture beatz or whatever, but the thing that most underground artists can relate to, is not being signed- ever- and putting so much energy into music. That, is straight up blues.

The true IDM underground is like the great depression; everyone twanging away on a 3 string guitar with a rusty spoon. Fuckin' balls hanging out and shit cuz the jeans are worn from sitting in the computer chair so long, EQ'ing a snare/clap combo for like 5 months straight.

realistically speaking, who cares about getting sign to a label? as long as you have a realistic mindset, do what you like, in this case, IDM man makes you like to make music. Peace 7 makes it sounds like IDM man makes you want to get sign to a big label so you make more money out of making music.

Fun read tho, cheers.

Aha'.... Ahahaha.... Yah, nice images, yo.

As for "IDM" being real- I use the term to mean "jazz" or like, "Sincere Consciousness Expression". Elite shit. Next-level shit. PHUTURE. Early jazz musicians didn't care about signing to labels prolly, but they were living the dream by actually playing out and jamming and smoking up in crowds and shit-- totally revolutionizing sonic perception and cutting out the middle man. But now there is too much saturation of sonics from interwebz; as well as unfortunate low attention span due to culture and possibly excessive masturbation in all forms.

The current incarnation of the IDM underground is changing to a new version, but it's still very much filled with the idea of getting signed; sweet smell of paradise still lingering from when IDM Man came in full-force in the mid to late 90's.

Do any of you old schoolers remember sending in physical demos? And writing letters by hand? And writing long-winded track descriptions? And you'd use that shitty color printer and crappy Photoshop skills to make the best album cover that you could. THAT WORLD, has the ideal vibe, and that is, making a *connection* with a label that you respect. Nowadays you can just go on Mike P's facebook wall and post a pic of your dick, but there was a time when labels had a mystique and magic to them-- a vibe that they truly were the purveyors of fine music and getting feedback or getting signed was not about monetary success-- it was about IDM street cred and smoking spliffs with an underground clique that was just as cool as you were (cuz the majority of your "peers" in your generation were ballz and just wanted to work at a bank or McDonald's (and now have kids and are boring)).

There was a period of a few years that I was exchanging e-mails and demos with Ned Beckett (Warp), and despite not getting signed to Warp, that shit was NUTZ!!!!! It took about 4 years of making music until getting contacted by Warp, and when that e-mail came to my now defunct Excite inbox.... IT WAS FUCKING INCREDIBLE. To see that subject line like "your demo", and reading it was from Warp, and reading that they dug my shit and wanted more-- JUST TO FEEL SOOO CLOSE, it was seriously the best feeling ever. Here I am 10+ years later, and it really didn't matter that they didn't release my choonage. What was more badass than anything, is the feeling that they actually would. It's like dreaming of getting a blowjob in middle school but then just getting several thousand as an adult-- there is nothing like the dream.

And with dreams, come grand dreams. In imagination, why the fuck would you limit yourself? Especially heartfelt composers- if their music is so grand, there is no way their dreams are conservative. And this is all due to IDM Man's power, but it is not necessarily a bad thing. What's bad is the existential crisis that comes from getting caught up in having to push one's limits so far, just for the sake of doing so. Overall, I believe IDM Man can provide great positive vibez, for those who are able to get their head outta the IDM waters for a bit for fresh air and realize: "I'm living LIFE. Not getting signed does not make me a failure, and believing the dream and forever wanting to get signed does not make me a loser. The fact that I have tried so hard for so long-- that, makes me a human champion. If others could work as hard as I have towards their idealistic positive goals, this world would be a better place. ...I was always searching for signage acceptance, but it turns out, I was the essence of IDM all along." And that, is the truest power of IDM Man.

Godspeed.

Guest jasondonervan

peace, can you just write a book, please? It could be like the IDM equivalent of 'The Manual' (KLF), written from a historical perspective of the IDM times.

Consider this my pledge to buy it.

What's bad is the existential crisis that comes from getting caught up in having to push one's limits so far, just for the sake of doing so.

Who's the slave master? IDM Man or you? And can a slave become a master?

What's bad is the existential crisis that comes from getting caught up in having to push one's limits so far, just for the sake of doing so.

Who's the slave master? IDM Man or you? And can a slave become a master?

Yah- totally relevant question. When one becomes a master of Self, one becomes the ultimate slave to highest intentions of Self. ...Ironic that becoming the slave to Will is the true freedom in all this. FREEDOM IN LIFE, even.

With regards to IDM Man, though... One can leave the game, but is there really a better path for a heartfelt electronic musician than the one laid out by IDM Man? I almost forgot about it, but one point I realized when in high school was that the underground was the sincerest path to the overground of music. "Extreme case" scenario: for example, Venetian Snares got overground exposure by composing whatever the fuck he wanted, then stuff trickled out. Had he tried to get pop society exposure by purely going that route with his sounds, everybody would've been like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS.

So I guess..... Just *keep it real*, and everything will come.

iX4w9j2JzU5Tw.jpg

lc9GudW.jpg

This is so beautiful.

Aha'.... Ahahaha.... Yah, nice images, yo.

As for "IDM" being real- I use the term to mean "jazz" or like, "Sincere Consciousness Expression". Elite shit. Next-level shit. PHUTURE. Early jazz musicians didn't care about signing to labels prolly, but they were living the dream by actually playing out and jamming and smoking up in crowds and shit-- totally revolutionizing sonic perception and cutting out the middle man. But now there is too much saturation of sonics from interwebz; as well as unfortunate low attention span due to culture and possibly excessive masturbation in all forms.

The current incarnation of the IDM underground is changing to a new version, but it's still very much filled with the idea of getting signed; sweet smell of paradise still lingering from when IDM Man came in full-force in the mid to late 90's.

Do any of you old schoolers remember sending in physical demos? And writing letters by hand? And writing long-winded track descriptions? And you'd use that shitty color printer and crappy Photoshop skills to make the best album cover that you could. THAT WORLD, has the ideal vibe, and that is, making a *connection* with a label that you respect. Nowadays you can just go on Mike P's facebook wall and post a pic of your dick, but there was a time when labels had a mystique and magic to them-- a vibe that they truly were the purveyors of fine music and getting feedback or getting signed was not about monetary success-- it was about IDM street cred and smoking spliffs with an underground clique that was just as cool as you were (cuz the majority of your "peers" in your generation were ballz and just wanted to work at a bank or McDonald's (and now have kids and are boring)).

There was a period of a few years that I was exchanging e-mails and demos with Ned Beckett (Warp), and despite not getting signed to Warp, that shit was NUTZ!!!!! It took about 4 years of making music until getting contacted by Warp, and when that e-mail came to my now defunct Excite inbox.... IT WAS FUCKING INCREDIBLE. To see that subject line like "your demo", and reading it was from Warp, and reading that they dug my shit and wanted more-- JUST TO FEEL SOOO CLOSE, it was seriously the best feeling ever. Here I am 10+ years later, and it really didn't matter that they didn't release my choonage. What was more badass than anything, is the feeling that they actually would. It's like dreaming of getting a blowjob in middle school but then just getting several thousand as an adult-- there is nothing like the dream.

And with dreams, come grand dreams. In imagination, why the fuck would you limit yourself? Especially heartfelt composers- if their music is so grand, there is no way their dreams are conservative. And this is all due to IDM Man's power, but it is not necessarily a bad thing. What's bad is the existential crisis that comes from getting caught up in having to push one's limits so far, just for the sake of doing so. Overall, I believe IDM Man can provide great positive vibez, for those who are able to get their head outta the IDM waters for a bit for fresh air and realize: "I'm living LIFE. Not getting signed does not make me a failure, and believing the dream and forever wanting to get signed does not make me a loser. The fact that I have tried so hard for so long-- that, makes me a human champion. If others could work as hard as I have towards their idealistic positive goals, this world would be a better place. ...I was always searching for signage acceptance, but it turns out, I was the essence of IDM all along." And that, is the truest power of IDM Man.

Godspeed.

I listened to your stuff last night. It's quite good.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pafr

First thing to do to stop the IDM man's influence is to get off WATMM. Life isn't just about IDM music.

Take thine own advice good sir.

You know, IDM Man surely has captured the spirit of many a youth, but he's got nothing on Guitar Man. That guy has wasted trillions of collective man-hours over wankery IDM man can only dream of.

You know, IDM Man surely has captured the spirit of many a youth, but he's got nothing on Guitar Man. That guy has wasted trillions of collective man-hours over wankery IDM man can only dream of.

wait is this one of those things where if you smoke enough pot IDM Man & Guitar Man merge into one being who vaguely resembles yer dad

but yeah, having broke bread in guitar player communities, I gotta say the trax are (on average) more enticing to me on electronic producer forums. And Guitar mans don't know how to use the internet half the time so they still post their stuff on myspace

Archived