IGNORED

Have you ever walked out on a movie and asked for a refund?

producer snafu

It is not a "dick move" to request a refund for a ticket to a movie that turned out to be "less than expected".

Lots of dumb consumers in this thread. Clearly you're all used to being hoodwinked.

Nope, I just don't have a sense of entitlement like most people.

For the record, I've never seen a movie at the theater that I didn't like. Because I know what I'm going to see going into it.

absolute bollocks,

you don't go into a brand new screening of a brand new film, knowing everything about the film. that would require you to have seen the film before you've seen it.

stop talking bollocks.

Edit: I didn't make myself clear. Obviously I don't know everything about the film before seeing it.

But you should know enough that there is a reasonable chance you will enjoy it. IE genre of the film, possibly actors/actresses, maybe the producer or director, and public opinion of the film (if you've heard tons of people say it's shit, it's probably shit).

And the risk should be on the consumer for movies. Life isn't a free ride where you just get to sample everything and then get your money back.

So you thought you'd like the movie, and you didn't. Shitty buzz, you won't see the next movie with that producer/director/actor or whatever. Why should the theater lose revenue because the consumer made a poor choice? Next time I go to the shooting range, paintballing, go-karting, golf or whatever I should just ask for my money back because the "experience" just isn't what I wanted. lol

I have no idea how you can think this is unreasonable.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not a "dick move" to request a refund for a ticket to a movie that turned out to be "less than expected".

Lots of dumb consumers in this thread. Clearly you're all used to being hoodwinked.

For the record, I've never seen a movie at the theater that I didn't like. Because I know what I'm going to see going into it.

absolute bollocks,

you don't go into a brand new screening of a brand new film, knowing everything about the film. that would require you to have seen the film before you've seen it.

stop talking bollocks.

Edit: I didn't make myself clear. Obviously I don't know everything about the film before seeing it.

But you should know enough that there is a reasonable chance you will enjoy it. IE genre of the film, possibly actors/actresses, maybe the producer or director, and public opinion of the film (if you've heard tons of people say it's shit, it's probably shit).

And the risk should be on the consumer for movies. Life isn't a free ride where you just get to sample everything and then get your money back.

So you thought you'd like the movie, and you didn't. Shitty buzz, you won't see the next movie with that producer/director/actor or whatever. Why should the theater lose revenue because the consumer made a poor choice? Next time I go to the shooting range, paintballing, go-karting, golf or whatever I should just ask for my money back because the "experience" just isn't what I wanted. lol

if I've seen the trailer for a film, been excited for the film, only to find 15-30 mins into the film that it is a disappointing mess, especially if the trailer was misleading (and this is important here), I am going to ask for my money back.

the attitude you have is akin to blindly accepting what is given to you, and not to challenge anything. you've paid to watch a film that has been falsely advertised, and turns out to be shitty. and you just sit there and take it up the arse.

similar case - Aliens: Colonial Marines. was hyped up to fuck, had very impressive E3 footage. however the game was a complete fucking turd. are you telling me that all those people who pre-ordered the game are not entitled to ask for a refund from the retailer they bought the game from, even though the retailer didn't create the game?

fuck off.

absolute bollocks,

stop talking bollocks.

if I've seen the trailer for a film, been excited for the film, only to find 15-30 mins into the film that it is a disappointing mess, especially if the trailer was misleading (and this is important here), I am going to ask for my money back.

the attitude you have is akin to blindly accepting what is given to you, and not to challenge anything. you've paid to watch a film that has been falsely advertised, and turns out to be shitty. and you just sit there and take it up the arse.

similar case - Aliens: Colonial Marines. was hyped up to fuck, had very impressive E3 footage. however the game was a complete fucking turd. are you telling me that all those people who pre-ordered the game are not entitled to ask for a refund from the retailer they bought the game from, even though the retailer didn't create the game?

fuck off.

lol nice try

why the hell would you ever buy a game based on a movie? There has never, ever existed a good game based on a movie/tv show/series.

Completely 100% your fault that you didn't wait for reviews online, etc. You could have easily not bought into the hype and made an educated purchase after the game was out.

absolute bollocks,

stop talking bollocks.

fuck off.

lol nice try

why the hell would you ever buy a game based on a movie? There has never, ever existed a good game based on a movie/tv show/series.

Completely 100% your fault that you didn't wait for reviews online, etc. You could have easily not bought into the hype and made an educated purchase after the game was out.

everyone in this thread who thinks it's a dick move to request a refund for something that you're not happy with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTxLkj-6Esg

I never said buy more.

I said buy smart.

Don't be an ignorant consumer and just blindly purchase and then ask for your money back lol.

we have to agree to disagree.

there is nothing wrong with asking for money back after you've paid money for something that has not lived up to the expectation set by the advertising. if you think it's acceptable to be ripped off, good luck to you in your life.

Do people actually believe advertising to be honest? Are there people that stupid?

I think that might be where we are disconnecting.

But yeah agree to disagree.

what??? im sorry but your argument is insane, you are the victim of marketing, if a fucking trailer gets you soo excited for a video game (and spend 60 dollars) then you are playing their game

you are being ripped off because time and time again you fall for marketing techniques

fool me one shame on you ....

Do people actually believe advertising to be honest? Are there people that stupid?

But yeah agree to disagree.

are people that stupid to pay for entertainment, and then not be entertained, and just go "oh well, I just threw away £10 there! who's next to rip me off"

what??? im sorry but your argument is insane, you are the victim of marketing, if a fucking trailer gets you soo excited for a video game (and spend 60 dollars) then you are playing their game

you are being ripped off because time and time again you fall for marketing techniques

I never pre-ordered the game. did you not realise that was an example of a similar situation?

my argument is not insane, the people who accept being ripped off are insane.

hey guys I'm going to be returning CAT023 later when it doesn't meet my expectations.

I mean I know it's aphex but what if it's not the aphex I like?

I should definitely be able to return it.

lol says the guy that bought the AVP game.

:facepalm:

I never pre-ordered the game. why do you think I did?

edit: also way to go with details...it's not AvP I was talking about...but hey ho

I only skimmed your post, sorry lol it looked like you had bought it.

Go to a baseball game and ask for your money back when your team starts losing because it's not entertaining enough lol.

no it didn't look like I bought it at all. you just didn't read my post properly. lol.

I never pre-ordered the game. did you not realise that was an example of a similar situation?

my argument is not insane, the people who accept being ripped off are insane.

maybe but i dont consider 10 pounds a rip off (not enough money to confront a poor cinema worker who is just trying to get tru life)

im not a consumerist tho so maybe you are spending 10 pounds every two days going to the cinema to watch shitty movies hollywood shits every week

Go to a baseball game and ask for your money back when your team starts losing because it's not entertaining enough lol.

that's completely different.

clearly this thread has gone to straw man arguments.

well done.

live your life

that's completely different.

clearly this thread has gone to straw man arguments.

well done.

live your life

How is that straw man anything? I'm not mis-representing the original argument in any way.

How is paying to see a movie different than an athletic event? You're claiming that you should be able to get your money back from an entertainment event if it just happens to not be entertaining to you.

Both are heavily marketed, and both you sit in a little seat to be entertained. Why can you get your money back from a movie and not a sporting event?

The fundamentals are the same. You've paid. For a ticket. To a place where people gather. To watch something entertaining.

The argument stands. You shouldn't be able to get a refund on your price if you're not entertained because you didn't even know what baseball was (uneducated on the type of entertainment).

Maybe in Australia that is common practice delet.

But in other countries we don't sample everything and expect it to be to our taste before returning it because it's not.

Consumer responsibility, is what it's called.

WTF? Corporate responsibility also exists. It is fairly common practice for consumable goods and services to be refunded. Movies are no exception.

For example:

http://www.landmarkcinemas.com/edson/about-us (scroll to their refund policy)

http://www.cineplex.com/Global/FeedbackZone (scroll to refund policy)

For other events such as concerts, sporting events etc. let's look at ticketmaster:

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/h/returns.html

Personally, I've never walked out on a movie, though I have gotten more selective in what I'm going to watch in the theater as tickets are not cheap anymore (anyone else remember $2.50 Tuesdays?). I certainly don't begrudge anyone the option to return things within a reasonable period, as long as there are no hygiene issues (used underwear - no returns!).

Archived