IGNORED

Drum machine advice...

TRiP

Greetings all,

Hopefully soon to be in the market for upgrading from my humble Roland MC-505 to a new more tweekable fat ole' machine of drums.

No exact price range as i'll most likely be going halves with my fellow band member - but I can't imagine we'll go higher that €600(not each!). Preferably something analog to go along with the rest of our gear set-up, but don't mind too much as long as its a beast....and as i mentioned, would need to be knob-tweek-a-plenty as we'd be wanting to use it for live set ups

The LXR Drum Synthesizer looks quite cool, although it seems like it might be more of a stepping stone intermittent machine than one we'll keep on using...but prove me wrong?

What are peoples thoughts on The Elektron Drummachine SPS1 MKI? Seems its in our price range, but is there a huge difference with the MKII or the UW models? Would we be missing out on them or is it basically the same?

Obviously the new Rytm is pretty much exactly what we'd want, but the price doesn't seem to want to let us.

Any suggestions?

606 can be heavily modded as far as I know, even though I have no clue how much it'd cost ?

If you want something with a vintage vibe, you might be interested in Acid Lab offering too.

Keep saving and get the Rytm, if that's pretty much exactly what you want.

As much as I'd love to, we're also going to be in the market for upgrading our lead synth soon, and putting money into mixing costs etc. so it would be a hard case to sell the need to put that much into it...buuut who knows! it does indeed look like a beastly machine

What type of music are you making?

Machinedrum uw is really cool, but it's not really suited towards that "vintage" drum machine sound.

I use a machinedrum and mfb522 combo, and it gives me pretty good versatility.

What type of music are you making?

Machinedrum uw is really cool, but it's not really suited towards that "vintage" drum machine sound.

I use a machinedrum and mfb522 combo, and it gives me pretty good versatility.

That's the golden question, hard to place a genre, i guess just 'electronic music' - we're just finishing an EP of older material that was more 808/909'e and made with minimal gear - and one of the things we always felt that was lacking was the drums, so would be nice to upgrade to something that'll bring something to the table and let it be an instrument in itself

https://soundcloud.com/polyglove/polyglove-cynthia-mastered

https://soundcloud.com/polyglove/bento-box-revisited-demo

https://soundcloud.com/polyglove/cruzer-demo

How do you mean it's not geared towards the vintage sound?

Machinedrum is great...

dunno about the mk1 units, might get problematic to get replacement parts if it fails at some point, other than that it is a killer drum synth...

but if you can somehow save up for a Rytm I'd try... the sound engine sounds amazing and the thing is very playable... much simpler to use than the MD.. a worthy successor.

If you want old roland sounds and are handy with a solder gun you could get a Yocto 808 kit and a 9090 kit for around your budget. But you'd likely have to hang out on a wait list for a few months.

MD mki is fine. The only downsides are 32 steps instead of 64, less memory than the +drive, and no sampling (I don't use samples anyways). I got mine for $600 used three years back... I'm sure you could find a similar deal.

I also just got a nord drum 2 which I love, but does not have a sequencer, so that could be a deal breaker for you.

hoo-ray, thanks for all the suggestions

definitely think i'm leaning towards the Machinedrum now, and would like to bag a UW if possible...what sort of price should I be expecting in these times? I saw two ending on ebay soon for $770/800 (not buy it now)

the UW is very much worth it... opens the MD up for interesting resample trickery... for the UW version the +drive makes a lot of sense too.. hunt for the MK2+ variant, and make sure the TM-1 interface is included, imo... the TM-1 is a faster MIDI interface, good for sample transfer. the +drive is not essential, but gives you much more space for samples.. even the MK2+ should have dropped in price significantly now.

Yeah go for the UW. I bought a non uw last year thinking it would be enough since I already have an octatrack. But I soon felt that I wanted to incorporate sampled sounds into the MD. Just bought a uw (not drive) for 500 euros to still my needs haha.

Archived