IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

How is anything making sounds in space ?

How did the Empire manage to leave such fatal flaws on their TWO Death Stars ?

Why aren't the Jedi even noticing Palpatine in the prequels ?

How does Padme fall "truly, deeply" in love with Anakin when he's acting like a whiny brat all the time ?

blah blah blah etc

1. Because space scenes without any sound would be boring to watch
  2. Anything can have a weak spot, and considering the size of each Death Star, having a small thermal exhaust port only 2 meters in diameter is hardly a "fatal flaw" - just smug thinking on the Empire's part I guess. That, and because plot.
  3. Palpatine hid his Force sensitivity/true nature from them?
  4. Sorry, not gonna even try this one - just bad acting and writing. Then again, look at those loonies that fall in love with serial killers and murderers in prisons...

I was only pointing out the vanity of looking for such "incoherences" in a Star Wars movie though, but I guess your explanations work

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopping a film midway through to complain in bullet points on a message board is a strong contender for most IDM 2016.

I fully support this kind of behaviour, watching something in cam rip or screener quality, not so much.

Stopping a film midway through to complain in bullet points on a message board is a strong contender for most IDM 2016.

I fully support this kind of behaviour, watching something in cam rip or screener quality, not so much.

You would blud, most anime is only twenty minutes long anyway.

chalk it up to government contracting and defence spending boondoggles, although the costings for a Death Star should be already known, so not much room for inflated pricing, just think how many nanotech viruses and automated planet invasion forces they could have knocked out for the same dosh, they could have even bribed the enemy leaders of several thousand planets to come to their side. So schtupid.

So are most movies for me, given the skimming going on. heheh.

You don't know much about government contracting and defence spending boondoggles are the order of the day, just think how many nano viruses and automated planet invasion forces they could have knocked out for the same dosh, they could have even bribed the enemy leaders of several thousand planets to come to their side. So schtupid.

So are most movies for me, given the skimming going on. heheh.

zazen i'll never forgive you for complaining about having the word "dump" in the afx dump soundcloud thread title, that was lame

haha

fyi I went to the trouble of tracking down the Limited Edition DVDs that had the original un-fucked-about-with theatrical versions on, ripped them to disc last year and then never got round to watching them.

Had to stop the film after 45 mins because parenting.

While we're poking holes in Star Wars here's another couple of things that have been bothering me:

- The star wars approach to AI is very 1970s (because thats when the lore was made up, obviously).

- E.g. why make a droid that has enough language skills to understand spoken english but can only bleep and bloop. Maybe in the 70s they imagined that synthetic speech was difficult? Or more likely Lucas just wanted a comedy duo and R2D2/3PO fit the bill

- Why should an intelligent droid like 3PO be a possesion or a tool? In a modern Sci-Fi film this whole angle of the robots rights and self would be explored. In the Star Wars universe 3PO is just a camp comedy butler.

- Also the Star Wars approach to War is very 1970s

- 1970s: War Films have exciting action sequences and heroes and swashbuckling and villains

- 2015: War Films have exciting action sequences and psychological drama about the horror of war and its effect on all people that it touches (American Sniper, Hurt Locker, etc etc )

Anyway yes I'm overthinking it obviously. Its a fun series of action films about space wizards.

Guest bitroast

You sound like an awful person to watch a movie with lol

heh.

had a friend rewatch episodes 1-2-3-4-5-6 in preparation for watching 7 at the cinemas.

during which, he was being in contact and going thru all the stupid plot points and plot holes and inconsistencies.

with episode 4 the plothole discussion continued but slowly waned away.

i definitely think, with the prequel trilogy the movies are so focused on plot and talking and explaining the politics and bla bla bla bla. wooden characters, etc.

focusing on the plot inconsistencies is fun.

once you get the the original trilogy, the films are more focused on the fun elements and the characters and the plot is pretty basic. ( there are bad guys. there are bad guys. good guys fight the bad guys. ) so the plot hole discussion gets kind of trivial.

when i think back to the prequel trilogy and what there is to take away from it, the biggest thing i can think of is the politics and drip feed method of how palpatine came into power and how his actions influenced everything around him. it's super convoluted and key plot point specific story telling.

zazen i'll never forgive you for complaining about having the word "dump" in the afx dump soundcloud thread title, that was lame

haha

fyi I went to the trouble of tracking down the Limited Edition DVDs that had the original un-fucked-about-with theatrical versions on, ripped them to disc last year and then never got round to watching them.

While we're poking holes in Star Wars here's another couple of things that have been bothering me:

- The star wars approach to AI is very 1970s (because thats when the lore was made up, obviously).

- E.g. why make a droid that has enough language skills to understand spoken english but can only bleep and bloop. Maybe in the 70s they imagined that synthetic speech was difficult? Or more likely Lucas just wanted a comedy duo and R2D2/3PO fit the bill

- Why should an intelligent droid like 3PO be a possesion or a tool? In a modern Sci-Fi film this whole angle of the robots rights and self would be explored. In the Star Wars universe 3PO is just a camp comedy butler.

- 1970s: War Films have exciting action sequences and heroes and swashbuckling and villains

- 2015: War Films have exciting action sequences and psychological drama about the horror of war and its effect on all people that it touches (American Sniper, Hurt Locker, etc etc )

Anyway yes I'm overthinking it obviously. Its a fun series of action films about space wizards.

ahh I thought you were talking about the new one.

haha

You need to watch Johnny Got His Gun (1971). Grim as fuck.

And Apocalypse Now is from the 70s I realised after writing that. Maybe I should have said 50s which is the era that Lucas drew inspiration from.

Guest bitroast

And Apocalypse Now is from the 70s I realised after writing that. Maybe I should have said 50s which is the era that Lucas drew inspiration from.

watched The Hidden Fortress from 1958 last night and ... star wars draws so much from it in tone and characters and story (except c3po and r2d2 never drew shortest straws to see who can get to rape princess leia in her sleep ... ) : >

star wars trilogy group have restored original film using original 35mm transfer. page only went up earlier today and was already crashing due to traffic.

http://thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/post/2016/01/15/Team-Negative-One-completes-35mm-Restoration-of-Star-Wars

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwsda6LhKc4gTUIg8u5bLGw/videos

http://imgur.com/a/nadJ3

Guest bitroast

that looks ... pretty ... SICK. (*ahem* for a kids show)

i may give Clone Wars another crack. give me something to watch during quieter moments at work. not bad enough to dismiss entirely, not good enough to warrant full attention :)

Not only that, Lucas is name-checked in the movie

Star-Wars-Easter-Egg-Apocalypse-Now-Luca

Lucas returned to 50s and earlier era hero storyline stuff but he had a dark side as well, THX 1138 is still a very dark and horrifying dystopian film, even by today's standards (perhaps more so since so many hollywood 'dsytopian' movies still have hilariously ironic product placement and actors with make-up touch-ups)

I have to disagree with you about the war movie argument. I'm not buying it. Truly anti-war films have not been in vogue for years now. Sniper was still drenched in a lot of Iraq War Invasion apologizing. Hurt Locker was good but it held off on any war criticism (which is fair) but besides Green Zone and Jarhead I can't think of major blockbuster films with strong anti-war themes. HBO's Generation Kill is excellent but that's a miniseries.The 60s and 70s were ripe with anti-war films - albeit some absurd or dark comedies - but the sentiment was there and expressed. I can't imagine a Iraq War / War on Terror era blockbuster with the same tone as Deer Hunter or Full Metal Jacket being released now, at least without some shitstorm in the media.

Not only that, Lucas is name-checked in the movie

Star-Wars-Easter-Egg-Apocalypse-Now-Luca

Lucas returned to 50s and earlier era hero storyline stuff but he had a dark side as well, THX 1138 is still a very dark and horrifying dystopian film, even by today's standards (perhaps more so since so many hollywood 'dsytopian' movies still have hilariously ironic product placement and actors with make-up touch-ups)

I have to disagree with you about the war movie argument. I'm not buying it. Truly anti-war films have not been in vogue for years now. Sniper was still drenched in a lot of Iraq War Invasion apologizing. Hurt Locker was good but it held off on any war criticism (which is fair) but besides Green Zone and Jarhead I can't think of major blockbuster films with strong anti-war themes. HBO's Generation Kill is excellent but that's a miniseries.The 60s and 70s were ripe with anti-war films - albeit some absurd or dark comedies - but the sentiment was there and expressed. I can't imagine a Iraq War / War on Terror era blockbuster with the same tone as Deer Hunter or Full Metal Jacket being released now, at least without some shitstorm in the media.

We are not allowed to philosophically explore something that is ongoing and that we haven't won, and as film is a great communicator to those of the many that don't take on board deep detours in thinking by reason alone, those masses additionally requiring the emotional resonance that can only come from a personal level of direct empathetic experience, for which a film is a good substitute. Therefore there shall be no real anti enduring war on terror films that get to the heart of the matter, ties it all together in a character we have followed for some hour or so giving a short, pithy speech to a comrade at the corruption and utter ruthless immorality of it all, the hammer fall in people's minds at the impact of something like that is what is being avoided at all costs. Instead we're led to an abasement of our better nature by demonisation or more accurately dehumanisation of the 'enemy', and obfuscation of the true nature of the situation by pushing the idea that it's complicated, intractable, nothing worth our time investigating as it can never be resolved. Both of those lines placate the two major types of thinkers adequately enough.

I didn't really mean anti-war films as such, I meant the modern portrayal of War in films which is that even if the war is justified, it still comes at great cost to everyone involved. Episode IV ended with medals and winking princesses, ROTJ ended with a barbecue in the woods. The War in Star Wars is War as imagined by a 12 year old. I suppose thats why the movies work.

I guess I'm saying that war-as-adventure was an easier sell in the 70s. It's not so easy to sell now. e.g. the war in Hunger Games is a lot grittier and more cynical than Star Wars, because our conception of what war is like has moved on a lot since the 70s.

Archived