IGNORED

"Gone Girl" (Fincher, October 2014)

apriorion

General consensus is that it's good then? Thinking of taking the wife there to see it.

Haha it'll be a good husband/wife movie to see...

Hell yeah: perfect husband/wife date night film. Let us know what you think when you see it, StephenG!

The soundtrack is indeed really great. Reznor's soundtracks have lately been his strongest work.

Yeah, I've insisted on this point for years now. Actually, I distinctly recall hearing "The Downward Spiral" (after seeing "Closer" on MTV, when it used to be worthwhile to watch), and I thought "The sound and aesthetic and even the visuals are excellent--it's too bad about the lyrics, though." As it turns out, "Further Down the Spiral" was my gateway to Warp music (Aphex, in particular, obviously) because it was like, "Finally! Someone gets it: don't ruin the sweet tunes with cheesy lyrics and singing! Gotta find more stuff by this "The Aphex Twin!" I thought that Reznor finally figured it out with "Ghosts", which I guess was his first step down the path toward these soundtracks. Anyway, keep 'em coming: this soundtrack work is everything that's great about his art without the high-school English Composition Notebook-style poetry.

General consensus is that it's good then? Thinking of taking the wife there to see it.

Haha it'll be a good husband/wife movie to see...

Hell yeah: perfect husband/wife date night film. Let us know what you think when you see it, StephenG!

We both have identical taste in music and movies so it should be alright.....

Though I get the feeling I'm missing something haha

what I like is how simple and effective Fincher's direction was... There's no typical camera movement or tricks or CGI flowing shots like he usually likes doing. Not one single shot is like that for 150 minutes. It's all about the couples subversion, there's no need for that flashy stuff, just precise and cold meticulous direction.

The soundtrack is indeed really great. Reznor's soundtracks have lately been his strongest work.

Yeah, I've insisted on this point for years now. Actually, I distinctly recall hearing "The Downward Spiral" (after seeing "Closer" on MTV, when it used to be worthwhile to watch), and I thought "The sound and aesthetic and even the visuals are excellent--it's too bad about the lyrics, though." As it turns out, "Further Down the Spiral" was my gateway to Warp music (Aphex, in particular, obviously) because it was like, "Finally! Someone gets it: don't ruin the sweet tunes with cheesy lyrics and singing! Gotta find more stuff by this "The Aphex Twin!" I thought that Reznor finally figured it out with "Ghosts", which I guess was his first step down the path toward these soundtracks. Anyway, keep 'em coming: this soundtrack work is everything that's great about his art without the high-school English Composition Notebook-style poetry.

TDS is a flawless album. They lyrics are emo as all get-out, but they are melodramatic in exactly the right way for that album.

In fact, I still stand by the first 4-5 NiN albums, lyrics and all. I mean, what sorta lyrics you do think would make sense for that music? Or maybe you just don't like lyrics at all...?

I'm sure whether I liked it or not?

I thought the build-up was super weird.

Why didn't they postpose Amy's story until she had gotten home again? That way I would probably have been a bit more surprised by what she had done.

Also, why did she do it? What the hell was her motivation? And don't tell me it was because the "Amazing Amy" books had made her crazy.

I'm sure whether I liked it or not?

I thought the build-up was super weird.

Why didn't they postpose Amy's story until she had gotten home again? That way I would probably have been a bit more surprised by what she had done.

Also, why did she do it? What the hell was her motivation? And don't tell me it was because the "Amazing Amy" books had made her crazy.

i think a much weaker movie would have held the "surprise" until the end, like some m knight shamalamadingdong. the fact the "big twist" happened in the middle was quite brilliant imo and totally subverted my expectations. when it was first revealed that she was alive I was actually disappointed, thinking the film would soon draw to a close. the fact that we then went deeper into the story after that turning point was quite lush imo. it went from "oh man that's it? she just set him up?" to "oh fuck, we're just getting started here."

as for motivation, I keep hearing this criticism from people I know and I completely do not relate. imo by avoiding emphasis on motivation the film avoided banality and was able to work better as a black comedy. if they just made her character some rational operator who did what she did for some clear motive it would have just been a long law&order episode. I quite like the fact that her character seemed to operate on this level, almost like she was a raw force rather than some scorned woman who wasn't loved as a child or whatever.

Archived