IGNORED

"Gone Girl" (Fincher, October 2014)

apriorion

Just saw "Gone Girl" yesterday, and I think it's well worth your time. Excellent soundtrack by Reznor and Ross, yet again. Great pacing, great acting. The only thing that sucks about it is the title. God, I hate that title. But anyway, did anyone else see this?

I noticed that there was a thread dedicated to "Interstellar", and there have been threads devoted to upcoming or recently released, high-profile films before. I did a search, and didn't see a thread devoted to this film. I looked at the "Films recenlty watched..." thread after your post, and I saw a couple of people joking off-hand about the film's having Ben Affleck. All of these reasons suggest to me that it might be appropriate for there to be a new thread.

Anyway, I actually think that Ben Affleck is appropriately suited to this role. I've read some criticism that argued that his latent arrogance and ability to get people to like him one minute and hate him the next works really well for this film. They're right.

But I'll sue Ben Affleck. Do I even need a reason?

Guest murphythecat8

yep, saw this yesterday.

amazing movie, so smart, so much unexpected turns.

I personally like ben affleck very much.

Yeah, as enjoyably complicated as the film is, I have a couple reservations. Major spoiler, so don't read this if you haven't seen it yet or read the book. And if you're on the fence about going to see this one, please take my advice: go see it!

The main issue I have is with Ben Affleck's character at the end. His decision to stay with the wifey seemed really thin to me. Oh, now she's pregnant with your child? Well, that is weak. I mean, she slashed a guy's throat for christ's sake. I could not stay in the same house with her, for sure. No question. Also, at the end, he makes some remark about how all they do is try to control each other, and she says "That's marriage!". Hmm. Well, by the time we've reached this part of the plot, the husband is *owned* by the wife: it is certainly an asymmetrical power dynamic. He's deluding himself if he's not aware that he's her puppet by now.

The threads for high profile films are for ones that are still in post production, they're threads born out of excitement when a first trailer is released and you have to wait for months for the film to come out. But whatever...

I ain't seen Gone Girl yet, i'll see it this thursday and i'm looking forward to it. I've read a lot of interviews with Fincher over the last week and a half he was completely committed to his casting choices, seems like he grilled them over dinner, i don't have a problem at all with Affleck, great actor..or Pike, she can hold her own with Jack Reacher so this role seemed like a natural progression. I trust Finch's judgement. And yeah, Title was a bit distracting for me because it reminded me of 'Gone Baby Gone' but they didn't have a choice, Gone Girl was the name of the book.

Thanks, very honest. Go see it! I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about this film. There's a lot to talk about in it.

Great film. The best (new) movie I've seen this year. I was impressed by Tyler Perry. The whole second half of the movie had me not knowing what was going to happen next. All of my assumptions changed every 15-20 minutes it seemed. I really wish it was already pirated in good quality because I'd like to watch it today.

Yeah the title is kind of dumb. Before the movie my friends and I kept brushing each other off like: "GONE, girl." or saying shit like "You gone girl". (we thought tyler perry would have a line like that) it was dum.

but yeah the soundtrack is fantastic.

[youtubehd]0Fp-9cgcRHE[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]40MJja4eipo[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]4rbNunVZAkg[/youtubehd]

I am enjoying the soundtrack.

Probably will watch the film upon my return to a first world country. Enjoyed most of Fincher's output quite thoroughly, so hopefully this continues the trend.

Guest murphythecat8

Yeah, as enjoyably complicated as the film is, I have a couple reservations. Major spoiler, so don't read this if you haven't seen it yet or read the book. And if you're on the fence about going to see this one, please take my advice: go see it!

The main issue I have is with Ben Affleck's character at the end. His decision to stay with the wifey seemed really thin to me. Oh, now she's pregnant with your child? Well, that is weak. I mean, she slashed a guy's throat for christ's sake. I could not stay in the same house with her, for sure. No question. Also, at the end, he makes some remark about how all they do is try to control each other, and she says "That's marriage!". Hmm. Well, by the time we've reached this part of the plot, the husband is *owned* by the wife: it is certainly an asymmetrical power dynamic. He's deluding himself if he's not aware that he's her puppet by now.

I totally agree. the ending is questionable.

But, ben affleck wouldnt want to let his wife raise his child, no way he would let that happen. but yeah, the ending is cool imo and its still reasonably credible...

I just saw this last night finally.. holy FUCK! Gone Girl literally renewed my excitement in film, which as of the last year or so has been meehh. I can't describe how giddy I was after walking out of the theater. My girlfriend really enjoyed it too, but she was laughing at how over the top i was being about my response, esp due to my obsession with david fincher and trent reznor. I've been pretty jaded with new movies lately, so this has been a relief.

This has to win an academy award, and the soundtrack a grammy, and should go down as a classic. Im very much hoping for a criterion collection release too. true masterpiece of art in every way possible.. from the acting to the score to the cinematography and pacing. and that scene.. yes, as was pointed out.. SPOILER ALERT: that murder scene in bed with reznor's nasty synth crescendos, $%^%^#&$%^&$&^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I literally threw my first in the air at the perfection of that scene while my gf was in sheer terror lol.. (its rare for me to even watch violent bloody death scenes as i often have ocd/visualization issues with gore scenes, so i usually turn away) .. and she was like im kind of shocked that you could be so excited during that horrific scene, and i was like THAT WAS AWESOME!!! FINCHER AND REZNOR!!! AGHHHH!!!!! (in quiet movie theater "yelling" lol) There were so many other lush scenes as well where the score just came together with it in the most satisfying way possible.

Going to see it again next week with some more peeps.

Has anyone read the book? I was hoping to read it before I saw the movie, and my brother is just finished reading it, so might give it a quick read through if I manage in time. Want to see this in cinema, so need to be quck I guess.

the soundtrack is great, the movie is ok. i think i need to watch it a 2nd time, because i think it tricks the viewer at some point:

when exactly does affleck KNOW, that his wife isn't dead and she planned all this? you as a viewer realize this of course, because you get to see the wife-isn't-dead-scenes, but how does he know this? just because of the puppets?

Archived