IGNORED

cEvin Key - Music for Cats reissue on vinyl

WeAreOceans

cEvin Key just posted on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152990179455851&set=a.75842315850.109849.694185850&type=1&permPage=1

coming soon. One of my faves
Double colored vinyl album. Music for Cats. on Storming the Base records.

Not clear if there will be any remastering going on, but getting this little gem on analogue would be ace. Any other Key fans tempted by this if it comes to fruition? (Nothing listed on Storming the Base site as far as I can tell).

cEvin Key just posted on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152990179455851&set=a.75842315850.109849.694185850&type=1&permPage=1

coming soon. One of my faves

Double colored vinyl album. Music for Cats. on Storming the Base records.

Not clear if there will be any remastering going on, but getting this little gem on analogue would be ace. Any other Key fans tempted by this if it comes to fruition? (Nothing listed on Storming the Base site as far as I can tell).

I will want to hear this. I still prefer his Ghost album, but Music for Cats was the first one I heard from him... Quite an experimental techno idm album when you contextualize it.

I would piss myself for a vinyl remaster of The Infidel.

That would be great, Doubting Thomas was a great project. There are quite a few cEvin Key related projects I'd love to have as remastered physical copies, really. I am not sure what lead to the decision of this particular album getting the vinyl treatment (especially since most fans seem to prefer Ghost of Each Room), but hey ho, maybe there are more to come.

• 3 weeks later...

very nice. I used to listen to this cd constantly, I think A Ghost in Each Room only edged it out by a little bit, mostly because of that awesome opening track. Now that I think about it , was any of the Download full length stuff ever put out on vinyl like Furnace, Eyes of Stanley Pain or III ? Having III especially as a 2xlp would be awesome. I wasn't in love with III when i first heard it but now it stands up as probably one of the most interesting psychedelic techno records of that era, kind of like a really evil version of Sun Electric

very nice. I used to listen to this cd constantly, I think A Ghost in Each Room only edged it out by a little bit, mostly because of that awesome opening track. Now that I think about it , was any of the Download full length stuff ever put out on vinyl like Furnace, Eyes of Stanley Pain or III ? Having III especially as a 2xlp would be awesome. I wasn't in love with III when i first heard it but now it stands up as probably one of the most interesting psychedelic techno records of that era, kind of like a really evil version of Sun Electric

LingAM, Helicopter and FiXer have LP releases, I don't think any others do. III is one of my all-time favourite albums ever, it's really beautiful work, having it on wax would be great!

III was the first fully electronic album I ever liked, that's when I was breaking out of just listening to metal via industrial pathways like Skinny Puppy and checking out everything they did. Love Download so much, LingAM is a great album too. They're not breaking new ground like they used to, but they're still banging out some great music.

Yoni from LingAM is basically a Sonic the Hedgehog track if they still made Sonic like they did in the Genesis/Megadrive days

that would be great...i guess this has never been on vinyl before. i used to have the cassette...

also interesting to see how many idm fans who started as industrial fans....

I was pretty much exactly like Obel, spent my early teens listening to a ton of metal before moving on to industrial acts like Skinny Puppy, eventually digging up other projects like Download which I totally fell in love with. Although I recall finding some Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin through Kazaa aeons ago when I was like 12, I just didn't delve too much into their discography at the time.

Interesting find, I wonder why they chose that record cover?

Maybe he had the album when he was a child and used to zone out on it? Just a guess. I love what they did with it.. (which wasn't much) Basically they added a modular synth and gave Peter a fat spliff and some dreadlocks, and darkened the contrast with some richer color. I love how "Boston Symphony Orchestra-----" becomes the "Subconcious Electronic Orchestra under the direction of Cevin Key" Both covers are amazing really.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty much exactly like Obel, spent my early teens listening to a ton of metal before moving on to industrial acts like Skinny Puppy, eventually digging up other projects like Download which I totally fell in love with. Although I recall finding some Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin through Kazaa aeons ago when I was like 12, I just didn't delve too much into their discography at the time.

I was also into metal and industrial first (early 90s) and Download was one of the artists that got me more into electronic and IDM (along with Underworld and Aphex Twin) This was helped of course by frequenting a goth/industrial music venue and their dance nights.

I'm really shocked Furnace, The Eyes of Stanley Pain, and III were never put out on vinyl. Same with Doubting Thomas, which would have provided some great tracks for goth/industrial dance nights. Although there was the Father Don't Cry EP. I think the Skinny Puppy side projects could have gotten a fair bit more exposure with more vinyl releases and club play.

Download did release III Steps Forward on vinyl (the CD being part of a From the Vault series). I have both the vinyl (trippy colors) and the CD. I also have Plateau's Iceolator vinyl which was released at the same time in 2002, as well as Involution's s/t re-released on vinyl in 2003.

yeah, the late 80s thru early 90s was the time when vinyl was least popular. many albums from that time period (other than techno/dj-oriented music) never got a vinyl release.

apparently, key and nettwerk have some sort of contract dispute, so the nettwerk-released stuff like stanley pain and iii won't be reissued.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived