IGNORED

Chromatic samplers (HARDWARE)

modey

iirc the mduw does interpolate, so the mnm might too. but the mduw has a sample rate reduction effect which can be used for this, the mnm also does have this effect I think..

Ah yeah, can the sample rate be keytracked though? That'd be the only way to get proper tracker style glassy aliasing from it.

edit: wait it seems you can.. looking at the manual, p40, you can assign keytracking to any plockable parameter, right? If so, that means I could make the MnM synths sound like protracker samples..?

cheap

OP-1

Heh

I read the OP differently - he made a statement about all the cheap/compact samplers on the market being geared for beat production and then asked for a chromatic sampler.

Oddly though, the OP-1 is possibly the cheapest option if you want to buy new rather than 2nd hand.

and its got a bit of extra value in the fact that its not just a sampler.

cheap

OP-1

Heh

I read the OP differently - he made a statement about all the cheap/compact samplers on the market being geared for beat production and then asked for a chromatic sampler.

Oddly though, the OP-1 is possibly the cheapest option if you want to buy new rather than 2nd hand.

It looks damn cool, actually!

Apparently the octatrack does chromatic sampling now though? Maybe I'll just save for one of those hahah

cheap

OP-1

Heh

It looks damn cool, actually!

Apparently the octatrack does chromatic sampling now though? Maybe I'll just save for one of those hahah

It does, at least "technically". The caveat is that your chromatic range is +/- ONE octave. As with most things in Elektron land, there are some workarounds for this. Creating different slices for different loop points and locking to those, locking loop length, and locking rate, all of which are going to involve locking and doing some multiplication and division by 2.

• 4 weeks later...

from what i understand the effect you're talking about is basically achieved by sampling something, then speeding it up so its say 50% of its original speed, then rendering it and taking that file and bringing it back to it's original speed. It sounds sorta like a bit crushing effect, but to my ears much better. Is that what you're talking about? Skinny Puppy used this effect a lot on Too Dark Park and Rabies, on vocals samples and other sounds. Am i totally off the mark?

Wow cool! I always thought that was just the character of the sampler they were using or something. I'll have to try this on my ESI-32!

from what i understand the effect you're talking about is basically achieved by sampling something, then speeding it up so its say 50% of its original speed, then rendering it and taking that file and bringing it back to it's original speed. It sounds sorta like a bit crushing effect, but to my ears much better. Is that what you're talking about? Skinny Puppy used this effect a lot on Too Dark Park and Rabies, on vocals samples and other sounds. Am i totally off the mark?

Wow cool! I always thought that was just the character of the sampler they were using or something. I'll have to try this on my ESI-32!

It is actually somewhat related to the character of the 8 bit samplers they were using (emax and mirage.) the esi-32 was designed to have very clean transposition so this trick will have less of a noticeable effect than when it's done on a grungier sampler. when i had a esi-32 i would re-process the samples over and over again (pitch shift, time compress, etc) to make them grungy.

I'm not looking for a bit crusher effect though (I explained why earlier in the thread). It's also a bit of a bloated solution considering I just want to play back samples with loop points, no interpolation and maybe an amp envelope. Pretty much exactly the way FT2 would do it. Maybe I'll just use that with DOSBOX on a netbook/raspberry pi or old laptop with MIDI or something..

Anyway it's less relevant now since the monomachine is pretty good at emulating the sharp lead sounds I usually use in my tracks :emotawesomepm9:

i just started working on a universal arduino software editor (CC-->> hidden sysex parameters) for a few of my hardware synths, i think you should do something like that Modey it probably wouldn't be too hard with a Pi

Archived