IGNORED

NAMM 2016 : The thread

d-a-m-o

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiny example: whenever sequence A reaches bar 2 of playback it has a chance of continuing to play sequence A, begin sequence B, or play sample X for one bar.

Each of those would have conditionals attached to them as well, so you can set up an endlessly morphing but still controllable set of sequences.

I'm worked with setups like this in Ableton, but to really take it past where it is I need to implement Max4Live, which means I need to first learn Max. :/ which is where I'm at because it's a bit daunting...

sent using magic space waves

I'm worked with setups like this in Ableton, but to really take it past where it is I need to implement Max4Live, which means I need to first learn Max.

Interested to learn what you're currently limited by with the existing 'follow actions' function in Live. Maybe you could try ClyphX which adds a bit of programmable shenanigans to triggered clips - http://beatwise.proboards.com/thread/992/current-version-clyphx-live-8

I personally need a sequencer (environment) that can be conditioned by individual events (notes, CCs, frequencies, volume etc.), not just simple probability of "follow actions". I use PD for that but I would love to have it in a VST form. I will probably learn and buy Reaktor sooner or later.

I'm worked with setups like this in Ableton, but to really take it past where it is I need to implement Max4Live, which means I need to first learn Max.

Interested to learn what you're currently limited by with the existing 'follow actions' function in Live. Maybe you could try ClyphX which adds a bit of programmable shenanigans to triggered clips - http://beatwise.proboards.com/thread/992/current-version-clyphx-live-8

I've not dug much into ClyphX, though I have seen it, so it may be a viable tool for me.

Follow actions are great but they don't affect things outside of the track they're a part of. I ultimately want to be able to structure movements that change the entire track: that way I could have, say, a bass track set up cycling through clips A-E, but when clip D gets looped 4 times consecutively, the next scene, which triggers the drums/bass/melody to on another movement, begins. That's a relatively simple example, but nonetheless out of the scope of what is possible from my current understanding.

Good discusion starting here which may warrant its own thread... I guess this one is sorta related ? http://forum.watmm.com/topic/89831-external-midi-effects-and-what-not/

Anyway, the way I see it, you have to break this stuff down into components. Keep in mind these will need to be composed (in the programming sense, not the writing a song sense) to be useful. The components I can think of right now:

- Listeners - when a thing happens, tell something else about it. Usually are going to contain some additional data, e.g. note number, velocity, CC number, etc., and may have parameters telling it what to listen to.

- Counters - count the number of times a thing happens. Most useful when resettable.

- Arrays/Lists/Tables - a container for a bunch of related data. Could hold melodies, scales, on/off values for drum triggers, reasonable parameter values, lists of parameters you care about, etc.

- Emitters - actually send new data out or trigger new events. "Side effects" in programming terminology.
- Flow/Logic - the glue that connects the other components and describes the decisions you want them to make.

So, auxien, in your example you'd have:

(#1) A listener for clip D, hooked up to (#2) a counter, hooked up to (#3) an emitter that triggers the clips provided to it in (#4) a list/table of clips. Somewhere in here is (#5) some glue logic. Say between (#1) and (#2) is some that checks that clip == D, and another between (#2) and (#3) that checks whether counter.output == 4. And once counter.output == 4, we probably want to reset it, maybe through an emitter or maybe we've already told it to wrap down to 0 once it hits that count.

Sounds really obvious but I figure once you have these components in place and can start composing them in a reliable, intuitive way is when the magic starts to happen. I'm not quite there yet with mine but I'll let you know if I ever get there!

Yeah, this discussion probably warrants its own thread....

sweepstakes, that's a good breakdown of what I'd need for the example given. All of which already exist (or I'm sure could be created) in Max. A thing worth pointing out is that example is more designed for a writing template that creates variable results: simply playing a version the example I gave in a live situation could already be easily performed by the user in Ableton with just a mouse....or for playing 'live' essentially any MIDI controller (I've got a Push already).

I'm definitely interested in those methods of playback though, definitely interested in more information and tools available in that realm of music hardware/software.

Oh ok, thanks Auxien! That's the kind of stuff I've sometimes done with Numerology, but haven't dug deep enough in that way yet.

I've heard someone (maybe you?) mention Numerology before. Got a link to some info or a quick bit of info on what it is?

Oh, yeah, all that could be done in Max, piece of cake. I just wanted to point out, you could also build that type of system on damn near anything else, too, depending on how complex your patches get. There's a lot of concerns to address (UI, loading/saving, connectivity) but you really should be able to do this with almost any computer. These are not particularly complex things.

Also on Numerology, I have a buddy that uses it as his main compositional axe and he loves it. I think he's mostly working in Ableton for live stuff, though, mostly because he's collaborating with an MC. Here's some of his blog posts on it: http://bagger288.com/goldenmaster/tag/numerology/

Archived