IGNORED

PSA : John Romero has uploaded new Doom 1 level

Guest bitroast

Guest bitroast

"

It's been 21 years since I made a DOOM level. Here's my version of E1M8 using DOOM1.WAD. I limited myself to only the shareware assets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2x2ee3r51986dkt/e1m8b.zip?dl=0

"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153906645721289&set=a.501222076288.298741.517581288&type=3&theater

seeing as this is his version of E1M8, and all other levels in Knee-Deep in the Dead were made by (or finished by) Romero, this effectively makes the Episode an all romero curated experience.

Oh yeah thx for the reminder. That's awesome that one of the original developers has made a comeback, even if by only a single map.

Curious to see how the Brutal Doom mod performs on it.

figured I could open it just dragging the wad over the exe but it didn't work.

Can't open it using the usual console commands either.

Does it replace the existing E1M8 ? In which case you might just have to use the old cheat command to warp there which is (goes into the dusty remnants of my brain with MSDOS cheats) which for E1M8 would be: IDCLEV18 (you just type it when the game has started, no need to go into the console)

Does it replace the existing E1M8 ? In which case you might just have to use the old cheat command to warp there which is (goes into the dusty remnants of my brain with MSDOS cheats) which for E1M8 would be: IDCLEV18 (you just type it when the game has started, no need to go into the console)

I tried, it brought me to the regular lvl 18, "the courtyard".

hrm...

hrm...

Sounds like you're using the Doom 2 WAD Stephen.

e1m8b sounds like a great autechre track

The title you mean? Or did Romero introduce new music with it as well?

hrm...

Aye the courtyard is a Doom 2 level which probably explains the issue here !

hrm...

e1m8b sounds like a great autechre track

The title you mean? Or did Romero introduce new music with it as well?

the title sounds like the song title of an autechfre

Guest unteleportedman

hrm...

Aye the courtyard is a Doom 2 level which probably explains the issue here !

Good level that I can actually visualize what it looks like in my head right now.

Doom II (and soon Doom 1/ultimate/Doom 95) were very prevalent throughout my childhood.

I occasionally use an updated port to play it online called Zandronum (which used to be called Skulltag). You use this thing called "Doomseeker" to view all the servers being hosted etc. Some of the mods/wads/etc. are really cool and nice to use open gl for the graphics etc. My favorite is definitely one called "Complex Doom" and playing "survival" style co-op multiplayer with it. Anyone else here ever play that?

I'll def have to try out that new Romero level later on when I'm not at work.

Works perfectly, it's how I just played though it - it gets unsurprisingly messy:

doom.jpg

Proper tough level, I loved it - Played on the middle Brutal Doom difficulty and had a level time of just over 35 mins (thought was closer to 50 with reloading saves). Forgot that in Brutal Doom the Barons of Hell threw radioactive barrels - that certainly made the end fight pretty hard (especially as I was an idiot and saved right at the start of the battle with only 20 health) !

Works perfectly, it's how I just played though it - it gets unsurprisingly messy:

doom.jpg

Proper tough level, I loved it - Played on the middle Brutal Doom difficulty and had a level time of just over 35 mins (thought was closer to 50 with reloading saves). Forgot that in Brutal Doom the Barons of Hell threw radioactive barrels - that certainly made the end fight pretty hard (especially as I was an idiot and saved right at the start of the battle with only 20 health) !

Yep, same. One of the Barons tried to throw a barrel at me too towards the end, but I managed to dodge it.

Very challenging and well-done map overall. For a 21-year hiatus it's like Romero hadn't missed a beat.

hrm...

Ohhhhhhhh derp derp derpppp

I don't know why I thought it was a doom 2 level! Sorry guys :facepalm::facepalm:

• 3 months later...

Just played thru that new e1m4 map. I dunno if I could ever play Classic DOOM without the Brutal Doom mod again lol

I might consider backing Blackroom too.

Archived