IGNORED

Buy It For Life Thread

maitake

As much as I like to shit on Apple, iPods are just great. I've had a 3rd 4th generation iPod Nano for close to 10 years now. It's been through hell and back: the crystal screen protector is gone, the top white lid is gone, but it still works flawlessly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I like to shit on Apple, iPods are just great. I've had a 3rd 4th generation iPod Nano for close to 10 years now. It's been through hell and back: the crystal screen protector is gone, the top white lid is gone, but it still works flawlessly.

I have had two Ipod classics, both lasted less than a year my 3gen Nano has lasted 7 years however, sad that there are no massive storage mp3 players on the market anymore..

edit: resorted to buying a 2tb hard drive, and will probs buy a set of speakers that play from USB... same thing really

I don't have the money for fancy furniture but my Dr.Marten boots have lasted a few years, only reason I had to buy a new pair then was a car driving over one of the steel toes and breaking it.

Also got fed up of shitty adidas/nike etc backpack zips breaking so bought one from an army surplas shop for the same money, I'd be surprised if it doesn't last a decade.

Telefunken RC 760 TS

My Grandmother (may she be happy were she is) had kind of inhereted this to me. She won it someday in the german lottery. It has even a cinch out. For 15 years it is now my festival radio and shower radio , getting everyday or two rising moisture in its electronics and is still working (and sounding) top notch. Also I'm not very kind with it on festivals, but my RC 760 doesnt care, it stands by me.

I love you grandma and Telefunken, too. Everyone should have a Telefunken in his kitchen.

That's what i'm talking about! Amazing.

I don't think it is a mistake that products like this difficult to break. Some

designs are just better than others.

i have a timbuk2 custom backpack for a few years (one of the ones made in sf). it's held up fine except one of the chest strap snaps fell off. i think it has a lifetime warranty so i could probably get it replaced for free? it was my main bike bag for a couple of years though and the thing fucking reeks when that sweat shit gets reactivated (heat+humidity).

invested in some high quality commuting shorts and pants in the last couple of years after blowing out a number of my $20 h&m shit shits. definitely appreciate the quality stuff. $80 for a pair of swrv shorts that have seen thousands of miles in the last couple of years (i commute 20mi/day 5 days a week in them). they're mad faded, especially in the seat, but they're not going anywhere. i'll probably dye them soon as the shorts season has already started here (wearing them now). the pants i got were cadence and have been as durable as the swrv shorts but haven't faded nearly as much.

also owned two surlys. my cross check was totalled in an accident but i've been riding a pacer (built up like a crosscheck 'cause i prefer bar ends) and has seen nearly 10k miles since i got it. i beat the shit out of my bike and basically ride it until the chain breaks and then replace the cassette with a new chain.

i'm def in the market for a lifetime quality locking blade pocket knife. problem i keep running into is that most of the affordable/well known ones come w/leather sheaths and i'm a fell good vegetarian pussy asshole

I'd recommend a Benchmade folder made from CPM-M4 tool steel. They are insanely strong knives, crafted in the USA, come with great warranties, and they typically either don't have a sheathe or ship with a nylon pouch type. Price range for the upper end Benchmades is from $150-$300.. Well worth it though, because it's a knife that will outlive you and your children probs.

I have had two Ipod classics, both lasted less than a year my 3gen Nano has lasted 7 years however, sad that there are no massive storage mp3 players on the market anymore..

edit: resorted to buying a 2tb hard drive, and will probs buy a set of speakers that play from USB... same thing really

iPods seem to be pretty hit or miss. I went through 3 or 4 or them in a few years (failed headphone jack every time), but a friend of mine uses a an iPod Classic from 2005. :psyduck: To be fair, I'm pretty sure she loaded it with classic rock on 12/25/05 and hasn't synced it since.

iPods seem to be pretty hit or miss. I went through 3 or 4 or them in a few years (failed headphone jack every time), but a friend of mine uses a an iPod Classic from 2005. :psyduck: To be fair, I'm pretty sure she loaded it with classic rock on 12/25/05 and hasn't synced it since.

It must be those classics.. Met a girl once that used one of the originals, 1st edition ones.. Really the only thing in them that should degrade at all is the Li-ion batteries, which are replaceable with a little handiwork if i remember correctly. Not bad apple!

I've had a Lenovo Y50 laptop for a year and a half now and still runs some of the latest games near flawlessly, on par with many desktops out there. Definitely won't buy an HP again, and it might be a good while still before I need a replacement PC.

I've owned a 2015 Nissan Versa for nearly a year as well. Only major problem I'm having right now is I have to put air in the rear left tire every two weeks or so, though I'm still not sure why it slowly loses air pressure. Will probably need to do my second oil change soon as well. Did the first one last Halloween, of all days to do it.

My Magic Bullet blender proved pretty versatile since I bought it six months ago. Originally bought it to make "bulletproof" coffee, but lately I've been using it to make smoothies, guacamole, hummus, etc.

Also bought a new Norelco cordless shaver about two months ago. Pretty much what I use all my haircuts and beard mowing for, being a baldy.

Even though I'm not wealthy by any means, I pretty much have what I need material-wise. From here it's more a matter of getting more engaged in exercise, outdoor activity, maybe social outings...crap like that.

Take your car to a tire shop and have them thoroughly inspect the tire for any "flush punctures" (where the item puncturing the tire is flush with the tread, and difficult to detect), and also the rim - the rim could be slightly bent and the tire is not sealing properly, thus creating the leak. Valve stem could also be loose/bad.

I've had a Lenovo Y50 laptop for a year and a half now and still runs some of the latest games near flawlessly, on par with many desktops out there. Definitely won't buy an HP again, and it might be a good while still before I need a replacement PC.

I've owned a 2015 Nissan Versa for nearly a year as well. Only major problem I'm having right now is I have to put air in the rear left tire every two weeks or so, though I'm still not sure why it slowly loses air pressure. Will probably need to do my second oil change soon as well. Did the first one last Halloween, of all days to do it.

My Magic Bullet blender proved pretty versatile since I bought it six months ago. Originally bought it to make "bulletproof" coffee, but lately I've been using it to make smoothies, guacamole, hummus, etc.

Also bought a new Norelco cordless shaver about two months ago. Pretty much what I use all my haircuts and beard mowing for, being a baldy.

Even though I'm not wealthy by any means, I pretty much have what I need material-wise. From here it's more a matter of getting more engaged in exercise, outdoor activity, maybe social outings...crap like that.

Take your car to a tire shop and have them thoroughly inspect the tire for any "flush punctures" (where the item puncturing the tire is flush with the tread, and difficult to detect), and also the rim - the rim could be slightly bent and the tire is not sealing properly, thus creating the leak. Valve stem could also be loose/bad.

Seconded. My last subaru was an amazing car, with the same exception. Two of the tires would rapidly lose air no matter what I did. The local tire shop couldn't seem to do anything about it.

I worked with a lady who had a master mechanic for a husband. He took the tires off immediately knew what to do.

He put bead sealant on the rims, and they didn't leak again. Turns out the mild corrosion that develops on rims over time was causing it, and the guys at the local tire shop somehow didn't know this?

I'll also vouch for the magic bullet blender.. admittedly it's probably not Buy It For Life material but it's a great value for the price anyway. Blendtec is probably the most durable of blenders I think, or something more high-end/commercial lines.. The magic bullet has a metal casing that gives it a sturdy feel, the motor is strong, and the overall design is simple. We'll see how long it lasts.. :biggrin:

i have a timbuk2 custom backpack for a few years (one of the ones made in sf). it's held up fine except one of the chest strap snaps fell off. i think it has a lifetime warranty so i could probably get it replaced for free? it was my main bike bag for a couple of years though and the thing fucking reeks when that sweat shit gets reactivated (heat+humidity).

invested in some high quality commuting shorts and pants in the last couple of years after blowing out a number of my $20 h&m shit shits. definitely appreciate the quality stuff. $80 for a pair of swrv shorts that have seen thousands of miles in the last couple of years (i commute 20mi/day 5 days a week in them). they're mad faded, especially in the seat, but they're not going anywhere. i'll probably dye them soon as the shorts season has already started here (wearing them now). the pants i got were cadence and have been as durable as the swrv shorts but haven't faded nearly as much.

also owned two surlys. my cross check was totalled in an accident but i've been riding a pacer (built up like a crosscheck 'cause i prefer bar ends) and has seen nearly 10k miles since i got it. i beat the shit out of my bike and basically ride it until the chain breaks and then replace the cassette with a new chain.

i'm def in the market for a lifetime quality locking blade pocket knife. problem i keep running into is that most of the affordable/well known ones come w/leather sheaths and i'm a fell good vegetarian pussy asshole

I'd recommend a Benchmade folder made from CPM-M4 tool steel. They are insanely strong knives, crafted in the USA, come with great warranties, and they typically either don't have a sheathe or ship with a nylon pouch type. Price range for the upper end Benchmades is from $150-$300.. Well worth it though, because it's a knife that will outlive you and your children probs.

based on a bit of research it seems m390 might be better for me. would be for daily carry and i ride/sweat a lot so the vulnerability to corrosion kinda kills the cpm-m4 for me. doug ritter rsk mk1 seems like a well reviewed knife (by benchmade)

Yeah that sounds about right. Personally I don't mind maintaining high carbon steels and prefer their edge. I'm a knife guy though.

That rsk mk1 looks fantastic! Certainly won't go wrong with that one I think.

I bought this jacket last week for 350 with the idea that it'll last me for life.

arc003.jpg

An extravagant purchase but more of an investment because I justify it to myself by saying I live in a place with shitty weather for half the year and i'll wear it a lot so in the end I can go outside and be warm and dry until old age. To pay for such a jacket I had to sell a lot of other clothes, i'm in the process of downsizing the wardrobe to having only stuff I wear and need (those jeans in the jeans thread are literally my only pair of jeans now), having a clearout is good, I had too much stuff, so my thing now is to have one of everything (apart from underwear), but it has to be the best quality. I still need to sell a lot of shoes though and buy a suit.

I don't think the buy for life thing can apply to tech too much because that changes at an insane rate (though i'm still using my old Sony NWA3000 that I got for Xmas 2005, grown very attached). I do have my micro hi-fi and camera listed for sale at the moment and sold my tablet for one with a bigger screen. Tech is something that people will always update and the money will flow.

Yeah, North Face are good but their hoods don't compare with Arc. It's worth paying extra for a less annoying hood, North face ones were unwieldy and flapped about even when you pulled the drawstring! Arc's are just all round better design imo. Look it up, Fission SV.

o ya. embarrassingly enough i recently paid $60 for a bike bell: http://www.spurcycle.com/products/better-bicycle-bell

Tough looking Bell though! Is pay 60 for that

Yeah, North Face are good but their hoods don't compare with Arc. It's worth paying extra for a less annoying hood, North face ones were unwieldy and flapped about even when you pulled the drawstring! Arc's are just all round better design imo. Look it up, Fission SV.

Yes you made the right choice. I did work for an online retailer who stocked arc'teryx. They are amazing and certainly worth the premium price.

you'd have to pay me $1000 to wear that.

as far as buying-for-life goes, I fully support that philosophy and wish more people thought of their possessions in that way! But when you can't keep it (moving, downsizing, or whatever other reason), instead of throwing it away, at least take it down to a Goodwill or a second hand store! Someone else can get a good quality whatever for cheap, it's still probably got plenty of use left in it if you were keeping it, and you can feel good knowing it's still out there in the world, serving someone else. I don't always buy life-long things (electronic gadgets won't last a lifetime no matter how hard you try), but I do make a point to send it somewhere that it can still be used if I'm absolutely done with it. And I keep my clothes until they're falling apart. Jeans with battle scars are the best. :wub:

@ Joyrex and Maitake - Yeah it's possibly a leak either along the tire's thread or rim. The valve stem and cap seem fine though. It's just weird how slow it is though. Didn't start having this issue until last fall when the temperatures started dropping, though whether that's coincidence I can't be certain.

@ Joyrex and Maitake - Yeah it's possibly a leak either along the tire's thread or rim. The valve stem and cap seem fine though. It's just weird how slow it is though. Didn't start having this issue until last fall when the temperatures started dropping, though whether that's coincidence I can't be certain.

sounds exactly like mine. lol

the fucking tire would deflate slowly, but fast enough to catch me by surprise every X days.

bead sealant supposedly doesn't make putting new tires on an issue, and it definitely stopped my tires from leaking.

the trick might be finding a mechanic that will put it on the rims/tires (however it works) for you. the tire shop i went to first just kept trying to sand the rims even and it never worked..

41SAJT2SQTL.jpg

Archived