IGNORED

For those that have to sit most of the day, how do you cope (with back pain)

Brisbot

Would you describe yourself as stressed, Brisbot? I also spend most of my time sitting but I generally only experience back problems during periods of stress. Apparently that's a thing.

Perception of pain is hugely impacted by context, mood, emotion, etc.

This is why we we experience productive pain (working out, etc) differently from non-productive pain (random leg cramp, etc), even when the actual raw sensations are identical.

I've read the suggestions and there are lots of good ones. I've taken to stretching 3+ times a day (especially my back) in addition to the working out. Within a few years I'm going to require a treadmill desk or standing desk or something so I'm not sitting all day. I'm just going to whittle away at this problem until I can beat it.

Yes I would describe myself as stressed at times, and yes when I'm stressed my pain perception is higher. I've been taking kratom for the back pain, but that only masks the symptoms (basically have no pain when I take kratom unless I move in the wrong way) so that doesn't mean I'm suddenly free to not workout or something. The kratom definitely helps me ignore the pain and my output with everything is higher.

i'm using this

51dVyCVr-cL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.togu.de/en/Health-Fitness/Healthy-Sitting/Office/Dynair-Ballkissen-XL-black.html

..although i doesn't look like much, it did the trick for me. keeps your back "occupied" with those micro balancing movements, pretty much like one of those sitting balls. got it from a local physio supplies store and using it ever since. it wont replace some decent work out routine though. i'm quite an avid rrcyclist and boulderer, so my basic core stability should be ok..

there's the classic meditation and dancing method, time tested, everyone approved.

really sorry to hear of this suffering, I have a friend who has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic pain.

and I think it helps to know someone's "got your back", so friendship, love, ecstasy, all help.

there's always ganja, it's magical stuff, I recommend it. highly.

stuff works wonders, makes cool music too./

LimpyLoo, you let yourself down badly by not maintaining your name change thread. It wasn't your finest hour. You disappeared for 3 weeks, your naked body being used as a pin cushion on skid row. You can't just walk back in after what happened. You need to explain what happened in your own words.

Okay

I couldnt figure out how to change SN

Asked thrice for mods to change my SN

I suggested a poll and everything

I tried every conceivable method to change SN...looked at every possible option in "change profile" and "about me" etc had no luck

Closest i got was changing Tapatalk sign-in name

Then my internet got turned off because i have no idea what im doing

Typing this on GF's phone

I didnt fail y'all

Y'all failed yourselves

go to profile--> edit profile--> display name

voila!

if I'm right, do I get naming rights?

Ninja McMacintosh

LimpyLoo, you let yourself down badly by not maintaining your name change thread. It wasn't your finest hour. You disappeared for 3 weeks, your naked body being used as a pin cushion on skid row. You can't just walk back in after what happened. You need to explain what happened in your own words.

Okay

I couldnt figure out how to change SN

Asked thrice for mods to change my SN

I suggested a poll and everything

I tried every conceivable method to change SN...looked at every possible option in "change profile" and "about me" etc had no luck

Closest i got was changing Tapatalk sign-in name

Then my internet got turned off because i have no idea what im doing

Typing this on GF's phone

I didnt fail y'all

Y'all failed yourselves

go to profile--> edit profile--> display name

voila!

if I'm right, do I get naming rights?

Ninja McMacintosh

I don't think that method works for lowly 'Members' like Limpy.

Would you describe yourself as stressed, Brisbot? I also spend most of my time sitting but I generally only experience back problems during periods of stress. Apparently that's a thing.

This is why we we experience productive pain (working out, etc) differently from non-productive pain (random leg cramp, etc), even when the actual raw sensations are identical.

Haha this is the only reason I exercise. I still get all sorts of random pains if I dont, so exercise helps me trick my brain into feeling like sir chris hoy rather than an old dying man

Sometimes I fast, and the difference between intended hunger and unintended hunger is insane. The latter is unbearable for (say) 24 hours, whereas the former is actually quite a nice experience. Literally identical sensations, but the context does all the work.

Haha this is the only reason I exercise. I still get all sorts of random pains if I dont, so exercise helps me trick my brain into feeling like sir chris hoy rather than an old dying man

Sometimes I fast, and the difference between intended hunger and unintended hunger is insane. The latter is unbearable for (say) 24 hours, whereas the former is actually quite a nice experience. Literally identical sensations, but the context does all the work.

You guys are oversimplifying biological processes.

Fasting gets easier, because your body enters ketosis, at which point it begins fueling itself. Ketone bodies have a not yet understood reduction on your hunger response. This is why people who follow a ketogenic diet report never feeling the "hunger" feeling that they associated with only an hour or two of not eating on a standard diet. Likely your normal diet falls into this category which puts you on the normal cycle of eating and feeling intensely hungry. Fasting itself is extremely beneficial for your body, because it's highly stressful, which causes a major anti-inflammatory reaction, and it initiates a process called autophagy that clears out dangerous and senesecent cells in your body.

Also, exercise is a pro-inflammatory activity, when it occurs your body releases chemicals that make you super uncomfortable, and then your body responds by releasing endorphins and anti-inflammatory substances. When exercising in a appropriate manner, this lowers total inflammation in your body and is likely what contributes to you not being in general levels of pain. For instance, joint pain can be significantly reduced through regular activity.

I don't know for sure, because I don't understand the mechanism clearly enough, but I would guess that a leg cramp and the pain you experience from exercise are not really identical at all.

treadmill desks are a gimmick and a safety hazard that lowers productivity. get a sit stand desk and keep taking breaks

I've looked them up. For some reason people want to go 3-4 mph on them, when you're supposed to go at a leisurely 1.5-2 mph. I rarely see people going this low. The idea isn't to 'get in shape' the idea is to stop sitting so much. I don't know if I'd like standing in one spot, making treadmill desks seem better.

I would like a treadmill/stand/sit desk

You guys are oversimplifying biological processes.

Fasting gets easier, because your body enters ketosis, at which point it begins fueling itself. Ketone bodies have a not yet understood reduction on your hunger response. This is why people who follow a ketogenic diet report never feeling the "hunger" feeling that they associated with only an hour or two of not eating on a standard diet. Likely your normal diet falls into this category which puts you on the normal cycle of eating and feeling intensely hungry. Fasting itself is extremely beneficial for your body, because it's highly stressful, which causes a major anti-inflammatory reaction, and it initiates a process called autophagy that clears out dangerous and senesecent cells in your body.

Also, exercise is a pro-inflammatory activity, when it occurs your body releases chemicals that make you super uncomfortable, and then your body responds by releasing endorphins and anti-inflammatory substances. When exercising in a appropriate manner, this lowers total inflammation in your body and is likely what contributes to you not being in general levels of pain. For instance, joint pain can be significantly reduced through regular activity.

I don't know for sure, because I don't understand the mechanism clearly enough, but I would guess that a leg cramp and the pain you experience from exercise are not really identical at all.

I'm saying that some days I decide not to eat, and some days I don't eat because I'm off doing something and it's logistically unfeasible to go find food. It has nothing to do woth ketosis or anything like that. The physical sensations are identical but the way it's psychologically framed is different.

This is not some fringe idea, it's well-evidenced concept in psychology. (Lemme try to remember its proper name and I'll post some of the literature on it)

From the Psychology Today article:

"During the first scan, the participants were asked to clear their minds and not think of anything in particular while being subjected to the painful heat on their arms.

In the second scan, the participants were asked to imagine that the burning heat was actually damaging their skin. This mindset was found to increase perceptions of pain.

In the final scan, participants were asked to imagine that the heat was actually a welcome sensation on an extremely cold day: this explanatory style was found to decrease the perceived experience of the pain."

Archived