IGNORED

oversaturation of electronic music

marf

*Electronic music fans complain their music doesn't get enough exposure*

*Electronic music fans complain their music is overexposed*

:cerious:

but that's how people work in a nutshell innit, always finding something to complain about.

is nice tho, keeps the watmms going :)

I really dug being able to stop into just about any corporate or indie record store in the 90's - early 00's and find at the very least flagship Warp titles, Ninja Tune, Astralwerks, Mute, and maybe even a smattering of Planet Mu, Skam, Grand Royal, Mo Wax, etc. I've given up on relying on brick and mortars since then as there is so much quality out there, between bandcamp, soundcloud, bleepstores, and individual band websites the sky's the limit. There's always been crap, why worry 'bout it?

The annoying bit is when you're boxed into certain environments of music. There's music we don't like everywhere. It's when we're forced to be exposed to it at a grocery store, adverts, elevators, etc that becomes aggravating. Getting frustrated that terrible music exists has no solution. Limiting exposure to it has some solutions.

Steve Albini has an insightful take on that idea:

"Music has entered the environment as an atmospheric element, like the wind, and in that capacity should not be subject to control and compensation. Well, not unless the rights holders are willing to let me turn the tables on it. If you think my listening is worth something, OK then, so do I. Play a Phil Collins song while I’m grocery shopping? Pay me $20. Def Leppard? Make it $100. Miley Cyrus? They don’t print money big enough."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/17/steve-albinis-keynote-address-at-face-the-music-in-full

"Music has entered the environment as an atmospheric element, like the wind, and in that capacity should not be subject to control and compensation. Well, not unless the rights holders are willing to let me turn the tables on it. If you think my listening is worth something, OK then, so do I. Play a Phil Collins song while I’m grocery shopping? Pay me $20. Def Leppard? Make it $100. Miley Cyrus? They don’t print money big enough."

I remember the first time I saw a car commercial with some squarepusher sounding music in the background. thought it was pretty cool. Would rather that than the beatles. or phil collins. I learned how to tune out shit music a long time ago working at a corporate music store, they played the absolute worst

Luxury car commercials had the coolest music back in like 2005.

I don't mind if lots of people listen to electronic music. Eventually the mainstream will be aware of the kind of stuff we do and think of us as renegades. Or nerds. Both would be an interesting combo.

"Those goddamn nerd renegades."

Archived