IGNORED

snareup.com talks to Paul Nicholson, 7\ designer

phudoshin

You are absolutely obsessed with Aphex Twin. Worryingly so. You didn't grow out of it. Most 50 year olds listen to Crosby Stills and Nash. Jump on that hype train. It will mean having to sell all your t-shirts but I think you should do it.

paul picked some great tracks to share with us, answered many participant questions personally, and talked quite a bit about his history and experiences as a designer. of course there is a lot of aphex news lately, though we talked about plenty else. i don't know that it's possible for all of this to come across in the recordings as the nature of the show is interactive. it was cool, but if you don't like it just ignore.

Episode Number3__one

TRACKLIST:

*selected by Paul Nicholson Number 3

1. *Ital Tek - Cobra

2. Aphex Twin - B3 T20A ede 441

3. Uncrat - Anthropocene (sub-d39)

4. Jessica Walrus - Hydra Eyeball [PERC31] - from new album “Dove Spaceship”

5. Split Horizon - Trees

6. Speak Onion - In Blood, Inert

7. *µ-ziq - Approaching Menace

8. Aphex Twin - Start As You Mean To Go On

9. *Autechre - Basscadet (Basscadoubletmx)

10. *Anna Meredith - Nautilus

11. *Cabaret Voltaire - Theme From Earthshaker

12. *Depeche Mode - Tora! Tora! Tora! (Karlsson +Winnberg Remix)  

13. *Add N to (X) - Revenge Of The Black Regent

14. Balil // Small Energies

15. D'Arcangelo - Nadine

16. *Zoom Around Rainbow - Papers

17. Fuji Tape - Track 12- @FX - MATRIXT9

18. *Blanck Mass - D7-D5

19. Oval - Sa

20. Swede Mason - put the lotion in the basket

21. Bogdan Raczynski ‎- Alright! (Part 8)

22. *Clark - Alice (Redux)

23. *Broken English Club - Wreck

24. *Mescalinum United - We Have Arrived

25. *Mass-X-odus - Gang Wars

26. *Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

You are absolutely obsessed with Aphex Twin. Worryingly so. You didn't grow out of it. Most 50 year olds listen to Crosby Stills and Nash. Jump on that hype train. It will mean having to sell all your t-shirts but I think you should do it.

"Obphexed" - get with the program

From #questions text channel @ #snareup @ discord

The Pink Pistol

I've just started a college track in Graphic Design and we're doing a lot of drafting on paper (particularly for typography) to get into things. Is working on paper how you started as well, Paul?

Phresch

are you still in touch with richard james and have you got an afx tattoo

comploud

What made you and rich modify the afx logo slighty when going into the syro era?

Number 3

The Pink Pistol I was a University in a time before Apple Macs and the like - 1989-1992. Everything was pencil & paper. Still is. I find it the best way for ideas to flow.

@phresch I did not speak with Richard from 1995 to 2016 when he rand me up out of the blue. We spoke for about 4 hours. I am hoping to meet up with him sometime soon.

The Pink Pistol

Thank you  your work and tastes are great

Number 3

@comploud As far as I am aware, the Syro logo is as the original. The black on Green sticker is on my current sketchbook.

phresch

what are your inspirations in art?

Number 3

@The Pink Pistol Thanks.

@phresch A big question. The following is from my website and covers my first 20 years.

The Early Years. 1970-1990 Lego, Tonka, Matchbox, Airfix, Drawing, Bikes, Tomorrow’s World, Commando, Fluorescent Orange, Camouflage, Tamiya, Chris Foss, 2001AD, The Stainless Steel Rat, Tamiya, Vulcan, Barbarella, Battle of the Planets, Dioramas, Albedo 0.39, Raleigh Burner, Haro, 34B, ZTT, i-D, Art of Noise, Electro, White Lines, Subway Art, Apocalypse Now, Cabaret Voltaire, BMX, 4AD, Cocteau Twins, Bladerunner, Warning Signage, Go at throttle up, Brian Eno, Kraftwerk, Skateboarding, The Search for Animal Chin, Soul Mining, Shop Lifting, Love Missile F1-11, Natas, Alien 2, Yo! Bum Rush the Show, Gundam, Music for the Masses, Full Metal Jacket, Ni-ni-ni 19, Age Of Chance, The Designers Republic, Pump up the Volume, PWEI, Sheffield, Das Boot, Slaughterhouse 5, Octavo, North - the sound of the dance underground, 808 State, LFO, Warp, Deadline, A Clockwork Orange, Irdial-Discs, Neuromancer, Detroit/Berlin, Dale/Faver, Appleseed, Underground Resistance.

Comploud

are you aware that the logo is on a gravestone?

phresch

haha, used and abused for sure. i've seen so many variations of it

Number 3

@comploud Is that grave stone for real or has someone had fun in Photoshop?

GreystarMusic

I believe it's real! one sec... found it on a reddit post

Comploud

apparently it was found during a walk

in england

Bigly Striber

I'm sure you can run it through a photo scanner to see if it's been manipulated

Number 3

@phresch used and abused –

YouTube

Paul Nicholson

Aphex Animated Logo - YouTube

Comploud

the post on reddit seemd to be authentic

who knows

Bigly Striber

"digital image forensics"

Comploud

antoher mystery

phresch

nice video, paul. ive spent hours in various emblem editors in video games trying to get the dimensions right

it was always off somehow

Bigly Striber

you ever hear of the game Armored Core?

Number 3

@Bigly Striber Not until now.

The Pink Pistol

Another question, did you also do the jumbly "APHEX" text on the cover of Selected Ambient Works V.2? How did that come to be, if so?(edited)

Bigly Striber

I was just curious, because the art design looks almost like some of your art on your website(edited)

Number 3

@The Pink Pistol I worked on the whole sleeve concept for Ambient Works Vol 2. Check out my Instagram - I go in to quite a bit of detail. - https://www.instagram.com/p/BRvHJeuBMvp/?hl=en&taken-by=number3__

Instagram

Instagram post by Paul Nicholson • Mar 17, 2017 at 10:36am UTC

179 Likes, 3 Comments - Paul Nicholson (@number3__) on Instagram: “APHEX TWIN - Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 - Sleeve Design Never seen before working sketches…”

phresch

@The Pink Pistol there's a nice video with paul here

YouTube

Resident Advisor

RA News: Aphex Twin logo designer Paul Nicholson shows more unseen sketches

The Pink Pistol

Got it

Awesome, thank you!

Phresch

ive seen a few logos/work by you inspired by japanese culture/anime, is that something you like working on?

is it hard to stay passionate about your design for big corporations vs small indie artists?

*designs/artwork

Bigly Striber

^ great question

Number 3

@phresch It is a balance. Working for bigger companies brings you bigger bucks and really forces you to up your game. But ultimately, it becomes design by committee and very often is forced down avenues you are not 100% completely happy... But it pays the bills. Working with artists and smaller companies gives you more freedom and opportunities to create more creative, cutting edge work... But tends to pay bad.

@phresch From a creative point of view, I enjoy both.

Phresch

that's good

Number 3

@phresch The whole thing regarding Japan goes back to the mid 80s when I was much younger. I got into Japanese comics and especially robot shows like Gundam and Patlabor. My major thesis at University was on the history of the Japanese comic. I had two T-shirt brands - Prototype 21 & Terratag - that were predominantly influenced by Japanese culture.`

The Pink Pistol

Did you ever do any work with/for The Designers Republic, or any of the team?

Number 3

@The Pink Pistol I met Ian Anderson when I was doing an essay for my A-Levels way back in 1987. Around the time they were working with the Age of Chance. I met in a number of times whilst touring with Aphex and visiting the guys at Warp - DR and Warp were both based in Sheffield at the time. I also had a T-shirt printing company frrom 92-2015 and have printed a number of T-shirt for him. But never actually worked at DR or designed on a project with him. A shame, he is the Don.

The Pink Pistol

Yeah, Ian's a big inspiration of mine!

Number 3

@The Pink Pistol A legend.

Phresch

is there not a documentary about TDR out somewhere?

or did i dream that up?

The Pink Pistol

All I've seen are some interviews.

Phresch

maybe they were featured in some other documentary ive seen then

could be the "helvetica" one

Number 3

There has to something on DR somewhere.

Phresch

do you know about Eiko Ishioka's designs, Paul?

Bigly Striber

are your font's available for download anywhere as a TTF or any format?(edited)

did you listen to anything other than techno growing up? who or what was your first introduction to music?

Number 3

Eiko Ishioka... New to me. Is she a costume designer?

Phresch

yeah, she's done some amazing designs primarily with costumes. dracula, the fall, the cell.. etc. she passed away a few years ago sadly

http://fuckyeaheikoishioka.tumblr.com/

EIKO ISHIOKA

Dedicated to reblogging the amazing work of costume designer Eiko Ishioka (12-07-1938 - 21-01-2012)

Bigly Striber

why number 3 and not number 0

Number 3

@Bigly Striber Question 1 - I have all my fonts drawn up but need to get them all converted to .TTF and .OTF to make them keyboard type. You reckon people would be ineterested?

Phresch

oh definitely

Bigly Striber

i'd be interested. I would use it for the snareup website

Number 3

@Bigly Striber Question 2 - My music taste is braod but predominantly non-vocal and electronic.

Bigly Striber

I still haven't decided on a good font to use

NEW MESSAGES

Bigly Striber

i like your wide fonts. it reminds me of 90s 00s cyberpunk-ish thing

Number 3

Most of those fonts go back to the 90s

I should get some new font designs down

Phresch

designing fonts sounds like a lot of work

Number 3

Damn right. And I usually only stick to A-Z, 0-9 and a few punctuations marks. Fuck doing accents and a full set of punctuation and symbols.

But I love it though.

phresch

yeah, i love a good font set. i like checking dafont.com from time to time, and i'm amazed at some of the stuff people have put on there

its been good chatting with you, sir paul. hope to speak to you again soon!

hope you have a nice stay in germany

Number 3

@phresch You bet. Always a pleasure.

I am so excited about going to Berlin it is silly. I am like a little kid in the run up to Christmas, counting down the days.

Phresch

i'll bet you have a few fans there as well

Bigly Striber

@dr lopez i think is in Berlin right now(edited)

Bigly Striber

I've always wanted to go, this is your first time @Number 3?(edited)

Number 3

Hell no. I first went with Richard in March 92 when he played his first ever Aphex gig. It was at Tresor.

I have been three times since. So, the launch party for The Mover MMXVII will be my fifth time to Berlin.

Jessica Walrus

Any recomendation to make logos for self promotion? Like for music projects etc.

The Pink Pistol

I can actually help you @Jessica Walrus but I'm still learning

I can send examples of past work if you like

Jessica Walrus

@The Pink Pistol that would be cool

The Pink Pistol

whitley vouches for me i've done work for him before (not the watd logo they're using lol)

kattin

have you been to Detroit?

Number 3

@kattin Once. With Aphex on the NASA tour I mentioned earlier. November 1993. Would love to go back. I read that the guy who started Tresor in Berlin wants to open a Tresor in Detroit.

Kattin

yeah they had a party during Movement but I didn't make it. great scene going on here right now

Number 3

Detroit hold deep importance to me. A band I loved when I was 15-16, called the Age of Chance had a catchphrase - LEEDS - DETROIT - BERLIN - NEW YORK.

Comploud

toronto/ canada? my home city

Number 3

My sister-in-law lives in Seattle so I have been over to the states a lot more recently. What with my trip to New york in April for good measure.

The Age of Chance thing was in reference to harder, industrial music coming from harder, industrial cities. AOC were from Leeds, which was about 18 miles from where I was brought up

Archived