IGNORED

Musical discovery - what inspired the creation of your favourite records?

Polytrix

Sorry if this has already been discussed! 

So I'm really interested in the idea that the music that we love/inspires us is potentially rooted in something even better/purer that we may never hear unless we are pointed in that direction.

There are obviously sites which kind of recommend you artists in a similar genre/style but I'm more interested in digging back more specifically to what inspired a record/an artist as it's quite likely you'll hit gold when following that path. 

What I'd like is a site I can go onto where I can enter an artist's name and it populates a list of what the artist has said inspired their work from interviews etc. Although I agree it's part of the fun, it obviously takes time and effort to track down this information. If there was a central site/database with this information, you could then follow those leads. 

What would be even more interesting is to then see how these links are connected - so for instance AFX and BOC may have similar influences. So it's like a network of influences sort of thing.

I know there are images of how musical genres historically came into being, which I suppose is indicative of what inspires what in some ways, but I'd more like to sort of follow the trail of an artists inspirations rather than be nostalgic.

Hope this makes sense, I'm just sharing my thoughts  :beer:  :music:

Archived