IGNORED

Shallow Rewards // I Was a Twin Before You Were Born

Ragnar

YeshuaTejas, come get your mans

loool holy shit he has a Lemmy mustache - after a year of this dude being offline I guess I shouldn't be surprised 

looks like his twitter is back up too helllll yes

I've asked him directly about IDM in the past, off the bat I recall he hates BoC (which amuses me, sort of how my fav film critic Ebert disliked Empire of the Sun) but really liked Mike Paradinas' output. Also big fan of Seefeel and well versed in Manual / Morr Music...i.e. late 90s / early 00s post-shoegaze bedroom electronica / indietronica. He's also in that big camp of critics who was lukewarm toward Drukqs. When Yeezus came out he was mentioning AFX's more hardcore Analogue Bubblebath stuff as being similar to the harshest tracks on that album. 

Well this will be interesting, going to watch now...

I mean that second rant that Nebraska posted - it's basically Jello Biafra's rant on the state of intellectual property/music publishing/media conglomerates from No More Cocoons/High Priest of Harmful Matter but updated for the times, then mixed in with a little hipsterer-than-thou.

Like seriously I hope to fuck he never listened to a DJ who curated music while he was growing up, cause essentially that's what he's accusing these music supervisors of doing.

I can appreciate what Steve Albini has to say about IDM. I mean that guy has produced so much excellent heavy music that whatever beliefs allow him to do that work for him well. But that guy makes his own music and records great bands and I don't think he ever wrote for Pitchfork. I think Steve Albini knows a thing or two. 

Who is this guy and why did i waste even 5 minutes listening to him?

at the end he gets into the praise and what RDJ output he thinks is not just essential but also in his list of top 5 songs ever. much of it in the middle is like an audiobook version of a forum post about IDM fandom anecdotes 

what a load of horseshit.

Also why the fuck does he have such terrible hats! Indoors nonetheless!

ultradad

Yeah I feel old as fuck complaining about his headgear - it's just shite though, let's be honest.

Why would I care about his top 5 songs ever? I mean yeah he wrote for pitchfork - I don't think I've ever read a "serious" pitchfork review. I would assume like most posters in here that reviewers don't play a large role in dictating what I listen to.

Since I can't be arsed listening to him for 30 minutes (and I can't access youtub at work)what are his top 5 RDJ songs?

If it was Ott (the producer) I'd be much more inclined to listen to him tbh....

Since I can't be arsed listening to him for 30 minutes (and I can't access youtub at work)what are his top 5 RDJ songs?

To clarify he meant what would be in his shortlist of 5 favorite songs ever of any artists or genre - anyway they are 'xtal' and 'windowlicker' 

To clarify he meant what would be in his shortlist of 5 favorite songs ever of any artists or genre - anyway they are 'xtal' and 'windowlicker'
I’ll give him Xtal (though depending on my mood Tha is the better track from SAW 85-92) but windowlicker is pretty pleb tbh. At least choose the Luke vibert edit.

obviously not serious, just banter, at least with my comment on windowlicker

I’ll give him Xtal (though depending on my mood Tha is the better track from SAW 85-92) but windowlicker is pretty pleb tbh. At least choose the Luke vibert edit.

obviously not serious, just banter, at least with my comment on windowlicker

He talked up Windowlicker more in terms of composition/creation, Xtal seems clearly his #1. He talked a bit about Girl/Boy song and RDJ Album as well as Hangable Light Bulb. I get the scoffing at this video to a degree but anyone who watched it all the way through had to relate to how absurd being a RDJ completest could be, especially the early 00s EPs and remixes.

Part of the fun was tracking down all the ridiculous stuff - I managed to get a fair bit*, even living in South Korea (although to be fair I got most of it from trips to Japan).

I got rid of all my CDs though, and most of my vinyl.

Also I would have said the earlier stuff was much harder to acquire than the 2000s releases...

*fair bit means more than 95% of RDJ's output under all his monikers...

The Aphex video was interesting in a way, but the fact that he doesn’t like The Tuss makes me question his whole shit tbh

He doesn’t like The Tuss? Now I’m definitely going to have watch that to pass more harsh judgment. Lol

on somewhat of a tangent, I’m seriously thinking of becoming a completist again for the big 5 - Aphex, AE, BoC, Squarepusher, and Mike P

TBH it’s probably just a momentary mid-life weakness for the fetishization of physical objects. I’m already thinking about trying to move the fuckers back to Asia at some point in the future...

Oh god so I watched more of the OP video...

Just kill me now. How is this guy a music authority.

Also it's a good job he never got into Uwe Schmidt or Pete Namlook, he would have had to go into bankruptcy.

Archived