IGNORED

live streaming thread

modey

EDIT: Well this was fun :D you can watch the recording below

I kinda fucked up in the beginning but it got to some nice places. I think I'll make this a regular thing, every second Saturday morning, Melbourne time, to make it fair for international people..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sweet :D

I need to find a good time to stream so it's fair for people outside Australia; I'm thinking Saturday mornings for me would be good, but tonight is mostly a bit of a test to see if it'll work.

I'm watching it after the stream. there probably isn't any good time for someone like me, I can't tune in on-demand.

I'm watching it after the stream. there probably isn't any good time for someone like me, I can't tune in on-demand.

All good! It's basically a way for me to push content to my channel quickly, if I'm improvising on my gear etc. I'll do more scheduled, structured live streams as well, but it's nice to just be able to go live and capture a jam :D whether or not people watch live isn't that important.

EDIT: Well this was fun :D you can watch the recording below

I kinda fucked up in the beginning but it got to some nice places. I think I'll make this a regular thing, every second Saturday morning, Melbourne time, to make it fair for international people..

Gonna stream the final part of my "linear music" idea at the following location in just over four hours from the time of this post:

I'll be using the following gear:

Octatrack

Nord Modular

0-coast

and maybe some other stuff if I feel like it.. tune in if you can/want :D

oh god the music is nice but I'm definitely not a hardware guy, it's confusing without being a screen recording/GUI

that was really cool =) especially when you got talky, nice hearing you explain what you're doing a bit etc (i don't know anything bout hardware either).. would watch more! (hah just got up to the bit where someone suggests mic through the rig.. hell yeah!)

Yeah, next time I'll have a zoomed in version of the screen so it can be followed a bit more easily. I had to reduce the quality to 720p because Youtube said my connection wasn't good enough.. but now I realise it actually was, so I'll do 1080 next time! And yeah, definitely mic through the rig, haha.

Thanks for watching!

Enjoyed that! Can't say I totally understand what's going on but it sounds really cool in places. If it was me I'd just be recording all of that and then making tracks from the cool bits.

Out of interest, can you record out track by track from the octa or are you limited to just a summed master out to record from?

Thanks! I just recorded the stereo mix. I've heard there's a way to record the tracks to CF card but I don't think it's possible. I prefer to get the mix sounding nice when jamming and then edit/master later; yeah, pretty much what you said. I have nearly five hours of recordings from these sessions so I've got my work cut out for me!

I have been thinking of doing live streams for a long time as a form of practice and also a way of playing concerts without actually getting out and interacting with people. Glad to see that you got started with the thing, hopefully I will get off my ass and do something like that too someday.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, I've been occasionally livestreaming B movies for a few years and have an old desktop set up as a dedicated video streaming box, but I don't have any kind of capture hardware in it and all I have in the way of cameras are a 90 security camera and an early 80s portable tube camera, which definitely have a certain appeal but would also mean I'd need a lot of light.  Also, these days my workflow is almost all overdubbing, so going back to doing stuff in real time would take a bit of practice.

This thread is definitely making me start thinking about it more seriously, though, it seems like a good way to help fill the gap since I stopped playing out regularly back in 2014 or so.

Yeah, I think ultimately I'll be aiming to adapt my ideal live set format (ie. longer than the usual 30min-1 hour slot) into a live stream.. mixed with live track builds like the above, or even both combined I guess. Would be interesting to have that completely replace my desire to play live shows.

Yeah, playing live shows just isn't proving practical anymore for me.  In bands it was a whole different thing, because very band I was in the drummer always owned a van (except for the high school/college band, but we were only a three piece with a minimal drum kit and one guy who just played a flute and a Casio SK-1 through a wah pedal, so we didn't have much stuff to move and could fit it in his hatchback, plus we mainly recorded stuff on an old portastudio and only played maybe 40 or 50 live shows in 8 years).  Playing solo always ends up feeling more like work than fun.  I'd love to be able to just livestream and get even a small crowd to show up and watch, it's not the same as playing in front of an audience but it would still help a bit with getting the real time feedback you just can't get when you're recording stuff on your own and sharing it later.

Yeah for sure, I agree with all of that. Don't get me wrong, I still love going to shows with nothing but my gameboy micro and completely obliterating everyone with nanoloop2 bass, but lugging the Nord Modular, OT and who knows what else out to a gig isn't fun.

I would love to start streaming, but I always get a big mental block when it actually comes to taking the plunge. Common excuses include:

1) I haven't really got a live set ready and while I have a lot of songs, right now Weeklybeats and my real band has taken most of the time so I haven't got time to prepare a set.

2) I don't have a camera/camera stand to film with and how do I even stream with an external camera while the audio is coming from my interface.

3) What if I fuck up the solos?

4) :cattears:

5) :catcry:

6) :catsupine:

etc.

I would love to start streaming, but I always get a big mental block when it actually comes to taking the plunge. Common excuses include:

1) I haven't really got a live set ready and while I have a lot of songs, right now Weeklybeats and my real band has taken most of the time so I haven't got time to prepare a set.

2) I don't have a camera/camera stand to film with and how do I even stream with an external camera while the audio is coming from my interface.

1. Perhaps the streaming could be rehearsal/test runs of being able to get a set going on the fly? I like it when performances are more spontaneous and/or precarious, it shows that things are real :D

2. If you use a webcam and OBS you can configure it so you get the video from the webcam and audio from your interface, and even do nice things like switch to show software on your computer screen, or have an inset of a closeup of your gear's screens etc. It's an amazing piece of software and it's free.

3. Related to my response of the first point. People either love that shit or don't notice most of the time.

1. Perhaps the streaming could be rehearsal/test runs of being able to get a set going on the fly? I like it when performances are more spontaneous and/or precarious, it shows that things are real :D

2. If you use a webcam and OBS you can configure it so you get the video from the webcam and audio from your interface, and even do nice things like switch to show software on your computer screen, or have an inset of a closeup of your gear's screens etc. It's an amazing piece of software and it's free.

3. Related to my response of the first point. People either love that shit or don't notice most of the time.

Ideally I'd just stream me sitting down and jamming from more or less scratch, as a form of practice, so that the aspect of streaming and having other people present will force me not to get stuck in the same loop forever. On the other hand, since it is a kind of performance, I want it to be at a certain level.

Thanks for the advice and pointers though! I don't have a webcam but I do have a spare interface and laptop which I could use for the streaming part, although it really seems easier to keep everything in one box. That OBS software seems great as it looks like I could also run visuals in a separate window and broadcast that too or something. :)

I haven't used it, but here's a python script that adds MIDI controller support to OBS, so you could theoretically integrate control of your video stream into your performance:

https://github.com/lebaston100/MIDItoOBS

Actually, good point about streaming visuals, I'm learning Processing at the moment and it'd be nice to have live responsive visuals on my streams.. perhaps even overlaid on top of the webcam footage..!

Actually, good point about streaming visuals, I'm learning Processing at the moment and it'd be nice to have live responsive visuals on my streams.. perhaps even overlaid on top of the webcam footage..!

I thought that's what you had going on the Donkey Kong video, no? Was that just post-processing or something?

I had an amazing collection of Processing samples from some book. They're free to download but guess what - I have misplaced the link!

Found it though: new version + code. Old version + code.

For a while I've been kind of on the fence about whether, if I start livestreaming or doing occasional tutorial videos or whatever, I'll do it normally or do it with a chromakey hood (and/or gloves depending on the camera angle) on and some kind of generative video effect keyed in over my face.  I don't actually care about my face being online or anything, but the idea of being ma sort of mysterious as a gimmick appeals to me.

I thought that's what you had going on the Donkey Kong video, no? Was that just post-processing or something?

Nah, for that I literally just laid my second monitor flat on the surface of my usual video setup and put the POs on top.. and played back a pre-blurred video of DKC footage (actually you can see my reflection at the bottom a few times if you look carefully).. and then overlaid that same footage over it in Premiere.. lol, poor man's chromakeying I guess :D

I'm surprised at how good it looks; it's funny how my new webcam (Logitech C922) seems to be better quality for overhead shots than my other more expensive cameras, including my DSLR.

For a while I've been kind of on the fence about whether, if I start livestreaming or doing occasional tutorial videos or whatever, I'll do it normally or do it with a chromakey hood (and/or gloves depending on the camera angle) on and some kind of generative video effect keyed in over my face.  I don't actually care about my face being online or anything, but the idea of being ma sort of mysterious as a gimmick appeals to me.

Ha, that's something that crossed my mind, but I couldn't be bothered setting it up. Too late now, I've already revealed my face on my channel :P

Archived