IGNORED

Korg M01D - Nintendo 3DS

Guest jasondonervan

Guest jasondonervan

Headed to the 3DS eShop as a downloadable edition. May for Japan, 'Summer' for Rest of World:

KORG M01D has been optimized for the 3DS hardware and doubles the amount of voices to 24. You can make tunes with up to 99 scenes using the 8 track / 64 step sequencer and 342 sounds. What’s really useful for 3DS music makers is you can save MIDI song data to an SD card.

So, is it just presets or can you edit the sounds in anyway?

Anyway, I could use this for composing when travelling since I can export the MIDI data to Renoise when back at home if I'm reading this right. 3DS is easier to carry around than a laptop and I don't have a tablet computer. My 3DS has been mostly collecting dust so far.

Guest The Bro

My 3DS has kinda been collecting dust too. I don't think this will replace my Ipod for Beatmaking duties but its certainly is a long long overdue development. I mean imo Nintendo missed the boat here completely as the 3DS could be a very powerful music making tool as well as games machine.

Oh man, sounds awfull. I had fun with the DS-10plus, but I have no love for the korg M1, and the sounds it made. I guess it works if you want to recreate the glory days of stock aitken waterman.

Please don't.

I think the tiny screens are the biggest problems in 3DS for music making. It's hard to fit any comprehensive UI in that space.

I do have the Korg DS10 for the plain old NDS. It's fun to play with but not very useful as a music making tool.

Oh man, sounds awfull. I had fun with the DS-10plus, but I have no love for the korg M1, and the sounds it made. I guess it works if you want to recreate the glory days of stock aitken waterman.

Please don't.

Yeah, I was more thinking of this as a tool for composition and then using different sounds on the actual track done with a PC and analog gear.

Yeah, me stupid. It could be handy for just jutting down some ideas on the commute and then exporting the midi. Not bad.

Yeah, me stupid. It could be handy for just jutting down some ideas on the commute and then exporting the midi. Not bad.

I'm sure there are android apps that can do this..

Which they'd beefed up the DS10 with better sequencer editing.

I'm tempted to get a 2nd hand DSi XL so I can jam on the plus version

I love DS 10 and did a bunch of trax with it. I wanted the original M01 cart real bad but it was always super expensive in the USA. Hopefully this will drive the price down!

I am very leery of any but very large touchscreens being useful for music creation as far as note input goes.

An APC40-style grid for firing off loops? Maybe. But I don't think I'd feel very good about anything I tapped in on that tiny device.

• 6 months later...
Guest cult fiction

Please don't.

If you can listen to a lot of early house, you can't help but have a real soft spot for the M1's sounds.

The vocal-y presets are quite beautiful.

• 8 months later...
Guest jasondonervan

It's already out on the Japanese eshop. Kinda tempted to pick it up (I have a JP 3DS) but it's not too long to wait for the EU version.

Archived