IGNORED

Plaid - The Digging Remedy

fumi

Pre-ordered from their Bleep Store, as they said this supports them directly. Downside: no immediate download of Clock. And I only get mp3, not flac. Oh well.

I suspect Bleep offer mp3 + flac to encourage you to buy there and not from Plaid. Those fiends! (could be wrong)

Would be nice if I could upgrade the vinyl to include flac also, for say an extra two quid.

The vinyl comes with Flac.

Screenshot%202016-04-28%2022.37.05.png?r

From Bleep, yes. But not on Plaid's bleepstore page.

https://plaid.databeats.com/vinyl/warplp277

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

this is all so confusing. why have bleepstore if we have bleep. why bleep store have different freebies to ... the other ... bleep store ? whaaat :psyduck: *brain melt*

• 2 weeks later...

Going to temper my expectations with this new album. 'Reachy Prints' was their best work in well over a decade (IMO).

I agree it will be tough to top Reachy Prints - just hoping this one is fun all the way through. I have no reason to believe this won't be great. Clock is no Hawkmoth or Wallet, but is still a great track and has me really eager for the rest of the album.

Guest WNS000

Clock didn't do anything to me. They are not adventurous with sounds enough in my opinion. Sounds like another new-ish Plaid track to me tbh. Will check the album though.

Clock didn't do anything to me. They are not adventurous with sounds enough in my opinion. Sounds like another new-ish Plaid track to me tbh. Will check the album though.

Yeah but it's the age-old dilemma for successful artists. If they push things too far, they risk alienating their core audience, which in turn leads to lost sales. The trick is to mix it up without upsetting people too much.

That is too bad if money really influence their artistic output.

It's probably not them. More the record company.

There are a whole bunch of people working behind the scenes that need to be paid.

Guest WNS000

I would expect it from a different label than Warp though. Autechre shows no signs of compromise for example.

I would expect it from a different label than Warp though. Autechre shows no signs of compromise for example.

Different band. Utterly different scenario. They can and will do anything because their fans have grown to expect that kind of experimentation. And the record label is happy because it still sells.

Guest WNS000

Might be. Interesting points. But still kind of hard to believe. I mean more Not For Threes approach to experimentation would suffice in their context imo. The new stuff feels really sterile. Just sequences with sounds that are convenient to sequence with (similar to using piano for composing stuff if you know what I mean).

Guest WNS000

Their best? I think Not For Threes was many times better. More varied, more experimental, more fresh even today. And I am hardly nostalgic as I have been listening to them only for a couple of years now. They should do more samples or make more dirty synth design. They are great composers but the sounds are their weakness in most cases.

Guest Chesney

I disagree, Clock is standard plaid by numbers but a great listen nonetheless. I doubt it's the theme of the album. The other tracks won't be structurely dumbed down I don't think. I guess this track just felt like the one they should use as the teaser for them. maybe it was the easiest and most accessible to do for the remix/stems idea. Maybe that idea influenced the outcome of the track slightly. I have no doubt that the new album will hold some quirkier plaid gold.

i think plaid are pretty self-sufficient,studio/production wise,and they are prolific compared to a lot of similar artists,and they also play live frequently,i like to think they do all that because they still love what they do,and the quality of the material shows no signs of dropping anytime soon,...and clock is amazin

Plaid have never said they push boundaries, they are more into refinement of what they've done, to the point there's the criticism that is it just 'sounds like Plaid'. I am fine with it, as long as the melodies are new and brilliant. Clock sounds brilliant to me, so I'm stoked.

I can see the complaint, but honestly what does change in their music--melodies, which they've never repeated as far as I can tell--are the reason I come back, more than re-inventing themselves structurally or sound wise with every release.

Guest Chesney

agree bech. They have crafted themselves a niche and they stick to it and the melodic ideas just keep coming. Some artists you just want to stay as they are otherswise you end up craving for the past if they don't go in the direction you want them to.

i actually think plaid and ae are the only two 'classic' warp acts that have manage to continue to evolve (although the new ae track from the other day suggests that they may be in a bit of a rut imo). scintilli and reachy prints don't sound 'convenient' to me, they're just.. a little more subtle.

Archived