IGNORED

Mastering

Guest version2006

Guest version2006

Who does the mastering for Aphex Twin releases?

I've often wondered if the mastering engineer changes much in the mastering process to get those rediculous volumes and to "clean up" the whole mix.

I've never seen one credited...

?

Who does the mastering for Aphex Twin releases?

I've often wondered if the mastering engineer changes much in the mastering process to get those rediculous volumes and to "clean up" the whole mix.

I've never seen one credited...

?

he probably does it all himself. alot of his tracks have an un-mastered feel to them....

Guest AlexPallas

listening to the caustic window compilation in wav yesterday i was discussted. it makes me wonder if they just ripped the vinyls rather than the original dats.

Guest theflame...

you know how some of the releases have 'porky prime cut' engraved in them? well, Porky is a mastering engineer who did some of the beatles shit, amongst others. might just be a reference to the guy, but i suspect he did some of the early stuff...

you know how some of the releases have 'porky prime cut' engraved in them? well, Porky is a mastering engineer who did some of the beatles shit, amongst others. might just be a reference to the guy, but i suspect he did some of the early stuff...

i've got a few records with the engraving - windowlicker being the only one i can remember - but i thought it was to do with the record mastering and pressing, which i assumed was somehow different from regular mastering

Guest version2006
but i thought it was to do with the record mastering and pressing, which i assumed was somehow different from regular mastering

The vinyl pre-masterer could be someone who is checking phase and running an RIAA curve to keep the cutter from coming off of the lathe. There is always an engineer that performs these tasks at the plant.

This person could also be in charged of pre-mastering the actual tune to achieve "competitive" volume using any combination of clipping, compression, EQ, etc.

Archived